Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 04:33 AM

75 posts, read 107,461 times

Advertisements

They told me that I was the best student in my High School class and I was rewarded by a full scholarship to collge. In college I excelled and got a 4.0 at the University of GA and a degree in Accounting. Many employers expressed interest in me and eventually I went to work for one of the large BIG 4 Accounting firms. They said they needed me in their huge office in New York City and like a good solider I accepted their offer and took a job in Manhattan in NYC.

I am miserable in New York City!

It is a mess here and most people are so harsh and unfriendly. I miss the southern hostility of Athens GA. I miss small talk with people in public, smiles from grocery clerks, I miss people who like to hunt, fish and camp, I miss yards with big trees and grass.

But what really can't stand about living in New York City is the attitude so many of the people have here. The brashness, the ego, the rudeness and how many people treat anyone outside of their circle like they don't exist. People won't look you in the eye even if they have business with you. There is a feeling of mistrust. I walk the streets and it seems like everyone looks so beaten down and tired. I see it in their eyes. Lots of lonley people. I don't see as many people with their family and everyone is in a hurry. They talk fast and walk fast.

I can understand why. There is over 10 million people here, many with their own agenda and everyone seems to be in their own little clique. Every person breaks down into their own ethic group, social group, economic group, age group, hip factor group, fashion group, etc. Everyone else is invisible.

Back in Athens GA most people came from a similar mind set, spoke English, were long term Americans and were middle class. While we all had our differences in personality, we were enough alike and shared a bond through culture, language and southern hospitality that I had an easy time making friends and chatting with regular folks like me.

Anyone else just overwhelmed by New York and want out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 05:25 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,086,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regular folk View Post
I miss the southern hostility of Athens GA. ..........
Funny,I found most of the South quite hostile too.People being really nasty to each other behind your back but if you miss the hostility you should definitely return.

New York just isn't for everyone, though most people I know are quite happy here.I wouldn't want to live anywhere else,not in this country anyway.

Best of luck to you and god bless.

Old 08-26-2012, 06:28 AM

25,373 posts, read 37,097,722 times
Many years ago, I had a job interview in Athens, Georgia (Celanese) and in 24 hours I realized that I would rather slit my throat than spend years in a closed minded, claustrophobic berg like that.

But I recognize that NYC isn't for everyone.

I hope you find some of the charms NYC has to offer instead of "hunting, fishing, andd camping." If you don't well, there's a big country to the South and West and it needs accountants too.

Old 08-26-2012, 06:31 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,239,214 times
I'm also from a small southern town and the factors you describe are exactly what led me to run away to the big city back when Reagan was still potus. I love the anonymity, the constant opportunity to re-invent oneself, the regular flow of novelty, the unpredictable and endless stream of new faces. I enjoy being surrounded by strangers. However that's not for everyone.

Old 08-26-2012, 06:52 AM

167 posts, read 306,238 times
lol I think your complaints are .... cute. because I noticed these things when I moved here but was quickly broken in

but every time I leave the city I am VERY taken back by the lack of ego and acceptance in some scenarios where I'd expect it.

you can make small talk to random people on the street here, you really just need to know what you are doing. there are PLENTY of people like you that want someone to talk to them. ask someone where they got an outfit, bingo.

Old 08-26-2012, 07:02 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,239,214 times
I still remember how the city looked the first time I took a cab from the airport to my new conapt in what was a major open air heroin market on the upper, upper west side. The cold December night, steel shutters down over all the storefronts, trash in the street. NYC looked like the place you go to die. Now when I get back to the city after time away, I feel like dropping down to my knees in front of Penn Station and kissing the asphalt of 7th Avenue. The rest of this benighted nation is a vast warren of freeways and Walmarts.

Old 08-26-2012, 07:03 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,818,188 times
Man up punk!
Nobody forced you to come to NYC.
Don't like it???? Get to stepping then.
Unless your trapped due to the confines of having kids, your nuts for staying someplace you hate so much.

Not to sound mean, BUT....
Who cares about you and your tale of woe?
Nobody. Put NYC and all the people on top of one another and POOF ! you become yet another victim.
It's not for everybody. In fact, it's not for most.
And you proved that.

Goodbye.
Your apt will be rented out in 30 days and this city won't remember your name in 31 days.
That's just how it is.

Queen - Another One Bites The Dust - YouTube

Old 08-26-2012, 07:54 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,619,504 times
Maybe you would be happier living in a different neighborhood. It sounds like a small thing but it can make a difference.

Old 08-26-2012, 07:59 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,838,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
Maybe you would be happier living in a different neighborhood. It sounds like a small thing but it can make a difference.
That's what I'm thinking too. Maybe Manhattan isn't for you OP. Have you looked into other boroughs or maybe NJ?

Old 08-26-2012, 08:10 AM

43,689 posts, read 44,435,568 times
I agree with the other posters that mention perhaps you should live outside Manhattan in one of the other boroughs where people can seem quite friendly to the people that live in their own neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City