Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 01:12 PM

127 posts, read 262,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonost View Post
If you're into golden showers I can imagine having to pay for that service cost a fortune. At the NYE ball drop, you can get it for free.
I'll bet a small percentage of that type of enthusiast has ever paid for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 04:57 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,836,582 times
I think you are already too late.

Old 08-04-2012, 07:26 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,158,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
I realize that security these days is extremely high & that you have to show up early & you are not allowed to leave until 12:30 AM or something. I think that's true, is it? Or am I wrong?

If you do want to be present at the ball drop, how far in advance do you have to show up in Times Square and how long do you have to stay in one spot? Does anyone know or have experience with the New Year's Eve ball drop in Times Square?

I'd love to hear your thoughts, especially if you've experienced it yourselves. I did it a long time ago, pre-9/11 and quite frankly, I was a kid. So I'd love to hear from y'all.
Go now. There may not be many people in Times Square.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:56 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Line up by Labor Day.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:39 AM

188 posts, read 662,967 times
I was there last year - thankfully, my train back to albany left at about 6PM so I could avoid the masses, but there was still plenty of room in and around the times square barricades at 5PM or so. As I recall, they were just starting to block off the streets then. There were people camping outside during the day as I was wandering around, but not in any great quantity. I can say that yes, I was in times square on NYE (but I just forget the part where I took the train back home before the 'fun' started).

Old 08-04-2012, 12:58 PM

676 posts, read 1,261,787 times
Ugh, i work not far from there and I hate dealing with the crowds, especially that time of year. Even though work closes early when NYE falls on a weekday so we can get home (trains stop running in the area at a certain time), it's still tough to deal with. If you can afford it, go with a hotel which has a view of it. Some restaurants nearby also have packages, but be forewarned, it'll probably be crowded & overpriced. I wouldn't suggest being on the actual streets/sidewalks in the area unless your idea of a good time is being hemmed in with no personal space and not being able to leave to drink, eat or pee. In which case go for it. But my goal that day is to generally stay away or get out as soon as I can, so I don't know when the best time to get there is.

Also, have you experienced a New York winter? They can vary from mild to severe. You may luck out and get mild weather or it may be below freezing and/or snow/rain. You can count on being outside for hours.

Old 08-04-2012, 06:59 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,233,118 times
You should probably go there tomorrow and start lining up.

Old 08-05-2012, 01:24 PM

110 posts, read 300,101 times
An entire day in advance. Bring diapers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City