Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2013, 08:01 AM

37,161 posts, read 39,451,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
My fiancee and I grew up in very small towns in Arkansas (<10,000 people in each), and we recently relocated to NYC. We love it. Maybe the OP is already long gone, but he or she sounds like a really closed-minded moron. Also, I don't know how he got a 4.0 when his spelling, grammar, and syntax are all terrible. UGA must not be as good as I thought it was.

lol no. NASCAR has its fans, but it rates well below football, basketball, and baseball in terms of popularity.
Nice user name. Y'all into scotch tape x-rays?

I think the answer is the account might have been for trolling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Oh please GTFO with this. I can't even count how many liberals I have come across that feel the same exact way about what is "real" America and another America except vice versa in their beliefs. I agree that there are plenty of thick headed repubs in this country who espouse views that are silly. However there are plenty of thick headed, living in a bubble libs who do the same. You're just showing your "my team is better than your team" mentality once again.
I see the my team is better than your team, but I don't really see the "real" America thing with liberals.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:10 AM

11 posts, read 28,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
My fiancee and I grew up in very small towns in Arkansas (<10,000 people in each), and we recently relocated to NYC. We love it. Maybe the OP is already long gone, but he or she sounds like a really closed-minded moron. Also, I don't know how he got a 4.0 when his spelling, grammar, and syntax are all terrible. UGA must not be as good as I thought it was.
Eh. At first I thought the same thing, but then again, you can be a great accountant and not excel at English, I suppose.

All in all, I work in midtown in Manhattan but live in NJ. My commute to work is about an hour - 30ish mins on the bus, depending on traffic, and then a 20 minute walk to work. I love NYC, but I like going home to peace and quietness. So people who aren't a fan of busy/rude life of NYC might want to consider other options. Sure it's nice to have a 15 min commute, but a. you pay an insane rent price for a tiny apartment or a room b. you have no open spaces.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:20 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,219,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I see the my team is better than your team, but I don't really see the "real" America thing with liberals.
No? Ask any hardcore liberal (on the same extreme as the so called conservative in question) and they'll tell you that no individual should have a gun for any purpose. That everyone should chip in monetarily whatever it takes to take care of any and all people who don't work, etc etc. That is the "real" America in their eyes and anyone that cares to live any other way live in some savage land that they wouldn't step foot in.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
No? Ask any hardcore liberal (on the same extreme as the so called conservative in question) and they'll tell you that no individual should have a gun for any purpose. That everyone should chip in monetarily whatever it takes to take care of any and all people who don't work, etc etc. That is the "real" America in their eyes and anyone that cares to live any other way live in some savage land that they wouldn't step foot in.
I don't think you understand what's being discussed. The kind of rhetoric of "we are real Americans" or "we are more American" is something I have heard mostly conservatives use. On the other side of it is I hear liberals more often disparage Americans and the US which is also bad. I have no pony in this race, I'm just saying that they have different kinds of rhetoric and the conservatives are the ones that tend to go with the more "we are real americans, those are not" line of discussion than liberals do. It's got nothing to do with the guns, welfare, or whatever platform you are interested in.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:47 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,219,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I don't think you understand what's being discussed. The kind of rhetoric of "we are real Americans" or "we are more American" is something I have heard mostly conservatives use. On the other side of it is I hear liberals more often disparage Americans and the US which is also bad. I have no pony in this race, I'm just saying that they have different kinds of rhetoric and the conservatives are the ones that tend to go with the more "we are real americans, those are not" line of discussion than liberals do. It's got nothing to do with the guns, welfare, or whatever platform you are interested in.
"Disparaging Americans and the US" is exactly the same thing. You're just phrasing it differently.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:10 PM

895 posts, read 1,704,001 times
I think it's important to note that one can draw broad conclusions about any region, and what is paradise to one person might be hell to another. It's all a matter of perspective.
While the OP was thrown off by what he percieved as a cutthroat/abrasive vibe, I'm sure others will say that they perceive southern culture as bigoted and superficial. Obviously these are both broad stereotypes but it all goes back to individual preference.
The point is that there's no single area for everyone and everyone should respect that.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:13 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,557,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regular folk View Post
They told me that I was the best student in my High School class and I was rewarded by a full scholarship to collge. In college I excelled and got a 4.0 at the University of GA and a degree in Accounting. Many employers expressed interest in me and eventually I went to work for one of the large BIG 4 Accounting firms. They said they needed me in their huge office in New York City and like a good solider I accepted their offer and took a job in Manhattan in NYC.

I am miserable in New York City!

It is a mess here and most people are so harsh and unfriendly. I miss the southern hostility of Athens GA. I miss small talk with people in public, smiles from grocery clerks, I miss people who like to hunt, fish and camp, I miss yards with big trees and grass.

But what really can't stand about living in New York City is the attitude so many of the people have here. The brashness, the ego, the rudeness and how many people treat anyone outside of their circle like they don't exist. People won't look you in the eye even if they have business with you. There is a feeling of mistrust. I walk the streets and it seems like everyone looks so beaten down and tired. I see it in their eyes. Lots of lonley people. I don't see as many people with their family and everyone is in a hurry. They talk fast and walk fast.

