Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 08:18 AM

215 posts, read 519,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
Exactly!! I mean sure, if you stop someone and ask for directions, it's not like they are going to shove you and curse you out, but for the most part, the hostility of a lot of people I see walking around Manhattan is pretty obvious.
Hostility is when people punch you in the face, not when they don't seem to notice you and mind their own business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 09:18 AM

961 posts, read 2,465,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyF View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/22/ny...outh.html?_r=1
This is yet another reason why I fail to see the appeal.
The funny thing is about that article is that the places black New Yorkers are moving too are even harder hit by the economic recession than here. But in many of these places the locals don't have the education to work alot of those high end jobs and have to compete with black new yorkers with degrees. Housing is cheaper down there because of high vacancy rates, foreclosures and simply because of a glut of housing from the construction boom.

Taxes are lower, thusly the quality of education is lower so educated people from other "high-tax" states are more desireable employees. But the article does hold true about the city, its getting too expensive and has done things which tend to favor the upper class, however it doesn't speak to the quality of the city itself. It doesn't explain the fact taht the city added on another million people during the 90's or that the population keeps growing every year. What is the pull factor attracting these people? Like the article said its not just NY its all the big Northern cities. Me personally I did the reverse, I was a black person living in the South who moved here and found more opportunity. But I'm originally from Jersey anyway so...yeah

Old 06-22-2011, 02:30 PM

791 posts, read 1,434,560 times
Default Yes, of course I like it here.

Wish I'd moved back from CA sooner. It's the best city in the world.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:38 PM

22 posts, read 57,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyF View Post
Based on my previous thread, I want to know how you feel about the city you live in. DO you actually like living there, or do you hate it like the majority of people?
Yes, I do. My only problem is our brutal summers. If I ever secure a steady income where it is not linked to physical presence in the city I'll move somewhere where I can go for a walk in July, lol.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:34 PM

16 posts, read 58,424 times
Loved living in NYC during college. Now that I'm in grad school, I'm thinking I want to move there after to work.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:59 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,056,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizarrony View Post
It is normal for people who are in economic distress to look to move somewhere cheaper. Unfortunately, many working class people - of all ethnicities by the way - have been hit hard by this recession. NYC is one of those cities that attract very ambitious people of all walks of life and so many locals tend to suffer when it comes to competition for jobs. There has always been a constant stream of locals looking to leave for greener pastures as people from all over the world move in. During a recession such as this, that process has accelarated.

But even so, that's a pretty far cry from the premise of your thread. How you can make such leaps of logic based on the posts of a few unhappy people is amazing.
Its not only black americans alone leaving nyc but its also puerto ricans, thw white flight is not over, irish, italians and other white natives are also leaving nyc except for the jews they have the money and the power to stay whether if its riverdale, boroghpark or uws. You have all these transplants moving here and they are getting hired for jobs while us locals cant get hired unless cheer luck or an insider connection. This city has gotten difficult for everyone.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:59 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,444,559 times
the city is like a love hate relationship with each other there are times i love the city and there are times i wish it fall off the face of the earth ..

but it does get into your blood and sometimes you have to just go with .. 34 years of beening on my own and i have come through the NYC a few times in my life and it time it was a experince that you can feel but you have to share is when you walk through the Custom line and they say to you Welcome to the United States of America or Welcome home in the New York Accent as you pass through the custom station to me that says I'm home ..there is nothing like that in the world

i will say this it one of the few place's in your life that you get to say this statement after liveing here for a few years ..

I HAVE RAN WITH THE BIG DOGS AND SURVIVED IT after liveing in NYC for a couple of years ..

Old 06-22-2011, 06:01 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,056,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry1 View Post
the city is like a love hate relationship with each other there are times i love the city and there are times i wish it fall off the face of the earth ..

but it does get into your blood and sometimes you have to just go with .. 34 years of beening on my own and i have come through the NYC a few times in my life and it time it was a experince that you can feel but you have to share is when you walk through the Custom line and they say to you Welcome to the United States of America or Welcome home in the New York Accent as you pass through the custom station to me that says I'm home ..there is nothing like that in the world

i will say this it one of the few place's in your life that you get to say this statement after liveing here for a few years ..

I HAVE RAN WITH THE BIG DOGS AND SURVIVED IT after liveing in NYC for a couple of years ..
I agree its likr having a gf.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:03 PM

like a good friend of mine back in Utah was asking me about the rat problem after watching some show on the how big the rats are in the city and he goes i have got a big old barn cat that pretty good at keeping rats & mice out of the barn ..i told him this we got rats up here as big as some of the dog breeds that are around in real life ..so bring your cat and i put up some money and you put up some money ..i'm going to bet on the rats kick the cat butt over the subway floor ..

Old 06-22-2011, 06:07 PM

When i was in the military i have been to many diff big citys and each has there own vibe or something that makes them there own special place ..just like Rome or Paris or London or Berlin or Tokyo ..they run on there own vibe or special powers that makes them tick at there own pace you run with the pace of the city or you move away from it because you can not live with it ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City