Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2012, 06:06 AM

34,011 posts, read 47,240,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
@ checkmatechamp I just want to thank you for providing this map to everyone as a guideline for what areas to avoid as well as the vice versa. You and seventhfloor have done a great job of making the boundaries as well as collaborating with the members of city-data to further improve the map. It's safe to say that 95% of the people that have posted on this thread wouldn't have taken the time to create this map on thier own for the benefit of others and yet they are the quickest ones to judge and react when something doesn't suit their opinion of a specific area...
Thank you to you too, especially for your Ridgewood/Bushwick input.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Checkmatechamp, look at most of the homicides from 2003-2011 (the 2011 is not complete). This should give you an idea of where the dangerous parts of the neighborhood are located. Please notice the area that you shaded lighter, specifically the areas west of University ave. From top to bottom, the area had more homicides, the past 8 years, than the eastern part you labeled darker. In fact, this year alone, in western University Heights we had a triple shooting that left 2 dead in Devoe Park, and another gang related homicide a few blocks up.

2 Dead, 1 Injured In Triple Shooting In Bronx Park - WPIX

Julio Rodriguez, 25, shot dead by gunman who chased him up Bronx street, police say - New York Daily News

All this occurring, while the eastern part remained homicide free. I live in the neighborhood.

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/a...2/a664ec38.png

Now, don't you see the discrepancy?

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/a...2/a4ef6a41.png

The red area south and east of BCC is colored red, when in fact not one single homicide occured there the past 8 years. Meanwhile, look at the cluster of homicides directly north, which is yellow on your map. It is among the heaviest drug spots in the neighborhood.

Again, I don't tell you this for no other reason than to have you be accurate. With the map you are misleading people and giving them a false sense of security that unfortunately may lead to serious problems.

No BCC student walks on Andrews, they'd be crazy. All you need to see is the constant loitering of gang members and drug dealers to know that is a no go zone.

Unlike some others, I backed up my statement. I have more information if you are not convinced but I believe this should suffice. I am a 5 year veteran of these boards and everyone here will tell you I know my Bronx.

That is all.
Who cares about homicides. its a gauge on overall crime. If no homicides occur on the block, but there's a drug sale everyday, then it's good? And vice versa, there can be one isolated homicide on a block, but nothing else happened there for the year, now its the ok corral? I dont doubt that you know the Bronx but the reasoning is off.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:33 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,561,390 times
I think some people are basing their idea of safe or red neighborhoods only on homicides and that definitely doesn't tell the whole story. You have to also count open drug sales, robberies, assaults etc. So while some want to talk about the gentrification and condo developments on certain blocks of a hood, it doesn't change the overall fact that crime still goes on at a higher rate than other neighborhoods (look at 116th St or Frederick Douglass Blvd in lower Central Harlem).

Thanks to both checkmatechamp and SeventhFloor for a very informative thread and map.

Old 03-09-2012, 05:30 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Who cares about homicides. its a gauge on overall crime. If no homicides occur on the block, but there's a drug sale everyday, then it's good? And vice versa, there can be one isolated homicide on a block, but nothing else happened there for the year, now its the ok corral? I dont doubt that you know the Bronx but the reasoning is off.
How else can I prove it? Nobody is going to take me for word of mouth. All I am saying is that University Heights is the same throughout. Do you disagree with what I said? If so, it shows you truly lack knowledge of the neighborhood. I can name you all the heavy drug spots but that is almost a form of dry snitching. If you think the blocks north of BCC are good then I dare you to walk through there, especially on a summer's night. You would be singing a very different tune.

In fact, this goes out to anyone that want's to take me on my challenge. Walk through the blocks north of BCC and come back to me. SMH. Telling me about MY neighborhood. Like if once you cross University the safety increases. LMAO!

