Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2013, 08:31 AM

12,879 posts, read 18,736,837 times

Advertisements

Just because someone lives in red state doesn't mean they live in a red city, unless they live in the suburbs; but then they aren't really living in a city. Austin is a blue city. Even Columbia, where I live in the heart of reddest of red South Carolina, is blue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 08:56 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,212,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
Hey Finally we can agree on something.
But I wouldn't say they're like a plague.
More like a 'drag' on society and evolution.
Right on brother. Why can't the savages in middle america just change their ways and join the cities en masse? Like ya know? We'll teach them the true progressive ways that everybody must live by. We'll let all of mother nature's beautiful creatures roam the plains. We'll grow all of our crops on Brooklyn rooftops.

I'm talking an urban revolution here brother...

Old 11-27-2013, 08:58 AM

224 posts, read 675,680 times
Many factors are in play. First job out of college and with that you're learning that "play time" is over and it's time to be responsible for many things. It's not cheap to live here; you might be struggling a bit to live the lifestyle you're used to having. Then working for a Big Four is hectic as well because it's competitive and has so many moving parts (consulting is nothing like a regular 9 to 5).

It would be tough to deal with any one of these things and you're dealing with several at one time. You're stressed out and picking out all that you feel sucks around you.

You'll have to figure out what you want. If you want Athens, GA, then maybe stay in Athens. New York City is not for everyone.

Come to Queens. We'll get some burgers and beer.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:59 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,904,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Just because someone lives in red state doesn't mean they live in a red city, unless they live in the suburbs; but then they aren't really living in a city. Austin is a blue city. Even Columbia, where I live in the heart of reddest of red South Carolina, is blue.
I'm only half joking when I say they're a drag to society.

But the fact of the matter is that a livable city like Austin - in the heart of a state like Texas - has its hands tied to the back when it comes to policies that affect the entire state. Think of social & economic issues like; abortion, death penalty, gun & drug laws, labor and tax codes.
Not to mention that a blue city on its own doesn't usually elect national congress people.

An oasis in a dessert of backwardness can only do so much.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:00 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,617,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Right on brother. Why can't the savages in middle america just change their ways and join the cities en masse? Like ya know? We'll teach them the true progressive ways that everybody must live by. We'll let all of mother nature's beautiful creatures roam the plains. We'll grow all of our crops on Brooklyn rooftops.

I'm talking an urban revolution here brother...
Have you ever lived/spent much time in a "red state" or anywhere in middle America? I'm not challenging you or anything, just curious.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
Have you ever lived/spent much time in a "red state" or anywhere in middle America? I'm not challenging you or anything, just curious.
Yes I have actually. I've lived in a good few spots in this country. In fact, my old man lives in Billy Graham country as we speak. And while I personally don't agree with every social way of thinking that many do in these areas; I would never so snobbishly turn my nose up at these "backwards red states". Seems to be the cool, pompous liberal thing to do around here. And the reason why ny' rs around the country are looked at as such stuck up cvnts.

Fact is, those savages out there are far more important to us than we are to them in the grand scheme of things.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:22 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,904,476 times
availableuslessname maybe you should consider a move. I think you'll fit in just fine in hilly billy Graham country.

As for being a snob. I'm only one when it comes to bikes.

And If I offended anyone for being blunt and not politically correct, so be it.
go ahead cry me a river.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:35 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,617,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Yes I have actually. I've lived in a good few spots in this country. In fact, my old man lives in Billy Graham country as we speak. And while I personally don't agree with every social way of thinking that many do in these areas; I would never so snobbishly turn my nose up at these "backwards red states". Seems to be the cool, pompous liberal thing to do around here. And the reason why ny' rs around the country are looked at as such stuck up cvnts.

Fact is, those savages out there are far more important to us than we are to them in the grand scheme of things.
I think you're romanticizing the country folk a little, but I agree about the snobbishness. I don't like it either.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
availableuslessname maybe you should consider a move. I think you'll fit in just fine in hilly billy Graham country.

As for being a snob. I'm only one when it comes to bikes.

And If I offended anyone for being blunt and not politically correct, so be it.
go ahead cry me a river.
Lol at "not politically correct". It's not even remotely that buddy. It's literally only coming across like a pretentious douche. Nothing more, nothing less.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
I think you're romanticizing the country folk a little, but I agree about the snobbishness. I don't like it either.
Romanticizing in what way? I'm not getting you. You referring to my sentence about us needing them, more so than vice-versa in the grand scheme of things? That's truth..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City