Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 11:18 AM

961 posts, read 2,465,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Well I think they are 2 different cities. I always say Chicago is the little sister to it's big brother NYC.

What I like about NYC is it's a city of cities. I'd say yes, NYC would most def supplement many of the pros about living in Chicago.

Chicago is a great place and sometimes think of moving back.....I did not move away because I wanted to. A job opp came open.

Considering I am a city boy, it was only a matter of time before i move to NYC. I don't know one Chicagoan that does not like NYC. There is never a comparison by native Chicagoan's.

They really are 2 different cities. Chicago is easier to mange, meaning it's not too big to where it overwhelms you. It's a very family friendly city. You listen some folks in the NYC forum talk about the grind, it's not like that in Chicago. It's just a BIG mid-western city. It feels very m-w as well. I don't think Chi is all that fast neither. A lot of people think it is a fast paced city but I don't.

To be honest, I'd rather be in London or Toronto......but NYC will do. I'd just have too many complications moving to another country but that would be the ultimate lifestyle.

Chicago is very mid-western and NYC is very eastern. Even with all of the transplant's moving into NYC, from the m-w, it still retains it's eastern appeal.
I've known many people from the Southside of Chicago when I lived in the South, and most of them love NYC and those that haven't been want to see it. And most consistently Brooklyn happens to be their favorite part, especially amongst black Chicagoans, Common, who lived in Fort Greene says it reminds him of home. But I think the other point you brought up is why my sister likes Chicago, it is easier to manage. And she is also drawn to the strong political activisim of the city's black middle class.

But in spite of my complaints about the city's cost of living, I'm a city boy through and through and love NY and wouldn't trade it for anywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 11:36 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,190,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twist07 View Post
I've known many people from the Southside of Chicago when I lived in the South, and most of them love NYC and those that haven't been want to see it. And most consistently Brooklyn happens to be their favorite part, especially amongst black Chicagoans, Common, who lived in Fort Greene says it reminds him of home. But I think the other point you brought up is why my sister likes Chicago, it is easier to manage. And she is also drawn to the strong political activisim of the city's black middle class.

But in spite of my complaints about the city's cost of living, I'm a city boy through and through and love NY and wouldn't trade it for anywhere else.
You lived South? Where? Hyde Park?

The cost of living in NYC, for me, is a moot point. I'm ambitious and very optimistic. I focus on what I can achieve. That said, I've put myself in a position to be able to afford to live there.

NYC or any city for that matter has it's flaws but I know how to find what I like and what works for me and leave the bickering to those unhappy souls that will never be happy anywhere.

I see you live in NYC now. Is that BKLN?

Old 07-10-2011, 01:25 PM

2 posts, read 13,570 times
I have lived in Astoria Queens since 1994. It is one of my favorite places where the pros outweigh the cons and it has been improving steadily since I arrived. But one poster made a good point there is a change after 3- 5 years of living in a large and rather unique city such as NYC. After 5 years you are settled and have a pattern and know your favorite places and where to go when times are flush and when they are not. But your priorities start to change due to your experience here. Here are things you have in NYC which are top rated in the US from my experience:

Access to inexpensive performing, visual and theatrical arts. If you look carefully you could see a Met Opera for $20, get concert tickets at Carnegie for a great concert for under $25, many free concerts at churches, jazz , comedy and alt stuff at Cornelia Street Cafe Vanguard for under $25. Also, you can come across wonderful finds - I heard this band mix bartok, Violent Femmes and early 70's rock into this cool blend a few weeks ago at this wonderful wine bar in my nabe - $7 . That is the essence of NYC - to hear blends of styles hard to find anywhere else in the US cheaply.

Museums and stuff for kids - Surprise, there are tons of things offered to kids at little cost, Museum of Natural History, free city pools, three zoos, stores geared to kids - Toys R' Us ferris wheel, American Girl

Education - CUNY has one of the lowest tuitions in the country and I never have been to a city with so many opportunities to evening classes - from music composition to Babylonian art to Financial planning. There are good schools for kids but again the challenge is research research research.

Access - it is a walking city where it is great to get lost for the most part - and you will always come back with a (good fun one most of the time - at worst interesting and maybe a little unsettling) story. The subway is slow but works and with all of the advisories provided and Hop and Stop life is much easier.