Old 03-09-2012, 06:09 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
But I disagree with these maps. By coloring a large area, like the south Bronx, you are basically saying that crime is equal, consistent, and distributed equally all throughout the shaded area. This is a very misleading method. For example, there are parts of East Morrisania (Charlotte street) that are very safe and clean. However, you may go a block or two up and your in a drug ridden part of the neighborhood. But yet, someone who looks at the map is going to think that crime in both places is the same. Of course there is spill over crime, but this should affect the neighborhoods own crime rating slightly. There are parts of Washington Heights and Inwood that are worse than parts of Hunts Point, but you would not be able to tell this with the map. Crime in NYC is block by block basis. So I would suggest, if given the right tools, to do the map over but breaking it down into smaller areas.

Another more effective and I believe easier thing to do is break it down by precinct. While it's not perfect, because there are good and bad parts in a neighborhood and the precinct crime rate takes the entire neighborhood into account, so it goes back to the same problem as the current map. However it is better because you can clearly see which neighborhoods are worser than others, rather than taking everything south of Bedford Pk and shading it the same color.

Solamente mi dos centavos.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:21 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,815,444 times
Quote:
But I disagree with these maps. By coloring a large area, like the south Bronx, you are basically saying that crime is equal, consistent, and distributed equally all throughout the shaded area. This is a very misleading method. For example, there are parts of East Morrisania (Charlotte street) that are very safe and clean. However, you may go a block or two up and your in a drug ridden part of the neighborhood. But yet, someone who looks at the map is going to think that crime in both places is the same. Of course there is spill over crime, but this should affect the neighborhoods own crime rating slightly. There are parts of Washington Heights and Inwood that are worse than parts of Hunts Point, but you would not be able to tell this with the map. Crime in NYC is block by block basis. So I would suggest, if given the right tools, to do the map over but breaking it down into smaller areas.

Another more effective and I believe easier thing to do is break it down by precinct. While it's not perfect, because there are good and bad parts in a neighborhood and the precinct crime rate takes the entire neighborhood into account, so it goes back to the same problem as the current map. However it is better because you can clearly see which neighborhoods are worser than others, rather than taking everything south of Bedford Pk and shading it the same color.

Solamente mi dos centavos.
+1

That is why I suggested posting the new condos in Harlem since the entire Central Harlem seems scarier than it seems according to the map. With this extra info one can assess the area better. But I do understand these maps are going to be impossible to please everyone. One has to view these maps with an open mind and some common sense.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:12 AM

4,840 posts, read 9,911,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
@ checkmatechamp I just want to thank you for providing this map to everyone as a guideline for what areas to avoid as well as the vice versa. You and seventhfloor have done a great job of making the boundaries as well as collaborating with the members of city-data to further improve the map. It's safe to say that 95% of the people that have posted on this thread wouldn't have taken the time to create this map on thier own for the benefit of others and yet they are the quickest ones to judge and react when something doesn't suit their opinion of a specific area...
Good Job with Ridgewood and Bushwick, it's spot on.

I have a few suggestions for some of the Queens areas.

Old 03-10-2012, 06:01 AM

Quote:
How else can I prove it? Nobody is going to take me for word of mouth. All I am saying is that University Heights is the same throughout. Do you disagree with what I said? If so, it shows you truly lack knowledge of the neighborhood. I can name you all the heavy drug spots but that is almost a form of dry snitching. If you think the blocks north of BCC are good then I dare you to walk through there, especially on a summer's night. You would be singing a very different tune.

In fact, this goes out to anyone that want's to take me on my challenge. Walk through the blocks north of BCC and come back to me. SMH. Telling me about MY neighborhood. Like if once you cross University the safety increases. LMAO!
The map has it as red now...are you happy?

Old 03-10-2012, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Crime in NYC is block by block basis. So I would suggest, if given the right tools, to do the map over but breaking it down into smaller areas.
We never claimed that this map was the 10 commandments of crime in NYC. It was to be used simply as a rough gauge for good and bad areas.

Feel free to make your own map of NYC and break down the crime by block.

Old 03-10-2012, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Good Job with Ridgewood and Bushwick, it's spot on.

I have a few suggestions for some of the Queens areas.
Well please share.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City