Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2012, 03:47 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,518,719 times

Advertisements

Dear Posters:

This guy sounds like he can't stand diversity or anyone who is not like him. He's just not used to what we have here in NY. You know what? I live on an extremely diverse slightly upper middle class street in Queens. People are from Hong Kong, Columbia, Argentina, Greece, Trinidad, and America - are Irish American, Italian American, etc. within about a 15 house spread!

Is my point that I like this? No, as a matter of fact I wish to death I could finally live around mostly people from my background. We would be able to have conversations based on familiar experiences.

So, I do not condemn the poster. He just misses where he came from. He's being honest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by high iron View Post
I still remember how the city looked the first time I took a cab from the airport to my new conapt in what was a major open air heroin market on the upper, upper west side. The cold December night, steel shutters down over all the storefronts, trash in the street. NYC looked like the place you go to die. Now when I get back to the city after time away, I feel like dropping down to my knees in front of Penn Station and kissing the asphalt of 7th Avenue. The rest of this benighted nation is a vast warren of freeways and Walmarts.

"The rest of this benighted nation is a vast warren of freeways and Walmarts.[/quote]
"

It most certainly is NOT. Hrumph! <g> Seriously, I have lived in absolutely LOVELY sections of New England and it is still quaint, gorgeous, charming and not filled with freeways and Walmarts.

You just have not been to the right places.

And I am a native New Yorker, talking here! I do NOT love NYC like you do and if I leave someday I will never visit again.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:40 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,032,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
Dear Posters:

This guy sounds like he can't stand diversity or anyone who is not like him. He's just not used to what we have here in NY. You know what? I live on an extremely diverse slightly upper middle class street in Queens. People are from Hong Kong, Columbia, Argentina, Greece, Trinidad, and America - are Irish American, Italian American, etc. within about a 15 house spread!

Is my point that I like this? No, as a matter of fact I wish to death I could finally live around mostly people from my background. We would be able to have conversations based on familiar experiences.

So, I do not condemn the poster. He just misses where he came from. He's being honest.
I don't condemn him either, but he needs to move to a state that doesn't attract immigrants. NYC and the east coast in general have always been magnets for them historically. Once established they move to other parts of the country (usually first or second generation).

Old 09-02-2012, 05:26 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,502,280 times
Quote:
I sympathize with most of your post, but, my friend, you think that HUNTING!!!! IS ACCEPTABLE BEHAVIOR?

To go and out and hunt down a defenseless animal for the sport (and don't tell me you use the meat - it's all a rationalization for the FUN of KILLING a defenseless animal) is truly sick behavior, very immoral and cruel...and you get the point.

It is unacceptable behavior.
This is so true.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
I don't condemn him either, but he needs to move to a state that doesn't attract immigrants. NYC and the east coast in general have always been magnets for them historically. Once established they move to other parts of the country (usually first or second generation).
Yes. Maybe he's just venting his shock that NY is nothing like where he came from. He doesn't sound like he f fits in, does he?

Old 09-02-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
This is so true.

Thank you! I am not a member of PETA (don't like them), but I am a member of several animal protection organizations that are trying, against the meanies of this world, to protect wildlife from hunters and their cruel behavior.

(Humane Society of the United States, Defenders of Wildlife, The Fund for Animals, etc.)

Great organizations.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:42 AM

10,224 posts, read 19,223,538 times
Quote:
I sympathize with most of your post, but, my friend, you think that HUNTING!!!! IS ACCEPTABLE BEHAVIOR?
Sure is.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:57 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,245,318 times
If your not supposed to eat animals then why are they made of meat?

Old 09-02-2012, 10:39 AM

676 posts, read 1,262,109 times
NYC can be an adjustment for someone from a smaller, more laid back place. While people here are friendly, it does seem to take more time to establish a casual acquaintance type of rapport that leads to friendship.

OP, my suggestion would be to pursue fishing. As NYAnnie mentioned, there are places to fish in the NYC area. My dad did most of his in Queen & Brooklyn. He'd get up at 4am to get there early. Sometimes he'd go out on party boats from Sheepshead Bay in Brooklyn. See if there are any fishing clubs you can join. Also, having grown up in the outer boroughs, my experience has been that outer borough/suburban people can be a bit more approachable and friendly than people in Manhattan. You may be able to make some friends through fishing/fishing trips.

NYC Parks Dept page on fishing:
Fishing : NYC Parks

Not sure how useful this is, but it's got links to fishing in the NYC area:
NYCfishing.com - New York City Fishing Links for the Metropolitan Area.

Another socializing avenue is to see if your college/university has an alumni club in NYC. Many do. They organize events like happy hours and tailgates at football games. You'll have the alma mater in common and the social culture may be more like what you're used to

If you still feel the same way after a year or so, then you may want to ask for a transfer to someplace you'll be happier or find a job in one of those cities/towns.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
If your not supposed to eat animals then why are they made of meat?
Not eating animals, being a vegan, is not what I was talking about, although I deeply admire people who do not eat or use animal products.

What I was talking about was the sport of hunting. People can give me the long boring tired line all they want about how they kill to provide food but it is of course, nowadays, a big fat lie.

A lie.

They hunt because they feel they can justify the PLEASURE of going out and tracking down and killing a wild animal.

They love to kill animals and chase them down.

It is a low life "sport". It is mean and nasty. It is not necessary. And it often involves horrific mental and physical suffering.

I won't mince words. These animals deserve better.

OK, off the soapbox - back to the topic at hand..Or I will have to start a new thread and don't want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City