Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 09:00 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,097,884 times

Advertisements

Get a dog. Good way to meet people. And even if you don't you'll always have a pal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 09:05 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,405,966 times
construction workers, laborers and journeymen
are some of the only people who are friendly
to each other, because they love to hang out
and have fun after work.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:04 AM

1,155 posts, read 2,143,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I am kind of on the fence about making friends from work. In general it is best to keep work and personal lives separate IMO...it avoids alot of potential problems. However, depends on your comfort level. You can be friendly with coworkers, but making them your personal friends can open yourself up to problems..what if you don't want to be their friends anymore, or get into a fight/argument....who knows...then you are stuck with them at work, or depend on their responsibilities to do your job, etc. Not worth the trouble.
Depends on where you work and how much your job depends on your coworkers. I came here as a teller and made friends with other tellers. If you have a falling out, you avoid each other. If they are professional they will bite the bullet and do their job. If not, then they probably won't do well with their job. I haven't had issues with finding friends at work. It's a good start and then maybe you meet their friends, and their friends friends.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:23 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,331,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post
Depends on where you work and how much your job depends on your coworkers. I came here as a teller and made friends with other tellers. If you have a falling out, you avoid each other. If they are professional they will bite the bullet and do their job. If not, then they probably won't do well with their job. I haven't had issues with finding friends at work. It's a good start and then maybe you meet their friends, and their friends friends.
Oh I have lots of work friends! Even with those who have moved on to other roles, we still meet up for lunch/dinner/drinks every now and again. My industry is very social though and there are a lot of office happy hours and industry events where you are "forced" to socialize. For me though, having work friends makes the job more enjoyable. I could never imagine working at a place where I didn't have any friends at work. Just like the above post, I've even made friends through my work friends.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:01 AM

1,155 posts, read 2,143,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Oh I have lots of work friends! Even with those who have moved on to other roles, we still meet up for lunch/dinner/drinks every now and again. My industry is very social though and there are a lot of office happy hours and industry events where you are "forced" to socialize. For me though, having work friends makes the job more enjoyable. I could never imagine working at a place where I didn't have any friends at work. Just like the above post, I've even made friends through my work friends.
That is so true! I've worked in places where people were more guarded and standoffish and it's just not pleasant. I like being able to go to work and say hi and chat with coworkers and have fun rather then keep to myself and then mope around. But each person has their own reasons for doing certain things.

It's the same with dating. Guys always assume that if a girl doesn't like them like that and just wants to be friends it's a horrible thing. Actually it's great because if you are really nice to your friends, they help you out. Your friend who is a girl might have a hot available friend and can vouch for you. That saves you so many nights in bars and clubs, just because you decided to be friends with a girl instead of just trying to get with her and then stop talking to her if she doesn't want something with you. It's always about networking!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: