Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 11:03 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,866,342 times

Advertisements

You cannot compare Marymount to the parochial schools. It is an independent school that is not required to follow the standards of the archdiocese. In terms of its academic curriculum and target market, it is more comparable with other independent schools like Spence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
That sounds like the way sleazy operations sell TIMESHARES. Does SIL feed you a chicken dinner?

(But actually I was expecting MUCH higher truition for St. Iggy's.)
Nothing wrong with that. They get more applicants than they can admit so they can afford to set their own processes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 11:30 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
But isn't 33k + a year worth it for the right pre-school? I mean after all isn't this the foundation that all future successes of this child will be measured??

For this kind of money I could just about pay my mortage off...

Last edited by VA Yankee; 02-13-2012 at 11:43 AM..

Old 02-13-2012, 11:33 AM

/\/\

That has more to do with why people send their kids to independent private schools and not related to Catholic parochial schools.

We can ask the same question to people who send kids to Dalton and Horace Mann and they will have their own reasons for doing so.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:58 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,850,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Holy COW. For comparison sake I loooked up the tuition for the EPISCOPAL St. Lukes School in the Village (Hudson Street):

So I guess the RC Church is still kicking in a ton of money to keep their kids free from HERESY! I guess also it explains why Loyola has to turn kids away.

Marymount School (Fifth Ave and 84th) is $38,000. Is that Catholic?

Also about $38K for THE GRACE SCHOOL on Fourth Avenue...Cooper Union to 14th St. I think they bought their way out of Church affiliation.
Actually, I will say this for Catholic schools, having attended one myself so many years ago, They go out of their way to charge a FRACTION of what most private schools cost. As far as private schools go, you aren't going to get cheaper than Catholic. Usually the low tuition is offset by the diocese kicking in some money. They believe in educating their young. That's laudable. Now what they eductate them? Not so laudable.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:15 PM

As long as they teach good R-W-M-S, then they do fine for the tuition they charge.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:34 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
I was never able to forgive my parents for sending me to Catholic school.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:37 PM

2,466 posts, read 2,763,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
St. Ignatius Loyola is about $7.5K/yr as of SY 2010. You need to attend the open house to find out the rates.
My niece applied to Loyola and was accepted... wait for it... tuition is... $29,400 plus a $4,000 enrollment deposit refunded at graduation. She was offered a $4,000 per year scholarship.

ETA: She applied to Loyola School on Park not the parish school on 84th St.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
My niece applied to Loyola and was accepted... wait for it... tuition is... $29,400 plus a $4,000 enrollment deposit refunded at graduation. She was offered a $4,000 per year scholarship.

ETA: She applied to Loyola School on Park not the parish school on 84th St.
LS is an independent private school not under the supervision of the archdiocese/parish (unlike St. Ignatius Loyola around the corner) and serves only 9-12, which explains its tuition structure. It's alumni are pretty well-connected though.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:32 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
It sure is. Unless that Mexican guy is working two jobs washing dishes in the back burner. A matter of fact not even two jobs cant afford to pay tuition.
Unless you've gone to Catholic school and/or send your kids there, don't make statements that aren't true. Catholic schools offer financial aid. When I registered at the Catholic school, they even asked me if I wanted to apply for financial aid. I didn't need to. Most Catholic schools from kindergarten to 8th grade are not $6k a year. Tuition is under $4k but if you have to factor in aftercare then the tuition goes up $200+ a month. Then there's fundraisers, MANDATORY fundraisers and uniforms. The school my daughter went to closed around 2 years ago because of the demographics. The school was in an Asian neighborhood so they were not getting the enrollment. The economy has a lot to do with it also. When a 2-income household becomes 1, parents will have to take their kids out of private school. Also, it was a very small school. Only one class per grade. The cost to maintain the school and pay the teachers exceeded enrollment. My daughter went to Catholic school for 2 years because the public school near my apartment didn't offer after-school programs, it did not offer middle school so my daughter would have been going to Robert Kennedy JHS and it wasn't exactly the best in scores. I bought my house just around when the new school year started so it didn't make sense to enroll her in Catholic school for only 1 or 2 months. I ended up enrolling her in the public school by our apartment and my husband changed his schedule to pick her up after school. The school had improved academically and they now go up to 8th grade. It's the Montessori schools that have a high tuition but they also offer financial aid. Catholic high schools such as St. Francis also have a higher tuition. One thing about private schools is even though you're paying, they are very strict with grades. There's no "pushing through" a failing student.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:35 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
But isn't 33k + a year worth it for the right pre-school? I mean after all isn't this the foundation that all future successes of this child will be measured??

For this kind of money I could just about pay my mortage off...
That's people who have nothing else to spend their money on. I think those types of preschools are outlandish but that's just my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City