Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 02:14 AM

542 posts, read 1,479,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyF View Post
Based on my previous thread, I want to know how you feel about the city you live in. DO you actually like living there, or do you hate it like the majority of people?

I live in Astoria and I LOVE it! I don't think I would like living in most parts of Manhattan, although there are a few that I do like (Upper West Side, West Village). I love that I am so close to the city, yet where I live is so much calmer in energy (and yes still very much alive).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 05:53 PM

11 posts, read 36,885 times
But doesn't it get old and unbearable for a while?
One ex-New Yorker said:
However, NYC is great for maybe 3-5 years for an adult trying to establish a career before it starts eating away at you. Then you either leave or stay trapped. There are tons of reasons why people leave or stay, but the one I have heard the most is that they wont make more money outside of NYC. While this may be true, there is no dollar amount that would make me ever go back to live and work. Live, yes, on an ungodly sum of money, but the live/work life can get repetitive and grueling after a while.
I imagine this is more true of NYC than any other place. Doesn't it get old after like two years?

Old 07-08-2011, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetBAller85 View Post
based on her previous thread, most people who responded want to leave. thats where the info came from.
Because the question and theme of that thread catered to those people. So to make the assumption that the people who responded in that thread is reflective of the nyc population at large is completely inaccurate.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:08 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,838,927 times
Quote:
One ex-New Yorker said:
However, NYC is great for maybe 3-5 years for an adult trying to establish a career before it starts eating away at you. Then you either leave or stay trapped. There are tons of reasons why people leave or stay, but the one I have heard the most is that they wont make more money outside of NYC. While this may be true, there is no dollar amount that would make me ever go back to live and work. Live, yes, on an ungodly sum of money, but the live/work life can get repetitive and grueling after a while.
I imagine this is more true of NYC than any other place. Doesn't it get old after like two years?

I'm in the third year of residence and it's not old to me.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:23 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,562,902 times
Quote:
One ex-New Yorker said:
As with everything in life, it all depends on your attitude. If you continue to look at NYC as an exciting and stimulating place, you will get it in return. If you look at NYC as a hectic city that traps you, you'll get that in return.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
As with everything in life, it all depends on your attitude. If you continue to look at NYC as an exciting and stimulating place, you will get it in return. If you look at NYC as a hectic city that traps you, you'll get that in return.
And I would just add, that is true WHEREVER you are.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:57 PM

205 posts, read 507,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
Eh.....I dont know. I had a great attitude when I came here. Slowly over the years living here it has changed. It was cool while it lasted but it its time to go.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:07 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,811,621 times
People like HollyF are miserable, if you want to leave then LEAVE. Stop trying to justify you wanting to leave lol. As of right now I love where I live... is there a chance that I might leave of course things in life happens but as of right now im content.

Old 07-09-2011, 06:48 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,616,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetchas View Post
...if you want to leave then LEAVE.
Imagine if everyone who says they hate this city actually picked themselves up and left? The rest of us would be so happy...it would almost be illegal!

Old 07-09-2011, 06:53 AM

25,374 posts, read 37,097,722 times
Why would anybody STAY in a place he hates?
I mean, we only get one life...this isn't a rehearsal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City