Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 08:38 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,277,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
As with everything in life, it all depends on your attitude. If you continue to look at NYC as an exciting and stimulating place, you will get it in return. If you look at NYC as a hectic city that traps you, you'll get that in return.
I am actually the NY'er poster that put that quote in another thread.

njnyckid,

I partially agree with you.

NYC where I grew up is a GREAT place, actually one of my favorite for sentimental value but also just for what it is. There is a lot of depth to the city. Its why it attracts millions every year to either visit or move there.

Now the 3-5 year window that I used in my example is what I have seen over and over for the people that "try" it. Typically they are not from the northeast, have never been to NYC and are trying to establish their careers (as I mentioned). For this its great. Some do really well and build a nice life for themselves and leverage to move around.
More times than not they are the family type that grew up in rural or suburbia environs, its a change that is fun, but then loses its novelty when life starts changing and tastes start changing. The ones that dont have a plan are the ones that stick around or in some cases stay "trapped".
THe "Trapped" ones feel they have so much invested into their lives in that they feel they would have to start over again if they had moved, make less money, make new friends etc etc. I guess like watching a movie about a couple is in an abusive relationship where the victim cant leave.
At this point, its no different than ANYWHERE else except the financial aspect or COL.

This isnt a bad thing at all. They like it. But the part where they start hating it and the slow deterioration after that 3-5 year mark. Growing up, life changing (it happens).
They get into a relationship, maybe get married and want to spread out a bit. Maybe their careers never panned out the way they wanted and they are slaving it, but know that if they leave NY, their pay will be much less for something comparable.
So they try to move to the outer Burroughs, or NJ, CT where they think its 'cheaper' or there is more room etc. Maybe they are trying to save for a house or moving. But guess what? All they are really doing is shifting patterns. Its not as "cheap" as they thought, because now a commute is involved, its still overcrowded, traffic bottlenecks and in some ways almost makes more sense to just live in the City where you dont have to deal with bridge and tunnel madness.
When you live with it day in/out its amazing what you can get used to. But when you realize there is heck of a lot more to life than commuting over 2 hours a day to get to a job to support an average life outside of work, it can be a pretty depressing situation. This is why people start hating it. Its when livelihood doesnt match the time vested into the daily grind.

So the OP was asking if people actually "LIKE" living in the city. I would say generally yes, and when compared to a commute going in/out, I would say definitely. But a 3-5 year window is about right before changes in ones life start taking shape and needs change.

Last edited by shmoov_groovzsd; 07-09-2011 at 08:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 02:20 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,918,406 times
I hate it here, I hope I'll get the chance to leave soon.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:10 AM

1,583 posts, read 3,678,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Imagine if everyone who says they hate this city actually picked themselves up and left? The rest of us would be so happy...it would almost be illegal!
But of course they'd still be here on the C-D forum doing this:

I seriously contemplated leaving NYC before, but then I found a good job here and will be staying. And besides, my reasons for loving the city have always overpowered whatever dislikes I had.
I always say the only reason I'd move out of here is if I got the opportunity to live in a different country. I would like to move to a different neighborhood though...

Old 07-10-2011, 08:26 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,610,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
I would like to move to a different neighborhood though...
That's a completely different ball of wax! I like my apartment in Midwood. But if I could find that mythical loft (mythical because it's both as huge as a gymnasium and affordable!) I'd move to another neighborhood, as well.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:40 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,188,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I have a lot of love for new york city. But as soon as I get a chance, peace see you later. NYC is a fantastic city dont get me wrong but living here for a long time wears you out and the craziest part is you never really have time or energy to enjoy what the city has to offer.
Those that don't have the financial means may not have time because they are always working.

You cannot speak for everyone. Not everyone is in the position you're in.

You're getting worn out.....you don't know what others are getting.

Please don't say: Oh, I know lots of friends, family and coworkers that all agree".

IF that's the case, that means all of you are in the same boat financially.

That's what it boils down to in the city. Can you afford the lifestyle and the cost to live there?

Old 07-10-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyF View Post
Based on my previous thread, I want to know how you feel about the city you live in. DO you actually like living there, or do you hate it like the majority of people?
LOL............no, you hate it.

Let me see your data from the research you did. I want to see how you came up with the majority hate the city.

Can I see it?

You based this on this tiny forum? not even a quarter of 1% on NYer's post on this forum. You're basing your flawed thread on the ULTRA small number of people that post in this forum?

Laughable.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:49 AM

91 posts, read 164,393 times
Its not uncommon for people who have lived in a city for awhile to want to move or talk about moving somewhere else. When I was in Pittsburgh people did it, now I'm in St Louis and people talk about moving somewhere else, and when I come to NYC next year, I'm sure people will be talking about it. People tend to think there is something better out there, if I lived in such and such city, it would be way better.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoaeve View Post
I actually didn't realize how much I like NYC until I had moved to Jersey City.

I missed the convenience.

Yes Jersey is cool but it's nothing like "The Big Apple". I lived there for three years.

New York has a flavor no other city has and I guess it's true when they say "Once a NY'er always a NY'er".

Now that I'm back living here, I can say I'm never leaving again.

That's how I feel about Chicago......once I left the city and moved elsewhere... I really miss Chicago now. I miss the convenience..........

Old 07-10-2011, 10:32 AM

961 posts, read 2,465,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post

That's how I feel about Chicago......once I left the city and moved elsewhere... I really miss Chicago now. I miss the convenience..........
I figured you were from the Chi. Would you say moving to NY would supplement many of the pros about living in Chicago? I know you like NY but my sister is always bigging up Chicago and saying how its a better city.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twist07 View Post
I figured you were from the Chi. Would you say moving to NY would supplement many of the pros about living in Chicago? I know you like NY but my sister is always bigging up Chicago and saying how its a better city.
Well I think they are 2 different cities. I always say Chicago is the little sister to it's big brother NYC.

What I like about NYC is it's a city of cities. I'd say yes, NYC would most def supplement many of the pros about living in Chicago.

Chicago is a great place and sometimes think of moving back.....I did not move away because I wanted to. A job opp came open.

Considering I am a city boy, it was only a matter of time before i move to NYC. I don't know one Chicagoan that does not like NYC. There is never a comparison by native Chicagoan's.

They really are 2 different cities. Chicago is easier to mange, meaning it's not too big to where it overwhelms you. It's a very family friendly city. You listen some folks in the NYC forum talk about the grind, it's not like that in Chicago. It's just a BIG mid-western city. It feels very m-w as well. I don't think Chi is all that fast neither. A lot of people think it is a fast paced city but I don't.

To be honest, I'd rather be in London or Toronto......but NYC will do. I'd just have too many complications moving to another country but that would be the ultimate lifestyle.

Chicago is very mid-western and NYC is very eastern. Even with all of the transplant's moving into NYC, from the m-w, it still retains it's eastern appeal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City