Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2013, 09:26 AM

237 posts, read 330,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by regular folk View Post
I stay in Manhattan in my upper West Side (70s) Apartment. I am pretty much stuck here because I have a lease and would hate to commute in from the suburbs or Brooklyn or Queens. It is an easy commute to my office in midtown which is a plus. I talk to coworkers who commute in from Westchester (which has lots of trees and grass and huge lawns) but they appear burned out from the long commute.

I love my job but hate living in a dog eat dog culture of NYC.

* Yes, there are a few nice folks in NYC who I can chat with but if you took 1000 people at random here in Manhattan and rated them for niceness and compared them to 1000 people from Athens GA, the Georgia folks would win out 10 fold!

I wonder if there are other people on this board that live in NYC for the great paycheck, corporate office job, power, prestige but hate living in NYC for all the reasons I mention.
UWS is clique-y. They don't know you. Find a bar you like, go in on weekends, watch a few games, have some beer/wings, get to know some of bartenders/waitresses/locals. Be a regular somewhere. They will open up, and, you'll meet some nice women on a Fri/sat night too. The problem isn't the people, it's YOU. left me ask this: You're from Athens, Ga. How, um, "diverse" are you as far as who you'll strike up a convo with? Lots of blacks/Hispanics in NYC. Lots of Irish(straight from Ireland) bartenders in NYC.
Lots of every type of person. Are you sure you're not self-segregating? And, last I checked, upstate NY had hunting/fishing. And NJ. And CT. And PA. You sound like you can afford a car, or at least rent one. Not sure why you don't see all your possibilities..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 02:35 PM

1,480 posts, read 2,797,533 times
I love traveling to New York City and use to spend a lot of time there on business when I worked in Finance. But I could not get over the people, so brash and angry. And everyone broke into their ethnic groups. If you weren't like them you were invisible. It's not a spot for regular folks!

Old 08-19-2013, 07:21 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,432,447 times
I went to football camp in Athens Georgia. Vince Dooley was still the coach !

Welcome to NYC 2013. The people in this city are no longer true NY'ers. They are disgusting implants from anywhere and everywhere that think being rude is being a true NYer. WRONG.

A true NY is friendly and loves people of ALL DIFFERENT CULTURE....like I do. Most intelligent NYers have gotten the F out of here.

If I can find a smoking apartment in San Diego I am so there....

NY hasn't existed in over a decade IMO.

I like friendly people too. Gotta love that southern hospitality !

Old 08-19-2013, 09:06 PM

273 posts, read 673,027 times
I never met a regular folk and I have met people from all over the country working for FEMA for Hurricane Sandy. Really it is a matter of what you want and also you values.

What I would say is NEVER move to a city without sufficient foreknowledge - even if you company prompts you. If you have to take the position learn as much as possible about a place as huge as NYC.

But I have gotten to know my neighbors seen little babies grow up to be adults, watch kids play, I know the store owners and who my councilman is and borough president and I can say that where I live the oldest occupied private residence in the US exists - 16oo's to be exact. So I have a sense of history where I live.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:25 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,523,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astroia 34567 View Post
But I have gotten to know my neighbors seen little babies grow up to be adults, watch kids play, I know the store owners and who my councilman is and borough president and I can say that where I live the oldest occupied private residence in the US exists - 16oo's to be exact. So I have a sense of history where I live.
Which is that?

Old 11-26-2013, 06:47 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,797,533 times
I find few regular people, as described by the original posters, in New York City unless they are tourists. Most people who are in New York are TYPE A turn the world on fire types working in one of those skyscrapers, or immigrants.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:10 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,251,946 times
The OP isn't even a member anymore...

Old 11-26-2013, 10:38 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,432,447 times
I went to football camp in Athens , Georgia GO BULLDAWGS !

Anyway I am a native NYer and I will tell you this city and it's people are DIFFERENT these days. I think the worst part of this city are the people....transplants conservative gays and yuppies. Then of course you have the ghetto types on the perimeters.

Believe it or not there was a time when people were extremely friendly here but those times are gone. A LOT has to do with the economy and how this city has been jostled into a " new direction ".

I hope to move to Southern California VERY SOON.

By the way I do appreciate Southern Hospitality.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:56 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,730,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
I love traveling to New York City and use to spend a lot of time there on business when I worked in Finance. But I could not get over the people, so brash and angry. And everyone broke into their ethnic groups. If you weren't like them you were invisible. It's not a spot for regular folks!
Second time someone said this in the thread, and it's weird because it's such the opposite of reality. NYC is where you have friends from India, Korea, France, Brazil, and South Africa all in your immediate cubicle space! If you're going to associate with other cultures in this country I assure you it's going to be in NYC.

Maybe we're brash, but "angry" is your prejudice and not true at all. Don't mistaken no-BS / high standards for being angry. Yeah you'll get honked at incessantly when you don't drive at the green light, it's nothing personal but I've places to go!!

Old 11-26-2013, 02:09 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,731,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regular folk View Post
They told me that I was the best student in my High School class and I was rewarded by a full scholarship to collge. In college I excelled and got a 4.0 at the University of GA and a degree in Accounting. Many employers expressed interest in me and eventually I went to work for one of the large BIG 4 Accounting firms. They said they needed me in their huge office in New York City and like a good solider I accepted their offer and took a job in Manhattan in NYC.

I am miserable in New York City!

It is a mess here and most people are so harsh and unfriendly. I miss the southern hostility of Athens GA. I miss small talk with people in public, smiles from grocery clerks, I miss people who like to hunt, fish and camp, I miss yards with big trees and grass.

But what really can't stand about living in New York City is the attitude so many of the people have here. The brashness, the ego, the rudeness and how many people treat anyone outside of their circle like they don't exist. People won't look you in the eye even if they have business with you. There is a feeling of mistrust. I walk the streets and it seems like everyone looks so beaten down and tired. I see it in their eyes. Lots of lonley people. I don't see as many people with their family and everyone is in a hurry. They talk fast and walk fast.

I can understand why. There is over 10 million people here, many with their own agenda and everyone seems to be in their own little clique. Every person breaks down into their own ethic group, social group, economic group, age group, hip factor group, fashion group, etc. Everyone else is invisible.

Back in Athens GA most people came from a similar mind set, spoke English, were long term Americans and were middle class. While we all had our differences in personality, we were enough alike and shared a bond through culture, language and southern hospitality that I had an easy time making friends and chatting with regular folks like me.

Anyone else just overwhelmed by New York and want out?

Before you leave, let me know what you're paying in rent and how many bedrooms and when your apartment will be available
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City