Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 10:39 AM

4,840 posts, read 9,920,061 times

Advertisements

I was born here and I grew up here. I guess it's better then living in the majority of other major cities in this country, but I do want to leave when I get older and if I have a family of my own in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 10:45 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,086,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyF View Post
Based on my previous thread, I want to know how you feel about the city you live in. DO you actually like living there, or do you hate it like the majority of people?
I love it, as do virtually all of the hundreds of friends,co workers and acquaintances I have.

What a ridiculous assumption that the "majority" of people hate it.Even of the few people I know who have left NY because they "hated it", most have returned .......or wish they could.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:16 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,094,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoaeve View Post
I actually didn't realize how much I like NYC until I had moved to Jersey City.

I missed the convenience.

Yes Jersey is cool but it's nothing like "The Big Apple".
Thanks for pointing this out. Most delusional new jerseyans actually think Jersey city is a good ultra convenient alternative

Old 06-15-2011, 11:25 AM

961 posts, read 2,465,293 times
I love it, I doubt the "majority" of people hate it. I don't think there's anywhere in the U.S. where the majority hate the city they live in except Detroit. Give us a scientific poll that proves otherwise please.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:47 AM

215 posts, read 519,755 times
You have to understand that New York is a huge, dense and diverse city. People living along 5th Avenue on Upper East Side are very different from people living in East Harlem, though East Harlem starts only a mile away. You will get completely different answers to you love/hate/move to/move from NY questions depending on who you ask.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:57 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,583,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMM View Post
You have to understand that New York is a huge, dense and diverse city. People living along 5th Avenue on Upper East Side are very different from people living in East Harlem, though East Harlem starts only a mile away. You will get completely different answers to you love/hate/move to/move from NY questions depending on who you ask.
Yes this is extremely true. As well as what was also said in OP's other thread - it depends on what your expectations were, for those that are transplants.

I was born in NY and I love living in the city. I know many who do. I also have some friends who really dislike it. Even some who make $100k+ and live well and party well and have lots of friends, and it's just not for them.

For me, I have no interest in leaving in the foreseeable future.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:18 PM

916 posts, read 2,247,500 times
I really hated living in the city when I was growing up because of all
the crimes. But even during one of the worse times I still missed NYC
dearly after spending two months summer vacation with my uncle's
family in Edmonton during the 00's. That two months felt like eternity
to me. My uncle's family were very nice to me, the people of Edmonton
were extremly friendly, it's quiet and safe, but something is missing for
whatever reason.

While I was on my way home from LaGuardia Airport 2 months later,
looking outside from the taxi window, NYC seemed even dirtier before
my trip to Edmonton. The taxi driver still complainting endlessly how he
didn't want to go Ridgewood, I can't help but smile. For all the complaints
and annoyance, I still love NYC. Maybe just because it's home.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:17 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,086,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyF View Post
Based on my previous thread, I want to know how you feel about the city you live in. DO you actually like living there, or do you hate it like the majority of people?
Oh,and here is a link to a REAL SURVEY regarding NY'ers attitudes about how they feel about living in NY.It's a little more scientific than yours.

Poll: New Yorkers Are Happy…Really Happy « CBS New York

"According to the findings, most New Yorkers like living in New York City and in their neighborhoods so much so that, if given the chance to move, three out of four New Yorkers would stay in the city, and more than half would stay right where they are. "

Old 06-15-2011, 02:23 PM

961 posts, read 2,465,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Oh,and here is a link to a REAL SURVEY regarding NY'ers attitudes about how they feel about living in NY.It's a little more scientific than yours.

Poll: New Yorkers Are Happy…Really Happy « CBS New York

"According to the findings, most New Yorkers like living in New York City and in their neighborhoods so much so that, if given the chance to move, three out of four New Yorkers would stay in the city, and more than half would stay right where they are. "
This is what I was asking for, thanks.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:27 PM

684 posts, read 1,821,249 times
Love it !! New Yorker through n through..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City