Cons -

Congestion, noise and pollution, The pollution is not as bad as when I'd go with my family to NYC in the 70's and it is so much safer and far more neighborhoods are in good shape. Madison Park in 1988 where I had my first job was derelict and the city was only beginning its reconstruction - it was basically an arbor for the homeless. Today, it is a gorgeous park.

Pollution in NYC is not as bad as you think as there have been efforts to curtail it with cleaners energy generating plants, waste incinerators, no smoking zones and installation of more pedestrian and bike paths (sometimes it can backfire - Union Square - some parts are great but the southern edge, the traffic congestion can be atrocious)

Of the three above congestion and noise can be bad. It depends too where you live - there are parts of NYC in Manhattan (like Ft Tryon , Inwood) where you'd never believe you're in NYC. Yet in areas of Inwood/Washington Heights you'd think your living in a Central American/Caribbean carnival hell.

For cost of living, housing costs are the biggest factor and it is getting more difficult now the areas close to the city in the boros are getting expensive. Note that the housing slump actually has made it a market ideal for landlords of rentals as many prospective homeowners or people who have foreclosed are renting. Formerly cheap areas such as Astoria, Williamsburg, Fort Green, Park Slope, Prospect Heights are no longer bargains. Some cheap areas such as greenpoint you have to be very very careful as sections of them are highly polluted (other areas are some section of Hunts Point, the few cheap areas of Long Island City and the very very northern reaches of Astoria - power plants mostly). If you need a car - you are asking for headaches where parking ticket violations start at $150 pop. Food is more expensive.

Note - nabes that are still deals and still not far from the city- Jackson Height,s Sunnyside Woodside in Queens. If you want more upscale living but at cheaper cost Forest Hills Gardens is lovely as well as some of the surrounding areas. For Brooklyn, inexpensive - Sunset Park, Lefferts Gardens (well maybe, haven't been there in a bit) , parts of Bed Sty, some parts of Bushwick portions of Prospect Heights and maybe a few pockets of Crown Heights. If you want a little more upscale portions of Prospect Height snear Fulton and the park, Ditmas Park (though Ditmas Park is pretty far from Manhattan). Note entirely an expert on Brooklyn and Bronx. Bronx - actually areas of the South Bronx have improved very much and if you shop closely you may find a good deal. I also love an area call Van Cortlandt park right on the southern border of the Park (the park itself is worth a visit). That is one of the few areas of the Bronx I'd live in.

Noise I find bothers me the most and this is where I find New Yorkers rude - loud cell phone talking, incredibly loud music from cars, midtown Manhattan on a weekday can be deafening with trucks, cabbies, police cars - I honestly would try to avoid portions of Midtown Manhattan at those time due to the noise.

Finally, the job market is so-so in NYC, depends on your profession and skill set. For me it has been a struggle as an exec/admin assist.

Old 07-10-2011, 05:37 PM

927 posts, read 2,227,038 times
If you asked me this question two years ago, I would have said no. I lived in NYC a couple of years for grad school, eagerly moved back home to Atlanta, and recently moved back to the city to continue with another degree.

In my first experience, I thought NYC was overrated, dirty, smelly, unnecessarily congested, loud, and just a pain to live in. I was more than happy to move back down south.

For some reason in this second go-round, I am absolutely in love with New York. While I've only been here two weeks, I think where I'm at in life right now is more at an NYC pace than I was before. I've got bounds of energy, am motivated in what I decided my career path to be, and, especially since it's summer, have been lured by and taking full advantage of NYC's round-the-clock atmosphere ( 1 am Forever 21 purchase FTW).

Since I already built a network up here from before, I now have people to consistently hang out with. Your social relationships make a big difference in how you enjoy the city. Since I was spankin new and hadn't yet had a bunch of friends, no amount of free concerts, yoga in the park, free movies on the pier, etc could make me enjoy it.

It can be a truly great place for folks in their early to mid twenties who don't mind roommates (me!), or well-to-do folks who can afford to enjoy the niceties of the city. If I were expecting to be of just average income and wanted to raise a family, then I'm sure I'd tire of the grind. But I hope to earn a decent amount, so I can actually see myself settling here. I might experience LA just for experience sake, but I consider myself more of an NYC girl. The only other place I could otherwise settle in would be Atlanta. But for now, I very much love the city.

Last edited by bizchick86; 07-10-2011 at 05:45 PM..

