Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 10:06 AM

483 posts, read 853,970 times

Advertisements

I used to live on the uws as well in the low 70s and broadway and even though I loved that area. I also felt that a lot of the people were stuck up. I understand where you are coming from. I have 2 dogs and that was a way of bonding with the other dog owners (and there are tons) in that area. That was one of the reasons why I went back to Harlem. The vibe is so different here in Harlem. It has character in that there are people sitting on their chairs chatting, people are nice, aren't stuck up and actually say hi. During the winter time, the men will extend their hand while I'm hesitantly walking on a slick patch of ice. Not once did that happen when I lived on the uws. The attitudes of the people that live in those two areas are so different.

It's funny because on the uws it's mostly transplants and in my area of Harlem, it's mostly natives. It's the same thing with Brooklyn, I work there and the population that I see are mostly native NYers and they are so nice. Now don't get me wrong, the natives may be nice but they might be blunt and assertive at the same time. I think you should experience NYC living in another area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 10:07 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,292,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regular folk View Post
... most people came from a similar mind set, spoke English, were long term Americans ...
You have other issues. If homogeneity of culture is important to you, you'll never be happy in New York.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:37 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,236,702 times
Remember when that dbag John Rocker insulted the 7 train riders? As if the mighty boro of QUEENS had something to be ashamed of for hosting the greatest cultural diversity of any 112 square miles in the United States.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:38 AM

988 posts, read 3,253,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandle View Post
I used to live on the uws as well in the low 70s and broadway and even though I loved that area. I also felt that a lot of the people were stuck up. I understand where you are coming from. I have 2 dogs and that was a way of bonding with the other dog owners (and there are tons) in that area. That was one of the reasons why I went back to Harlem. The vibe is so different here in Harlem. It has character in that there are people sitting on their chairs chatting, people are nice, aren't stuck up and actually say hi. During the winter time, the men will extend their hand while I'm hesitantly walking on a slick patch of ice. Not once did that happen when I lived on the uws. The attitudes of the people that live in those two areas are so different.

It's funny because on the uws it's mostly transplants and in my area of Harlem, it's mostly natives. It's the same thing with Brooklyn, I work there and the population that I see are mostly native NYers and they are so nice. Now don't get me wrong, the natives may be nice but they might be blunt and assertive at the same time. I think you should experience NYC living in another area.
Very true, most natives i've met and know(including my wife) are very down to earth and genuine people. The transplants are the more pretenious, fake ones. I'm a transplant myself but prefer the natives by far. Maybe I identify more because my old neighborhood in Chicago is pretty much all transplants now and treat the area natives like 2nd class citizens.

The OP can hunt, fish, etc just an hour away upstate. Also, the UWS in the 70s isn't the most friendly area. Maybe the OP can check out somewhere in midtown that's more his/her speed like Murray Hill, Gramercy, east 50s, etc. Even the East Village or Hoboken.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:42 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
That's why there are many different kinds of places for different kinds of people.

NYC isn't for me, either. I don't see anything wrong with there being a different culture.
What gets me is when they try to defend themselves - no, y'all really are rude. It's ok.
Ask anyone who works at any kind of call center...east coast callers are the meanest.

So no one is forcing you to live there, op. And you can absolutely find things to do outdoors - just go upstate or many of the beautiful spots in Maine, etc.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:53 AM

1,118 posts, read 2,286,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
That's why there are many different kinds of places for different kinds of people.

NYC isn't for me, either. I don't see anything wrong with there being a different culture.
What gets me is when they try to defend themselves - no, y'all really are rude. It's ok.
Ask anyone who works at any kind of call center...east coast callers are the meanest.

So no one is forcing you to live there, op. And you can absolutely find things to do outdoors - just go upstate or many of the beautiful spots in Maine, etc.
What others in the US perceive as meanness is being upfront, which honestly isn't mean. Go to the South and it's hidden resentment or judgement, for example. Or you can go to California where everyone passes off how tolerant they are but secretly aren't (having dealt with the Bay Area enough, that generalisation is pretty accurate). Being a native New Yorker probably predisposes me into preferring our way of interaction and bluntness, but I honestly can't see why others don't appreciate it.

Old 08-26-2012, 11:00 AM

2,871 posts, read 4,790,935 times
Quote:
Regular Folk not fitting into New York City
Define regular folk.

Old 08-26-2012, 11:53 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
If you like Westchester to live, it's not a very long commute if you stay in Lower Westchester. You can be 30 minutes or less to Grand Central, with a couple of minutes to get to the station, depending upon how close you live to the station. The other consideration with Westchester, however, is that it is very family-oriented outside of the downtown area of White Plains, but there are some great areas to consider. Don't judge another's commute experience because if you are returning to an area that recharges you, i.e., open spaces, you may not mind it at all.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-26-2012, 12:21 PM

75 posts, read 107,356 times
Default Regular Folk Definition

Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
Define regular folk.
I am the 1950s definition of the typical American. 4th Generation in the country, English as a first and only language, white, Northern European background, like hunting, fishing, camping, NASCAR, bowling and golfing. Low key, laid back, traditional values, religious and wholesome.

Unlike many NY'ers I am not rude, a con man, multi cultural, in your face, full of bravo or always trying to score a deal. I am regular folks!

Old 08-26-2012, 12:46 PM

555 posts, read 1,183,420 times
[quote=StaggerLee22;25810435]Man up punk!
Nobody forced you to come to NYC.
Don't like it???? Get to stepping then.
Unless your trapped due to the confines of having kids, your nuts for staying someplace you hate so much.

Not to sound mean, BUT....
Who cares about you and your tale of woe?
Nobody. Put NYC and all the people on top of one another and POOF ! you become yet another victim.
It's not for everybody. In fact, it's not for most.
And you proved that.

Goodbye.
Your apt will be rented out in 30 days and this city won't remember your name in 31 days.
That's just how it is.

k:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City