Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 01:33 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,063,955 times

Advertisements

He wrote that almost 6 months ago. Do you think he is still around? Probably not. He realized fast that he wasnt cut out to swim in a sewer and call it a hot tub.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 01:35 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,832,954 times
Nothing to do with being 'tough enough' like so many true new yawkers love to pride themselves on. Sometimes, normal people would rather not live in the middle of a freak show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilmin View Post
This is a simple answer--- take all your phony southern charm and quilckly get out of this town. We have our own home grown bigots and we do not need any more like you clearly are. Face it kid, you
just ain't tough enough for the big city.

Old 02-07-2014, 02:05 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,992,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
Nothing to do with being 'tough enough' like so many true new yawkers love to pride themselves on. Sometimes, normal people would rather not live in the middle of a freak show.

If you think Athens GA is not a freak show-- you havn't lived/ just a different kind of freak- redneck vs
Yankee fan (I am a Red sox fan) but both freaks

Old 02-07-2014, 02:23 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,992,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
He wrote that almost 6 months ago. Do you think he is still around? Probably not. He realized fast that he wasnt cut out to swim in a sewer and call it a hot tub.
No I am sure that this person is gone but we still need to scare off those that think that NYC is the Mecca and Land of Golden opportunity dont we ?

Old 02-07-2014, 02:47 PM

158 posts, read 303,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regular folk View Post
Back in Athens GA most people came from a similar mind set, spoke English, were long term Americans and were middle class. While we all had our differences in personality, we were enough alike and shared a bond through culture, language and southern hospitality that I had an easy time making friends and chatting with regular folks like me.
Sounds boring, like eating the same meal all day every day. The real world is full of the people you meet in NY, your better off embracing the diversity instead of running from it.

Old 02-07-2014, 05:39 PM

298 posts, read 706,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldYork View Post
Sounds boring, like eating the same meal all day every day. The real world is full of the people you meet in NY, your better off embracing the diversity instead of running from it.
How come the most expensive neighborhoods have the least diversity, if it is diversity which is so valuable?

Being a yuppie is seriously underrated.

Old 02-07-2014, 05:43 PM

158 posts, read 303,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballervision View Post
How come the most expensive neighborhoods have the least diversity, if it is diversity which is so valuable?

Being a yuppie is seriously underrated.
Everyone takes the 6 train lol.

Old 02-07-2014, 06:57 PM

25 posts, read 28,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regular folk View Post
They told me that I was the best student in my High School class and I was rewarded by a full scholarship to collge. In college I excelled and got a 4.0 at the University of GA and a degree in Accounting. Many employers expressed interest in me and eventually I went to work for one of the large BIG 4 Accounting firms. They said they needed me in their huge office in New York City and like a good solider I accepted their offer and took a job in Manhattan in NYC.

I am miserable in New York City!

It is a mess here and most people are so harsh and unfriendly. I miss the southern hostility of Athens GA. I miss small talk with people in public, smiles from grocery clerks, I miss people who like to hunt, fish and camp, I miss yards with big trees and grass.

But what really can't stand about living in New York City is the attitude so many of the people have here. The brashness, the ego, the rudeness and how many people treat anyone outside of their circle like they don't exist. People won't look you in the eye even if they have business with you. There is a feeling of mistrust. I walk the streets and it seems like everyone looks so beaten down and tired. I see it in their eyes. Lots of lonley people. I don't see as many people with their family and everyone is in a hurry. They talk fast and walk fast.

I can understand why. There is over 10 million people here, many with their own agenda and everyone seems to be in their own little clique. Every person breaks down into their own ethic group, social group, economic group, age group, hip factor group, fashion group, etc. Everyone else is invisible.

Back in Athens GA most people came from a similar mind set, spoke English, were long term Americans and were middle class. While we all had our differences in personality, we were enough alike and shared a bond through culture, language and southern hospitality that I had an easy time making friends and chatting with regular folks like me.

Anyone else just overwhelmed by New York and want out?
I am from GA (ATL). and have worked all over the country. I consider you very fortunate and would give my right arm to live in NYC. I can't by an interview in NYC right now. LOL.

No offense, but I wouldn't mind the culture (attitude) in NYC at all. The people here down south have a tendency to smile in face and stab you in the back. I'm not with all of that... Living in the metro ATL most of my life, I'm a little more accustom "minding my own business" and not having to be a part of a click to fit in or feel accepted. I am not arrogant or pompous but I don't need a lot of attention.

Besides- I am at stage in my life where I carefully pick and chose my friends, therefore everyone I meet I do not have speak to or befriend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City