I can understand why. There is over 10 million people here, many with their own agenda and everyone seems to be in their own little clique. Every person breaks down into their own ethic group, social group, economic group, age group, hip factor group, fashion group, etc. Everyone else is invisible.

Back in Athens GA most people came from a similar mind set, spoke English, were long term Americans and were middle class. While we all had our differences in personality, we were enough alike and shared a bond through culture, language and southern hospitality that I had an easy time making friends and chatting with regular folks like me.

Anyone else just overwhelmed by New York and want out?
You my friend described New York in a nut shell.

Welcome to NY.

Oh and I think you mean hospitality not hostility.

You either get with the flow or get out. Just the way it is. You need to find your group or "clique" which you will. Coworkers all have daggers in their smiles but they usually don't show it. Sounds like to me the problem is either you are them. If you are working in NYC then you spend most of your time with your coworkers. Thus, I assume you are talking about them.

Old 05-10-2013, 06:57 AM

12,927 posts, read 18,778,463 times
Quote:
They told me that I was the best student in my High School class and I was rewarded by a full scholarship to collge. In college I excelled and got a 4.0 at the University of GA and a degree in Accounting. Many employers expressed interest in me and eventually I went to work for one of the large BIG 4 Accounting firms. They said they needed me in their huge office in New York City and like a good solider I accepted their offer and took a job in Manhattan in NYC.

I am miserable in New York City!

It is a mess here and most people are so harsh and unfriendly. I miss the southern hostility of Athens GA. I miss small talk with people in public, smiles from grocery clerks, I miss people who like to hunt, fish and camp, I miss yards with big trees and grass.

But what really can't stand about living in New York City is the attitude so many of the people have here. The brashness, the ego, the rudeness and how many people treat anyone outside of their circle like they don't exist. People won't look you in the eye even if they have business with you. There is a feeling of mistrust. I walk the streets and it seems like everyone looks so beaten down and tired. I see it in their eyes. Lots of lonley people. I don't see as many people with their family and everyone is in a hurry. They talk fast and walk fast.

I can understand why. There is over 10 million people here, many with their own agenda and everyone seems to be in their own little clique. Every person breaks down into their own ethic group, social group, economic group, age group, hip factor group, fashion group, etc. Everyone else is invisible.

Back in Athens GA most people came from a similar mind set, spoke English, were long term Americans and were middle class. While we all had our differences in personality, we were enough alike and shared a bond through culture, language and southern hospitality that I had an easy time making friends and chatting with regular folks like me.

Did your college curriculum include courses in the humanities and foreign languages? I live in Columbia, South Carolina. I majored in English at the University of South Carolina (Go, Gamecocks! [LOL - the city-data control system put asterisks where I typed the shortened version of Gamecocks that I'm sure you're aware of.]), and there's a side of me that would fit right into the NYC you describe. I'm a native South Carolinian, but some of the nicest people I have ever met were native New Yorkers living in NYC when I attended the New York School of Dog Grooming in 1979. Sometimes, for some reasons, I wish I had never left NYC.

I am currently researching the possibility of getting my master's in teaching English as a second language and have been researching the market for instructors in NYC. My ESL instructor salary would be additional to my state government pension from a career in South Carolina state government. I figure my pension would pay the rent with money to spare, and my instructor salary would allow me have a little fun.

I'm sitting here in my house looking out the windows at all the greenery that surrounds me. I plan to go for a stroll downtown in a little while and watch Columbia be Columbia. I read your post to my partner and he says he feels bad for you. So do I, but there's a part of me that would give up what I have here to immerse myself in NYC for the rest of my life. Could it be that you need to reach deep inside of your being and ask yourself if you are just suffering from the grass is greener syndrome?

Old 05-10-2013, 08:12 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,302,429 times
Quote:

I'm not a southerner, I'm not a northerner. My military family background meant we moved every three years. I've lived all over the country, so I don't claim to be from any particular region. However, I moved from NJ/NJ to the Charlotte NC metro area almost seven years ago.

Your post could mimic the ones I see on the Charlotte, NC boards, in that the NC/SC people claim the NYC/NJ people are rude, but yet it's the NC/SC people posting rude things on the boards. Never fails to amaze me. What I want to know is why do some people in the South think they own being polite and friendly and no one else does it better? Because to be honest, I had better friends in NJ/NJ than I do here in NC/SC.

Don't get me wrong - I love living in NC/SC and have not regretted the decision to move here a single time, but it's not because of the close-minded "aren't we southerners more awesome than everyone else?" people down here.

I moved to NYC in 1997 from Virginia and lived in the NJ/NYC area until 2006. I LOVED it. So many great friends, some amazing neighbors (both in Queens and in NoNJ when we bought a house in the 'burbs). Yes, occasionally I'd meet someone who was rude - but almost everytime they were NOT native NYCers.

I went to college here in the Charlotte area and they were four very fun years - friends of a lifetime. It's part of the reason I talked my husband into transplanting when NoNJ became too expensive for our family of four. However, in my experience living here the past 7 years I'm not nearly as close to these people as I was to the people I knew in NYC.

Your last full paragraph sounds like a bit of xenophobia to me, so perhaps NYC was not a wise choice, regardless of the great job offer. Maybe ATL would have been a better choice?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City