Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 03:36 PM

5 posts, read 10,059 times

Advertisements

I am looking at an apartment on First Avenue & 106th Street. Can anyone tell me something about the area? Safety? Fun things to do in the area?

I work late hours in Midtown East, so I would most likely always being coming home in the dark. Any feedback is appreciated.

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 03:49 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,689,401 times
Default better than 116th street

and First but not as good as 96th and First

Old 10-11-2011, 05:48 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,917,376 times
Not a very good area.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:48 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurenr1984 View Post
I am looking at an apartment on First Avenue & 106th Street. Can anyone tell me something about the area? Safety? Fun things to do in the area?

I work late hours in Midtown East, so I would most likely always being coming home in the dark. Any feedback is appreciated.

Thank you!!
Right across the street from East River Houses. Crackhead city. Not safe at night. fun things to do in the area? Buy crack and weed.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-11-2011, 06:15 PM

615 posts, read 1,676,477 times
Quote:

Thank you!!

It's not the best area in Manhattan, but it's not the worst either. It's changed quite a great deal. It use to be predominantly Latinos; now it's a mix of just about all ethnicities. It's become very gentrified. As it is Harlem (Spanish Harlem aka El Barrio).

Go visit the area during different times of the day and week. Only you can determine what you are comfortable with or not.

Fun things in the neighborhood: There are lounges, museums, restaurants, Central Park/Conservatory Garden on 105th & 5th Ave and such, but again it depends on the type of environment you are comfortable in and its people.

Here are some links to places in the neighborhood:

:: RICARDO STEAK :: The new oasis in Harlem

El Museo del Barrio New York

Amor Cubano, cuban restaurants in NYC (http://www.amorcubanorestaurant.com/media/amorcubano.html - broken link)

The Official Website of Central Park - Conservatory Garden Center Fountain

The Official Website of Central Park - Things to Do

Good luck!

ADDENDUM: You may want to call the local precinct and get firsthand info about the neighborhood: http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/html/pr...inct_023.shtml

Last edited by SummerBabe; 10-11-2011 at 07:06 PM..

Old 10-11-2011, 06:45 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerBabe View Post

Go visit the area during different times of the day and week. Only you can determine what you are comfortable with or not.............
Not just during different times of the day but at different times of the NIGHT and on weekend nights ! Daytime viewing tells you nothing.The only real test is the walk from the nearest subway station to the prospective building ALONE ,at 2 AM ,on a Saturday or Sunday morning in July or August.

If you are afraid to do it alone or you get scared then forget about the neighborhood.

It's East Harlem. Pretty high crime rate.

Last edited by bluedog2; 10-11-2011 at 06:58 PM..

Old 10-11-2011, 06:48 PM

615 posts, read 1,676,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Not just during different times of the day but at different times of the NIGHT and on weekend nights ! Daytime viewing tells you nothing.The only real test is the walk from the nearest subway station to the prospective building ALONE ,at 2 AM ,on a Saturday or Sunday morning in July or August.

If you are afraid to do it alone or you get scared then forget about the neighborhood.

hahaha; different TIMES of the day/week encompasses the a.m./afternoon/evening and the wkend.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Right across the street from East River Houses. Crackhead city. Not safe at night. fun things to do in the area? Buy crack and weed.

Thank you for the input - buying crack is not my main priority so this neighborhood might now be for me

Old 10-12-2011, 09:20 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,921,952 times
Quote:
Thank you for the input - buying crack is not my main priority so this neighborhood might now be for me
Try Washington Heights West of Broadway from 176 to 191 st (i can attest from living here). This area is pretty chill. Not a lot shady characters, quiet safe, lots of restaurants, etc.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerBabe View Post
It's not the best area in Manhattan, but it's not the worst either. It's changed quite a great deal. It use to be predominantly Latinos; now it's a mix of just about all ethnicities. It's become very gentrified. As it is Harlem (Spanish Harlem aka El Barrio).

Go visit the area during different times of the day and week. Only you can determine what you are comfortable with or not.

Fun things in the neighborhood: There are lounges, museums, restaurants, Central Park/Conservatory Garden on 105th & 5th Ave and such, but again it depends on the type of environment you are comfortable in and its people.

Here are some links to places in the neighborhood:

:: RICARDO STEAK :: The new oasis in Harlem

El Museo del Barrio New York

Amor Cubano, cuban restaurants in NYC (http://www.amorcubanorestaurant.com/media/amorcubano.html - broken link)

The Official Website of Central Park - Conservatory Garden Center Fountain

The Official Website of Central Park - Things to Do

Good luck!

ADDENDUM: You may want to call the local precinct and get firsthand info about the neighborhood: NYPD - Precincts

Thank you for all the great info!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: