Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2012, 07:44 PM

475 posts, read 853,280 times

Advertisements

I moved from New York and now live in the south. You my friend are not gpoing to find New Yorker's to sympathize with you, NYC can be a very harsh place especially if you are from a smaller southern town/city. To live in Manhattan you must adopt a yuppie -hipster-ism. NYC is about money, flash, get out of my way, trust fund baby, shop at Sak's and weekends at the Hamptons. If you want to see the real New York City get out of Manhattan and checkout the other borough's and go see the real people. Manhattan is tourism, Wall Street, and Broadway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 08:42 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,223,538 times
Looks to me like these "regular folk" are the people the much-hated Midwestern transplants are fleeing.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:59 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,382,695 times
While I don't necessarily agree with the poster's specific gripes, I will say that in general, "regular folk" do have trouble fitting into this city, just like everyone else though. And by that I mean, if you are a regular lower working class joe-blow, work 9-5, drive to work, have 2.2 kids, wave to neighbors in the morning, church on Sunday, and expect everyone else to be similar to you and believe all the same things/do the same things, which for the most part represents much of the country, then yes, you will have trouble fitting in.

But it is more about setting expectations...why would you come to NYC and expect to drive to a wal-mart on 59th street with 1,500 parking spaces, or have a peaceful walk down Canal with the kids for ice cream, or go line dancing at Roseland Ballroom every Friday night, or shop at 40 isle supermarkets with every product known to man, etc. That lifestyle does not exist in NYC, nor has it ever, but it does exist in the rest of the country.

If you want to live like you did in your old neighborhood in Tabernacle, Ohio, almost every other part of the country is made for you, but NYC is not. This is not a problem with NYC..it is one of the reasons people live in NYC..because it is unlike every other place in the country, and really the world for that matter.

That being said I do understand what this person means, and to some extent I have some of the same gripes. I however created a home environment that provides all of the same feel of living anywhere in the country, like glass and light everywhere, central heat/air, a green grassy backyard, etc..so I made my own version of "regular America" in the city...it is the only way I can tolerate living in NYC for an extended period. I would probably not be living in NYC for any extended period if I did not feel like a "regular person"..so I kinda understand. It's the only way to maintain your sanity. Once you walk out that door though..reality kicks in!

Old 08-30-2012, 09:55 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,332,447 times
On the one hand I get it that NYC is not for everyone and the only way you'd know is if you tried it out but I assume people who move here made a choice to move to NYC and must have known (from TV shows, movies, songs, and general research about life here) that it would be VERY, VERY different from small town USA. It's one thing if you grew up here and had enough, but it's another thing when you make a conscious decision to pick up your life in small town USA and move to the big city. Or maybe that's just it, people have seen the TV and movie versions of NYC and have this image of how they think it is and imagine that they would love living that type of life. Perhaps they haven't done a fair self assessment of the things THEY like and value and find out too late that NYC is the polar opposite of everything they hold dear. That seems to be the very common theme of these "can't stand living here" posts. These people are from areas that are very different from NYC and really what they are dealing with is culture shock.

For me, I know myself well enough to know that I would never, EVER, EVER be happy in a small or rural town. I've visited family down south and thought I was going to die of utter boredom and monotony. I need to be in a big city or at the very least, within a very short commute to one. If I ever left the NYC (metro area) I could only stomach living in Paris or London and I might be able to be "talked into" living in Chicago, San Fran, Boston, or DC...

Old 08-30-2012, 10:01 AM

317 posts, read 820,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regular folk View Post
They told me that I was the best student in my High School class and I was rewarded by a full scholarship to collge. In college I excelled and got a 4.0 at the University of GA and a degree in Accounting. Many employers expressed interest in me and eventually I went to work for one of the large BIG 4 Accounting firms. They said they needed me in their huge office in New York City and like a good solider I accepted their offer and took a job in Manhattan in NYC.

I am miserable in New York City!

It is a mess here and most people are so harsh and unfriendly. I miss the southern hostility of Athens GA. I miss small talk with people in public, smiles from grocery clerks, I miss people who like to hunt, fish and camp, I miss yards with big trees and grass.

But what really can't stand about living in New York City is the attitude so many of the people have here. The brashness, the ego, the rudeness and how many people treat anyone outside of their circle like they don't exist. People won't look you in the eye even if they have business with you. There is a feeling of mistrust. I walk the streets and it seems like everyone looks so beaten down and tired. I see it in their eyes. Lots of lonley people. I don't see as many people with their family and everyone is in a hurry. They talk fast and walk fast.

I can understand why. There is over 10 million people here, many with their own agenda and everyone seems to be in their own little clique. Every person breaks down into their own ethic group, social group, economic group, age group, hip factor group, fashion group, etc. Everyone else is invisible.

Back in Athens GA most people came from a similar mind set, spoke English, were long term Americans and were middle class. While we all had our differences in personality, we were enough alike and shared a bond through culture, language and southern hospitality that I had an easy time making friends and chatting with regular folks like me.

Anyone else just overwhelmed by New York and want out?

What did you expect from a city with over 8million people ... I have been offered jobs in cities that I didnt think was for me and I passed... Location of where you spend your life is just as important as the job and the money that it pays.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:02 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,382,695 times
Well to be fair I went to school in Florida, and lived/worked in central Florida for a short time after graduation. If there were better opportunities there, and higher pay, I would have definitely stayed! It is a calm/laidback/casual lifestyle, clean, very affordable, lots of amenities, I like the heat/sun/beach, most things are new and in good condition (homes, infrastructure, etc), easy to not be affected by the ghetto people, and most people are generally working/middle class.

Alas, I returned to NYC for the paycheck, the opportunities, and ultimately, this is home.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:49 AM

900 posts, read 2,373,470 times
Op, go hang out with some drag queens/gay men for a few nights partying, that'll loosen you up. You might find a new appreciation for life and the world. lol

Old 08-31-2012, 11:46 AM

188 posts, read 277,041 times
Quote:
They told me that I was the best student in my High School class and I was rewarded by a full scholarship to collge. In college I excelled and got a 4.0 at the University of GA and a degree in Accounting. Many employers expressed interest in me and eventually I went to work for one of the large BIG 4 Accounting firms. They said they needed me in their huge office in New York City and like a good solider I accepted their offer and took a job in Manhattan in NYC.

I am miserable in New York City!

It is a mess here and most people are so harsh and unfriendly. I miss the southern hostility of Athens GA. I miss small talk with people in public, smiles from grocery clerks, I miss people who like to hunt, fish and camp, I miss yards with big trees and grass.

But what really can't stand about living in New York City is the attitude so many of the people have here. The brashness, the ego, the rudeness and how many people treat anyone outside of their circle like they don't exist. People won't look you in the eye even if they have business with you. There is a feeling of mistrust. I walk the streets and it seems like everyone looks so beaten down and tired. I see it in their eyes. Lots of lonley people. I don't see as many people with their family and everyone is in a hurry. They talk fast and walk fast.

I can understand why. There is over 10 million people here, many with their own agenda and everyone seems to be in their own little clique. Every person breaks down into their own ethic group, social group, economic group, age group, hip factor group, fashion group, etc. Everyone else is invisible.

Back in Athens GA most people came from a similar mind set, spoke English, were long term Americans and were middle class. While we all had our differences in personality, we were enough alike and shared a bond through culture, language and southern hospitality that I had an easy time making friends and chatting with regular folks like me.

Anyone else just overwhelmed by New York and want out?

Old 08-31-2012, 12:41 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,143,701 times
WHINER! So you go from a small Burb to a HUGE city and expect people to talk and act like they are from the South? That everyone should talk about fishing and farming? I'm all for different strokes but I don't think you have given this city a far chance. Yes it can wear you down. If you are worn down, take a vacay. If you don't like the city, MOVE. It's not that caring and unfeeling. It's a diverse city where you can learn there are different types of view but your own. I have learned so much about different cultures and religions since being down here.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:44 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,523,129 times
Quote:
I am the 1950s definition of the typical American. 4th Generation in the country, English as a first and only language, white, Northern European background, like hunting, fishing, camping, NASCAR, bowling and golfing. Low key, laid back, traditional values, religious and wholesome.
How is that regular? Just one of many subsets of America. I haven't lived in New York City but few people I know fit that list. Hunting? Many a handful, it's more a niche interest rather the norm except out in the boonies. Northern European was probably a minority where I grew up.

Just because you grew up in one particular culture doesn't mean you're more "regular" than anyone else.

I do agree there's a bit of an over competitive, impatient attitude among many New Yorkers, but not everyone is like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City