Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 10:21 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,003,562 times

Advertisements

Agreed Alysee....it might be good in the short term...and who knows...she just might like it and stay in Boston!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 01:31 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,800,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvira Black View Post
Ah Hustla, I see your fatalistic attitude extends to other areas of life as well....I guess there's something to be said for consistency.

She may be able to get a date anywhere--but she may not want to just get a date. She may want to get a date with the right guy, and maybe she is looking for a NY guy, not a Boston guy. Who knows?

However, I can see the appeal of Boston, but I suspect it is pretty pricey as well, no?
There you go, starting a problem. Boston is also cheaper then NYC. Housing cost. She would also have the advantage of a job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
You are nuts if you believe that Boston offers pretty much everything that NYC does....you are kidding right? I won't list all the reasons why this is silly, wrong, and laughable, as I think everyone knows why, however please feel free to look back on Hustla's prior posts and you will see he takes a very negative slant towards NYC...he does his best to shun those away from the city, as well as keep people out of neighborhoods that are disproportionately people of color.

Use your brain...the city has far more to offer than Boston, the sheer breath of opportunities is the best probably in the world....let alone Boston! I would seriously reconsider Boston, although it may be a good start, if you really want to make money in your industry, as well as possibly branch to other areas, you will need to be in the metro area...and Hoboken is a great spot!
And now there you go starting a problem. Go ahead, anyone can look at my post, but I advise you to take a look at his as well. Do you spend your life stalking me on a message board?

Lets see. Boston and NYC. Two East Coast cities.

-Public transportation. Both have.
-Nice areas. Both have.
-Crap areas. Both have.
-Walkability. Both have.
-Nightlife. Both have.
-Jobs. Both have. Especially in the field she is considering. SHE HAS AN OFFER.
-Singles. Both have.

Enough with the bull****. Yes the differences exist, NYC may have something Boston doesn't, and vice versa. However the OP needs to decide on what she needs. They ain't as significantly different as you are making it to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
No one ever answered my previous question. Why isn't urban Chicago being considered?
Good question. Job offer in Boston, and a desire to live in NYC is my guess. Chicago is another option that offers more of the same. Closer to home too.

Last edited by Hustla718; 09-27-2007 at 02:16 AM..

Old 09-27-2007, 08:20 AM

NYC MAY have something that Boston does not???!!! Yes please let's cut the BS....

I do not doubt that Boston has a nightlife, public transportation, crap areas, walkability, jobs, singles, etc...but they are on 2 completely different levels!!!!!! The same can be said for NYC versus CHicago..but who would ever say they are just about the same or not significantly difference....are you kidding?!!! Completely laughable....again...I try to be reasonable and fair while you push as many people of any worth away from NYC...it's isn't working!

Old 09-27-2007, 08:33 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
NYC is basically like Boston or Chicago on steroids. It's the Barry Bonds of cities. It can be a good or bad thing.

For one thing, Boston or Chicago don't really compare to NYC culturally.

But a lot of people would appreciate the more low-key type of city life Boston or Chicago offer.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:40 AM

Agreed NooYorker...he attempts to compare the public transportation system, culture, jobs, nightlife, and everything else as pretty much the same as Boston...are you kidding? Just laughable....but that's just Hustla being Hustla...what can you do.

Old 09-27-2007, 10:04 AM

Quote:
NYC MAY have something that Boston does not???!!! Yes please let's cut the BS....

I do not doubt that Boston has a nightlife, public transportation, crap areas, walkability, jobs, singles, etc...but they are on 2 completely different levels!!!!!! The same can be said for NYC versus CHicago..but who would ever say they are just about the same or not significantly difference....are you kidding?!!! Completely laughable....again...I try to be reasonable and fair while you push as many people of any worth away from NYC...it's isn't working!
Two completely different levels?

How many clubs do you attend a week? a night? Boston doesn't have enough?

Your spoiled. The difference is not as significant as you make it seem.

Quote:
Agreed NooYorker...he attempts to compare the public transportation system, culture, jobs, nightlife, and everything else as pretty much the same as Boston...are you kidding? Just laughable....but that's just Hustla being Hustla...what can you do.
Read above. And no one is trying to scare anyone out of NYC... Job guarenteed in Boston. Good job. That was why I choose Boston. Cheaper housing is a plus. Boston fits her needs as well (Read above). Sounds good to me...

Old 09-27-2007, 10:06 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,624,303 times
Nah, NYC is way much better than Boston in everything entertainment. I say NYC first choice, Boston second choise. For cheaper housing look in a descent area in one of the other boroughs.

Old 09-27-2007, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrusjul View Post
Nah, NYC is way much better than Boston in everything entertainment. I say NYC first choice, Boston second choise. For cheaper housing look in a descent area in one of the other boroughs.
I understand NYC has more selection, but I don't get some people. How much selection do you need? How many times do you go to the club? Some people are just spoiled.

Normal people go to the club once in a blue but spend most of their time at work (oh you will be working your ass of in NYC) or with family, private time.

I guess that's it. Most people are just spoiled and want everything at once even if they are not going to use it. That is the hype behind this city and in my opinion it's not worth the housing cost.

Old 09-27-2007, 10:17 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
Is Boston really that much cheaper rent-wise than NYC? I did a quick search on craigslist, seemed pretty similar, although I wouldn't know for instance if the nicer areas are much cheaper than NYC nice areas.

Old 09-27-2007, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Is Boston really that much cheaper rent-wise than NYC? I did a quick search on craigslist, seemed pretty similar, although I wouldn't know for instance if the nicer areas are much cheaper than NYC nice areas.
Use a cost of living calculator. Boston is cheaper in all categories. Food, housing, utilities, ect...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City