Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 11:08 AM

34,098 posts, read 47,309,800 times

Advertisements

This neighborhood must look absolutely beautiful when it's snowing

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 11:22 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,592,956 times
Nice pics. #62 makes me think "Transylvania" though.

Old 01-13-2013, 12:52 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,169,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photostoresheila View Post
I took a friend who recently moved to NYC a year ago (and lives on the UWS) through Forest Hills Gardens hoping to show her the beauty of the neighborhood and that there is more to NYC than Manhattan and as we were walking through she said, "This place is kinda cheesy." I said, "Really?" This is not the response I usually get when I do this "tour" so I was taken aback and didn't really press her on what she meant. She's crazy, right? Are there people that don't like Forest Hills Gardens?
Respectable opinion.

In some respects Forest Hills is a wannabe Suburban neighborhood. Too dense to be suburban yet lacking in some of the the urban amenities of TriBeCa or the Carnegie Hill for example. Not to mention it's subliminal attempt at exclusiveness in a city known for being a "melting pot".

Old 01-13-2013, 01:19 PM

681 posts, read 1,672,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
This neighborhood must look absolutely beautiful when it's snowing
It sure does!!!!!!

Anyways,

Thanks to the OP for the photos. It brought back many wonderful memories. I grew up in Forest Hills Gardens and have played, and biked thru every single block in the photos growing up.

I know the family that owns the house in photo #63. They own several nail salons on Austin Street, and I once tutored their son in grade school.

In photo #64, the house once was owned by a Philippino family. The mother was a doctor, and somehow the family made the news when the son killed his mother. Then stole her car and ran off with it.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
Respectable opinion.

In some respects Forest Hills is a wannabe Suburban neighborhood. Too dense to be suburban yet lacking in some of the the urban amenities of TriBeCa or the Carnegie Hill for example. Not to mention it's subliminal attempt at exclusiveness in a city known for being a "melting pot".
I agree....the neighborhood is exclusive to people based on income and economic status. Private houses here go for 1.7 -$6 million dollars.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:29 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,217,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
Not to mention it's subliminal attempt at exclusiveness in a city known for being a "melting pot".

What is your issue with this?

Old 01-13-2013, 01:32 PM

37,156 posts, read 39,430,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photostoresheila View Post
I took a friend who recently moved to NYC a year ago (and lives on the UWS) through Forest Hills Gardens hoping to show her the beauty of the neighborhood and that there is more to NYC than Manhattan and as we were walking through she said, "This place is kinda cheesy." I said, "Really?" This is not the response I usually get when I do this "tour" so I was taken aback and didn't really press her on what she meant. She's crazy, right? Are there people that don't like Forest Hills Gardens?
Well, there's your friend, so I guess the answer is yes. Other notable non-Manhattan parts of Brooklyn that are super quaint are Brooklyn Heights (my vote for most beautiful neighborhood in the city) and the area referred to as Victorian Flatbush.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:33 PM

37,156 posts, read 39,430,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Chad View Post
I agree....the neighborhood is exclusive to people based on income and economic status. Private houses here go for 1.7 -$6 million dollars.
Well, there are apartments in the area right? So there could still be a bit of a mix.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Well, there are apartments in the area right? So there could still be a bit of a mix.
Yes, there are, but the apartments here are nothing special to look at lol.....and look like any other apartment building in NYC

The houses in the Gardens are really beautiful. There are covenant restrictions in place on the houses in the Gardens so that the current owner cannot modify the appearance of the house without board approval. In other words if I lived in the house in photo #63, I wouldn't be allowed to paint it hot pink, or sky blue, or even change the design of the roof shingles without a confrontation from the community board and believe me I know it has happened to my buddy who owns a home in the Gardens when he tried to replace the railing on his property. One day he was out painting and the guy from the community board came up and asked him "what are you doing" etc etc.... the conversation was civil, but uncomfortable.

Last edited by Mr. Chad; 01-13-2013 at 01:53 PM..

Old 01-13-2013, 01:45 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,725,186 times
I love that neighborhood. My friend and I walked through it last summer-- it's a beautiful place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City