Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2013, 02:49 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times

Advertisements

I would love to move out of NYC, I probably will. This past year I checked out New Orleans, Austin and Charlotte. All three cities were great but for me a special nod went to Austin which I really liked, New Orleans is slowly growing with jobs and population, Charlotte is nice comfortable but a bit bland. I would love to move out of NYC but something hit me real hard that I observed. I coworker of mine who is a Transplant from the West Coast had a medical emergency and nearly died, and has no family in or around NYC. I realized that in case of an emergency it is always good to have family or loved ones that live nearby incase of an emergency. Life changing choices and decisions can not be made by close friends unless written in paper like a WILL OF TESTAMENT perhaps. Now I will focus my efforts and attention to move outside of the city limits like Westchester, Nassau and Jersey. The only way for me to move out of NYC now is probably with a relative or find a wife get married and move out of the city all together. Only if I had a trust fund it would have been much different!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 02:53 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
Before you leave, let me know what you're paying in rent and how many bedrooms and when your apartment will be available
lol, that reminds me of a classic joke

Test for a true New Yorker

Question:
"You are informed that a man has just committed suicide by jumping out of his apartment window. What is your immediate reaction?"

Correct Answer:
"So that means the apartment is available??"

Old 11-26-2013, 03:16 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,328,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I would love to move out of NYC, I probably will. This past year I checked out New Orleans, Austin and Charlotte. All three cities were great but for me a special nod went to Austin which I really liked, New Orleans is slowly growing with jobs and population, Charlotte is nice comfortable but a bit bland. I would love to move out of NYC but something hit me real hard that I observed. I coworker of mine who is a Transplant from the West Coast had a medical emergency and nearly died, and has no family in or around NYC. I realized that in case of an emergency it is always good to have family or loved ones that live nearby incase of an emergency. Life changing choices and decisions can not be made by close friends unless written in paper like a WILL OF TESTAMENT perhaps. Now I will focus my efforts and attention to move outside of the city limits like Westchester, Nassau and Jersey. The only way for me to move out of NYC now is probably with a relative or find a wife get married and move out of the city all together. Only if I had a trust fund it would have been much different!
You've been talking about moving out of NYC forever. Just do it already. What's holding you back? Two of my friends just up and moved to Providence. Another one left BK for CT (but wants to come back now, she's bored, ha!)

Old 11-26-2013, 03:40 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
You've been talking about moving out of NYC forever. Just do it already. What's holding you back? Two of my friends just up and moved to Providence. Another one left BK for CT (but wants to come back now, she's bored, ha!)
Nothing holding me back, I have to scope areas out first, which I have been doing, also making contact with employers. I actually had an one the phone interview with an employer from New Orleans. Lets see what happens. But again like I said due to family and incase of emergencies I cant stray to far. Providence is alright, just a small college city. I was so amazed by so many NYC Transplants that live out in NOLA. Again moving out is not easy especially since everyone close to embraces you.

Double You - Please Don't Go - YouTube

Old 11-26-2013, 04:08 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,904,476 times
Bxguayanese and the airborne head are like broken records. Always talking about leaving for one of those 'paradisaical' red states.
Talk is cheap. I suggest you guys start packing and move already.

And of course, don't forget to send us a postcard!

Old 11-26-2013, 05:21 PM

22 posts, read 46,401 times
Default I say Austin

Quote:
I am going to say Austin for sure!!! I have a few colleagues from that area plus I met some really nice people the past few years from Austin and the surrounding area while I was on vacation. I know it sounds crazy but they all seem so nice and there is so much to do there I bet you would love it and I also bet you would find someone to settle down with if you wanted to....you know just in case. I've been contemplating a move there myself but, I have a few reasons I can't right now. In 3-5 years I might though. Hey you only live once....try it!!!!

Old 11-26-2013, 09:03 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,328,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
Bxguayanese and the airborne head are like broken records. Always talking about leaving for one of those 'paradisaical' red states.

There are people who can just pick up and go. They are doers. If they want something, the figure out how to achieve it quickly. My friends that moved were out within a matter of months- jobs and fellowships waiting for them in their new states. Other people are thinkers. They spend a lot of time planning what they want. Doers are impulsive and thinkers are cautious. The problem with thinkers is that they sometimes overthink (or over plan) and therefore never get around to doing! Bxguayanese, you're overthinking. Save up some money, set up some interviews, and move. If you don't like it, come back to NYC or move elsewhere. You're letting your thinking get in the way of your acting.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:10 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,212,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post

Yeah maaaan, those red states dood. They're like a plague on society and stuff man. Team blue all the way bro...

*eats meat bought in the supermarket*

Old 11-26-2013, 09:25 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,246,530 times
Quote:
Incase of an emergency it's good to have someone around. Who the hell is going to bring me cigarettes and diet coke if i land in a hospital bed somewhere in Buffalo or Richmond?

Old 11-27-2013, 08:21 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,904,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Yeah maaaan, those red states dood. They're like a plague on society and stuff man. Team blue all the way bro...

*eats meat bought in the supermarket*
Hey Finally we can agree on something.
But I wouldn't say they're like a plague.
More like a 'drag' on society and evolution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City