Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2012, 05:55 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,545,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Caribny I think you really have to read my posts before arguing against my point... I am more with you than against you... I can't stand when people use blanket statements to refer blacks/hispanics, meanwhile that card isn't used for anything within the white race... That being said, I'm not going to be an apologist for my people either or for black folks because those that cause problems regardless of race whether they are Jamaican/AA/West Indian/etc. do a disservice to their race and openly mock what their ancestors had to go through by acting like idiots...

To say that because their grandparents and great grandparents dealt with so much in this country that it gives them the right to not only completely disregard the efforts made by previous communities, but to also become criminals and act like morons is probably the STUPIDEST thing I have ever heard and it's why those who aren't black and become apologists are some of the biggest hipocrits you will find... They will preach about how whites are keeping the black man down and this/that and a third, meanwhile they talk to their real friends about how they can't wait till the day Harlem becomes like Williamsburg or Fort Greene or Park Slope...

For me, I don't care what color you are Black, White, Hispanic, Asian, Alien... Treat me with respect, don't act like a thug/snob/pompous/ghetto/fill in the blank (other rude characteristics) and we won't have a problem... You can live in the hood, have the hood mentality and not be ghetto... I'm tired of 40 year olds acting like teenagers almost as much as i'm tired of 20 and 30 something hipsters/transplants/yuppies who have been here for six days telling me I don't know my city as much as they do...

As a people, we just need to work on developing our social skills and dealing with all different races... I could care less if you're neighborhood is 100% Black/white/asian/hispanic... as long as you know how to act with other people and you treat your neighborhood with respect (one of the few comments I actually agree with hilltopjay on) then we're all good...

I have made several comments about self inflicted ghetto pathologies, so if my refusal to allow others to get away with stigmatizing entire groups, the good and the bad, is construed as excusing the bad well what can I say.

You will note that one of these resident racists...hilltopjay...goes off on a rant implying that any one who objects to him damning entire Hispanic and black commnities excuses the elements who destroy themselves and their neighborhoods.

He wants permission to scream that The Bronx was destroyed when people of color moved in, and objects to any one who calls him a racist for suggesting that the communities of middle and working class black/hispanics ought not to be compared with the Section 8 crowd. Oh he will deny such a comparison until he makes blanket comments again.

BTW I have lived in the USA for 30 years now. I have yet to meet the American, black or white, who is race neutral. Some are more open than others but when people claim that the dont notice race they are fooling themselves as the very DNA about the USA is about black vs white. Even among the more open there is care about what one says for fear of causing offense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Oh wait...how dare you request people to act civilized and respect other people's property. That would be a racist request...lol

yes because you like to imply that such values are linked to whites and only the odd black or latin.

Poor man living in a majority non white borough. If you find us so offensive you know what to do.

Old 09-06-2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:

If "hood" people were to move into Woodlawn, then I guarantee you gates will start going up due to the increase of riff-raff committed by "hood" people. Truth hurts, I know.

And of course for you the minute that you start seeing "too many" of "them" there goes the neighborhood...even if every morning they get up and go to work.

Old 09-06-2012, 06:10 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,697,478 times
are the N Riverdale native Irish and Irish Americans like the Woodlawn-ites described above? those blocks between 254th street and Yonkers, Riverdale to Broadway look almost like a carbon copy of Woodlawn in terms of the housing stock. I know that doesn't relate to the people in the area necessarily...

Old 09-06-2012, 06:40 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,548,157 times
Quote:
Come on...how ignorant and blind are you? The reason why "white" parks aren't locked up and gated like parks in the "hood" is because generally white people don't go around busting caps at each other, hustlin' and gambling playing dice in the park. SMH. Unless you're a wigger influenced by the ghetto hip hop sub-culture, white people in Woodlawn do not resort to that type of ghetto behavior in parks that you see in "hood" parks.

If "hood" people were to move into Woodlawn, then I guarantee you gates will start going up due to the increase of riff-raff committed by "hood" people. Truth hurts, I know.

Hilltopjay, the truth doesn;t hurt at all, instead it sets you free. Its a law in NYC that city parks have to be closed at a certain time. It should be enforced the same throughout the city. I can pull out stats to show to other areas where crime is low in minority areas but I guess that won;t fit your agenda. Listen I ll give you a perfect example. The 50 precinct polices the Riverdale and Kingsrbridge areas. You think the level of protection and active policing given to both areas are the same?

Old 09-06-2012, 07:36 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,257,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
Hilltopjay, the truth doesn;t hurt at all, instead it sets you free. Its a law in NYC that city parks have to be closed at a certain time. It should be enforced the same throughout the city. I can pull out stats to show to other areas where crime is low in minority areas but I guess that won;t fit your agenda. Listen I ll give you a perfect example. The 50 precinct polices the Riverdale and Kingsrbridge areas. You think the level of protection and active policing given to both areas are the same?
Which of the 2 has a higher crime rate?

Old 09-06-2012, 09:31 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,548,157 times
Quote:
Which of the 2 has a higher crime rate?

Kingsbridge. That's my point. The 50 precinct sits on their ass and does nothing to curb the crime. Many times, they are parked up on a secluded street in Riverdale, waiting for their shift to come to an end.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:57 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,417,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
are the N Riverdale native Irish and Irish Americans like the Woodlawn-ites described above? those blocks between 254th street and Yonkers, Riverdale to Broadway look almost like a carbon copy of Woodlawn in terms of the housing stock. I know that doesn't relate to the people in the area necessarily...
isnt that area mostly Jewish??

Old 09-07-2012, 06:57 AM

2,517 posts, read 4,257,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
Kingsbridge.

Which justifies the reason why you would see gated up parks in Kingsbridge than in Riverdale. People in Riverdale police themselves and hold themselves to a higher standard than people in Kingsbridge.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:03 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,697,478 times
nycjow- good question. in N Riverdale there are a lot of Jewish residents in the apartment buildings. they are in the private homes too but there are also a lot of Irish on those blocks i mentioned and some Italians too. there are a lot of residents who are natives of Ireland or Irish Americans, including an Irish gift shop on Riverdale Ave and 259th (and one or two Irish pubs on B'way near 259th and at least 2 on Mosholu Ave)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City