Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2013, 09:56 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,619,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Romanticizing in what way? I'm not getting you. You referring to my sentence about us needing them, more so than vice-versa in the grand scheme of things? That's truth..
More that the reason a lot of Americans don't like New Yorkers is that New Yorkers are snobby. That's part of it, but there are worse reasons too.

I don't know who needs whom more. America produces so little anymore, city or country, it's hard to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 10:05 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,056,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
Have you ever lived/spent much time in a "red state" or anywhere in middle America? I'm not challenging you or anything, just curious.

If I'm not mistaken, their was a thread on here that said that why don't New Yorkers travel. If I'm not mistaken most New Yorkers are very insular people. At most for a New Yorker going to Florida like going to another world. Plenty of New Yorkers are not any better than some people who live in the sticks in Dixie. Come to think of it, when I Was NOLA last week, I came across people who want to move to NYC, I said go for it. However I spoke to one guy who works at the confederate museum, he is happy that Bill De Blasio won the election. Didn't know confederates like liberals, who knew.

But I can say is that New Yorkers do get a bad rapport when I visit other parts of the country. Thankfully I'm able to dispel some of that. Wow didn't know New YOrkers are cool, wow you have a nice accent, I thought New Yorkers were short? Are you Italian or Jewish or Puerto Rican? I hear the Bronx and Brooklyn is real dangerous? Do you live in Manhattan? But New Yorkers get a bad rap from rest of America through the media which portrayals NYC in many different lights and themes.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:08 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,908,662 times
Quote:
Lol at "not politically correct". It's not even remotely that buddy. It's literally only coming across like a pretentious douche. Nothing more, nothing less.
I call it as I see it.

And their opinion (as well as yours) is as important to me, as the release of a new nickelback album.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:22 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,219,078 times
Quote:
More that the reason a lot of Americans don't like New Yorkers is that New Yorkers are snobby. That's part of it, but there are worse reasons too.

I don't know who needs whom more. America produces so little anymore, city or country, it's hard to say.
Middle America literally feeds the cities. And I include upstate ny in that, if one were to come back and say they only eat local. Step outside the metro area bubble once in while and you'll realize that most people are the type that own guns and hunt. These are the types of folk that raise, slaughter, and ship even the grassfed beef and free range chicken. Nevermind the commercial slaughterhouses.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Middle America literally feeds the cities. And I include upstate ny in that, if one were to come back and say they only eat local. Step outside the metro area bubble once in while and you'll realize that most people are the type that own guns and hunt. These are the types of folk that raise, slaughter, and ship even the grassfed beef and free range chicken. Nevermind the commercial slaughterhouses.
My organically grown chicken was raised in on the Border between Williamsburg and Bedstuy. Locally grown and eat movement is one of the greatests lols ever! Farm to table Burger wtf?

Old 11-27-2013, 10:41 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,619,504 times
Quote:
Yeah, thinking about it more you're right. In terms of pure survival we do need middle America more.

I grew up far outside the metro bubble, btw, in a state where hunting is very popular, and my family owns guns--this stuff is not foreign to me.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Yeah, thinking about it more you're right. In terms of pure survival we do need middle America more.

I grew up far outside the metro bubble, btw, in a state where hunting is very popular, and my family owns guns--this stuff is not foreign to me.
Yeah I definitely wasn't referring to you specifically when I said "you". Just meant it in a general sense.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:48 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,908,662 times
Availableuslessname's logic is lol worthy.
So we depend on red states because they're farmers and feed us, pompous liberal city dwellers?
Is that the contention?

Ever heard of farm subsidies?

Corn (americas crop) and some of its toxic corn by products like high fructose corn syrup are heavily subsidized, fyi.

Did you know you. Available, that red states get more money back than that what they send out as tax dollars?

Hmm. How's the dependency scale looking so far?

I personally don't eat much meat anymore. I've managed to cut down meat consumption to one day per week. With some weeks none at all, so I'm not so worried about it.
As for fresh produce, most of mine comes from California... Hardly a red state.

Simple minded people make fun of innovative ideas such as rooftop farms or locally grown produce. But those same people probably have little to no idea of the advantages of such a business models.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:59 AM

They get paid well for their goods because they can. Due to us needing them. To ya know, survive. If nyc didn't exist, these areas would be fine because they could feed themselves. If those areas didn't exist, nyc and it's absurdly dense population would be screwed. People literally would starve to death. We depend on these states. That's what I mean by "the grand scheme of things". Not even talking about money. I think I read that this city has like a 2 or 3 day food supply if shyte were to hit the fan. Not the case in rural america.

Also, blue states are blue because of the major cities. Where none of the food is raised/grown. So there's also that.

Last edited by availableusername; 11-27-2013 at 11:08 AM..

Old 11-27-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
Availableuslessname's logic is lol worthy.
So we depend on red states because they're farmers and feed us, pompous liberal city dwellers?
Is that the contention?

Ever heard of farm subsidies?

Corn (americas crop) and some of its toxic corn by products like high fructose corn syrup are heavily subsidized, fyi.

Did you know you. Available, that red states get more money back than that what they send out as tax dollars?

Hmm. How's the dependency scale looking so far?

I personally don't eat much meat anymore. I've managed to cut down meat consumption to one day per week. With some weeks none at all, so I'm not so worried about it.
As for fresh produce, most of mine comes from California... Hardly a red state.

Simple minded people make fun of innovative ideas such as rooftop farms or locally grown produce. But those same people probably have little to no idea of the advantages of such a business models.
I hope organic locally grown rooftop vegies and fruits plus live stock can feed Hundreds of thousands or maybe millions of superuber two faced liberal type, hipsters, yuppies, conservative ultra rich and yoga instructors!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City