Old 07-10-2011, 05:44 PM

927 posts, read 2,227,038 times
I would also add to not underestimate location in your perception of New York. I lived in a far, far part of Brooklyn because my rent was super cheap (read: free) but had a super lengthy commute to the city for school. I spent so much time commuting because I wanted to save money that I was often too tired to enjoy New York.

I decided I would not allow myself to live in the boondocks just to save a little cash, and I'm so glad I did. Most of the places I frequent are two subway stops or less away, and my friends are situated just minutes from me. To any NY newbies, obviously don't live beyond your means, but don't let the allure of cheap rent ruin your experience. You only live once, you can sacrifice the money just a bit!

Old 07-10-2011, 06:21 PM

Hi Bizchick,

Great posts.

Ron

Old 07-10-2011, 08:54 PM

961 posts, read 2,465,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
You lived South? Where? Hyde Park?

The cost of living in NYC, for me, is a moot point. I'm ambitious and very optimistic. I focus on what I can achieve. That said, I've put myself in a position to be able to afford to live there.

NYC or any city for that matter has it's flaws but I know how to find what I like and what works for me and leave the bickering to those unhappy souls that will never be happy anywhere.

I see you live in NYC now. Is that BKLN?
No, I never had the pleasure of living in Chicago, I do have cousins in Hyde Park/Kenwood area. I lived in THE South, as in Florida. I now live in Brooklyn on the Bed-Stuy/Clinton Hill border, I've never felt more at home than I do here. I came back in order to pursue an interest I wouldn't have been able to down there, and also for the sheer fact of prefering Urban life. Just today I stumbled upon a "House" music party in Fort Greene Park, spontenaiety with little effort.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twist07 View Post
No, I never had the pleasure of living in Chicago, I do have cousins in Hyde Park/Kenwood area. I lived in THE South, as in Florida. I now live in Brooklyn on the Bed-Stuy/Clinton Hill border, I've never felt more at home than I do here. I came back in order to pursue an interest I wouldn't have been able to down there, and also for the sheer fact of prefering Urban life. Just today I stumbled upon a "House" music party in Fort Greene Park, spontenaiety with little effort.
Oh, okay....FL. got it.

Hyde is decent for sure. Kenwood is Obama's stomping ground.

I'll add you to my CD friends list. I can use a good contact in BK.

The area of Fort Greene is a area that I am looking into based on another thread I started a week or so ago.

I know what you mean about city life. I love it. The ability to walk everywhere, if you choose to do so is awesome and healthy.

I never owned a car in Chicago but in Ohio, you need one. I have not purchased one yet due in part to me living a short walk to work and the area I live in is very urban AND my plans to move in 2012......I don't feel it's a good idea to spend the money If am going to be leaving soon.

I walk everywhere, take a taxi or catch the bus....but the pub. transport. here is nothing like a major city. On Sunday, the bus stops running at 8:30pm.

The only thing is, most people( mainly women that I am trying to pursue that have never lived in a Chicago or NYC) don't understand the city life, so soon as I say I don't have a car, they look at me like I am a total loser.......LOL.

"What, no car?" I never hear from them again...........It's all good.

I took a cab 1 day from work to meet some friends for dinner, when my coworkers saw me get into the cab, as we were leaving for they day, they had funny looks on their faces. I could see them look away fast as if they did not want me to see them looking.

I thought to myself.."man do these people ever go anywhere".....LOL.

I just laugh and keep it moving. I love my lifestyle. I can't wait to get back to a real city.

Last edited by Ron.; 07-10-2011 at 09:46 PM..

Old 07-11-2011, 03:38 AM

1 posts, read 1,966 times
New York is ruff, but if your are young and single it is a great place. I personally just moved into an apartment 3 block away from a major strip of bars and when I am not working hard I am partying. It is not a place for retired, married, older, etc but great for youngins like me. I dont even have to plan where I am going to take the girls I am dating, I just go to [url]www.love4newyork.com[/url] and all the new events from new clubs opning to charities (someytimes the girls are into that, show I am a nice guy yada yada ~ ). I will admit though one day when I settle doen I would love to go somewhere with water and a more quite surrounding. A driveway and garage would be nice, way too expensive to live here. Hope I helped you out, you can always try to for a alittle bit. Just get an apartment with a monthly no contract so you can leave whenever you want.

LooTz
Player Pimp

Old 07-11-2011, 05:34 AM

1,812 posts, read 3,361,018 times
got tired of the bs and the weather and my landlord offered me some serious cash to leave my rent control apt so i did and moved to the west coast. I don't regret it at all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City