Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2012, 01:53 PM

349 posts, read 990,706 times

Advertisements

I've read reports that America is an increasingly urban country, with 60% of Americans living in or around major cities. When I tried to dispute that characterization, I was flamed. To me as a European born guy it's pretty obvious that America is not by any stretch of the imagination an "urban" nation, but people pointed me to studies claiming the opposite.

So which is it? Here we have a "regular" American guy saying that NYC with its urban culture is totally contrary to the values and lifestyle of mainstream America. TBH, I completely agree as my observations have been the same...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 02:34 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene80 View Post
I've read reports that America is an increasingly urban country, with 60% of Americans living in or around major cities. When I tried to dispute that characterization, I was flamed. To me as a European born guy it's pretty obvious that America is not by any stretch of the imagination an "urban" nation, but people pointed me to studies claiming the opposite.
More like 75-80%. Might be a little less depending on your definition of major cities. The difference between US and Europe might be because most American live in spread out leafy suburbs around big cities instead more packed in urban areas.

Quote:
So which is it? Here we have a "regular" American guy saying that NYC with its urban culture is totally contrary to the values and lifestyle of mainstream America. TBH, I completely agree as my observations have been the same...
NYC is one extreme but most Americans do no live rural areas

Old 08-31-2012, 02:38 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,106,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
How is that regular? Just one of many subsets of America. I haven't lived in New York City but few people I know fit that list. Hunting? Many a handful, it's more a niche interest rather the norm except out in the boonies. Northern European was probably a minority where I grew up.

Just because you grew up in one particular culture doesn't mean you're more "regular" than anyone else.

I do agree there's a bit of an over competitive, impatient attitude among many New Yorkers, but not everyone is like that.
^^^^
I lived in Rhode Island for a long time and I knew few people interested in hunting or fishing and only a small number with farms - 2 in fact. I lived in TN for 2 years and knew few people who hunted or fished. Good grief, not everyone has the same interests. If you want people to discuss farming, then move upstate. For fishing, go to places where there are fishing towns - I can recommend Gallilea, RI or places on the Jersey shore. Why would you expect to find people discussing fishing in the middle of Manhattan? People do fish here on Staten Island but it is very much more of a suburban than a city environment. Heck, we even have farms here still.

Having lived in farm country and near a fishing port, I wouldn't be expecting those folks to be discussing the stock market or carrying D&G purses or wearing the latest designer shoes. That's what I expect from Manhattanites.

So, bottom line, if you want to fit in, don't expect to be "back home" in your head. Find a book store, join a book discussion group; if you want to talk farming or homesteading or how the guineas (hens) are doing, then find someone online.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:18 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regular folk View Post
They told me that I was the best student in my High School class and I was rewarded by a full scholarship to collge. In college I excelled and got a 4.0 at the University of GA and a degree in Accounting. Many employers expressed interest in me and eventually I went to work for one of the large BIG 4 Accounting firms. They said they needed me in their huge office in New York City and like a good solider I accepted their offer and took a job in Manhattan in NYC.

I am miserable in New York City!

It is a mess here and most people are so harsh and unfriendly. I miss the southern hostility of Athens GA. I miss small talk with people in public, smiles from grocery clerks, I miss people who like to hunt, fish and camp, I miss yards with big trees and grass.

But what really can't stand about living in New York City is the attitude so many of the people have here. The brashness, the ego, the rudeness and how many people treat anyone outside of their circle like they don't exist. People won't look you in the eye even if they have business with you. There is a feeling of mistrust. I walk the streets and it seems like everyone looks so beaten down and tired. I see it in their eyes. Lots of lonley people. I don't see as many people with their family and everyone is in a hurry. They talk fast and walk fast.

I can understand why. There is over 10 million people here, many with their own agenda and everyone seems to be in their own little clique. Every person breaks down into their own ethic group, social group, economic group, age group, hip factor group, fashion group, etc. Everyone else is invisible.

Back in Athens GA most people came from a similar mind set, spoke English, were long term Americans and were middle class. While we all had our differences in personality, we were enough alike and shared a bond through culture, language and southern hospitality that I had an easy time making friends and chatting with regular folks like me.

Anyone else just overwhelmed by New York and want out?
So you were the smartest one?

Old 08-31-2012, 04:32 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
I am the 1950s definition of the typical American. 4th Generation in the country, English as a first and only language, white, Northern European background, like hunting, fishing, camping, NASCAR, bowling and golfing. Low key, laid back, traditional values, religious and wholesome.

Unlike many NY'ers I am not rude, a con man, multi cultural, in your face, full of bravo or always trying to score a deal. I am regular folks!
But you don't sound like a very nice person, and no matter how smart you think you are, scholarship and Big 4 job nothwithstanding, being a self-important snob isn't going to get you too far.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:46 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,033,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
But you don't sound like a very nice person, and no matter how smart you think you are, scholarship and Big 4 job nothwithstanding, being a self-important snob isn't going to get you too far.
"You must spread some rep around...."

Old 09-01-2012, 01:37 AM

34,081 posts, read 47,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Well to be fair I went to school in Florida, and lived/worked in central Florida for a short time after graduation. If there were better opportunities there, and higher pay, I would have definitely stayed! It is a calm/laidback/casual lifestyle, clean, very affordable, lots of amenities, I like the heat/sun/beach, most things are new and in good condition (homes, infrastructure, etc), easy to not be affected by the ghetto people, and most people are generally working/middle class.

Alas, I returned to NYC for the paycheck, the opportunities, and ultimately, this is home.
You know, I think this is one of the most honest and coolest things you ever posted.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-01-2012, 02:41 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,791,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Mightyqueen801, I wish I could rep you again for this one!

Old 09-01-2012, 02:50 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,791,914 times
Quote:
Regular Folk not fitting into New York City
I am miserable in New York City!
Honestly, the title of your thread is very insulting. Are you suggesting the us New Yorkers are irregular in some way? What makes your way of life better than ours and why are you regular folk? If your so miserable here why are you wasting your time, and ours, complaining and insulting us. You need to man up and take your Nascar a$$ back to the peach tree state!

Last edited by makossa; 09-01-2012 at 03:17 PM..

Old 09-01-2012, 03:42 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,514,200 times
I sympathize with most of your post, but, my friend, you think that HUNTING!!!! IS ACCEPTABLE BEHAVIOR?

To go and out and hunt down a defenseless animal for the sport (and don't tell me you use the meat - it's all a rationalization for the FUN of KILLING a defenseless animal) is truly sick behavior, very immoral and cruel...and you get the point.

It is unacceptable behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City