Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 03:12 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,084,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
Very true, there are also tons of Tudor style apartment buildings located across the Bronx. Bronx Park East/Pelham Parkway having one of the largest concentrations in the city. Did they ever designate that area a landmark district yet, I know it was in the talks? For the apartment buildings at least.
Seems like it is still in the works because they are nit picking over details of certain buildings as far as I know.Some landlords are fighting it too because they don't want their properties "designated."Stupid to not want that if you ask me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 03:17 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,169,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Really? If so, you should post photos, too!
An example of which:

Pelham Parkway Tudors/NY Times

BTW, that Fedders home is a CRIME!

I take it that Forest Hills is landmarked? What streets? Only Tudors? Which types of construction?

Old 01-13-2013, 03:17 PM

34,098 posts, read 47,316,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Seems like it is still in the works because they are nit picking over details of certain buildings as far as I know.Some landlords are fighting it too because they don't want their properties "designated."Stupid to not want that if you ask me.
Some people are against it because its more costly and time consuming to renovate the buildings, i.e. can only use certain window treatment or color of paint.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-13-2013, 03:36 PM

37,157 posts, read 39,441,390 times
Quote:
An example of which:

Pelham Parkway Tudors/NY Times

BTW, that Fedders home is a CRIME!

I take it that Forest Hills is landmarked? What streets? Only Tudors? Which types of construction?
When you said identical, I thought it was also in terms of larger SFHs and leafy, tree-lined roads and such instead of just Tudor-style buildings. Are there any neighborhoods in the Bronx that are a bit more identical? Agreed with you on the Fedders house there being a crime. Even some kind of odd modern construction would be better as a contrast, but that thing there just looks like a turd.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:08 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,868,687 times
Quote:
Didn't mean to offend but I tried to look at it from her point of view. I think Forest Hill is a nice neighborhood but a little too family oriented for my taste.

In fact that could explain the choice of "cheesy". Maybe the neighborhood screams family and affluence too much, not young and trendy.
Most families in FH live in the co-ops in the northern side of Queens Blvd. The residents who live in FHG are a minority who are trying to preserve/cling to a certain way of life dating back to the early 1900s when many parts of Queens were the homestead of the Long Island elite who owned or ran the agricultural properties in the east but traded the produce in Manhattan. That's the reason why you think it has a suburban feel, but the original intent wasn't supposed to be suburban at all (ie Levittown) since these developments pre-dated the era of suburban expansion.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:11 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,139,928 times
Quote:
Didn't mean to offend but I tried to look at it from her point of view. I think Forest Hill is a nice neighborhood but a little too family oriented for my taste.

In fact that could explain the choice of "cheesy". Maybe the neighborhood screams family and affluence too much, not young and trendy.

I also understand it's urbanity.

Exactly what I meant by subliminal exclusiveness. I have also noticed the open street fences on at least one of the primary thoroughfares, which I cannot currently recall.
Well, I get that it could be too family oriented for some, but I still can't understand why that element would make something "cheesy"? Strange choice of words if what she really meant "too family oriented."

Oh, wait. Did the woman who used the word "cheesy" see the McMansions in Forest Hills? Now those are cheesy.

My Blog: McMansions

Old 01-13-2013, 08:49 PM

371 posts, read 625,248 times
Henna, she did not see the McMansions in Forest Hills but it's funny that you mention that because that is in fact what I responded back to her when she described the gardens as "cheesy." Now if she saw those monstrosities I would totally be on board with her description. My friend is from Woodstock (I've never been so I have no idea how her hometown colors her experiences) and I suspect like some of you have said that it's a mix of UWS snobiness along with the 'not urban but not suburban' feel.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:16 PM

916 posts, read 2,247,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
Nice pics. #62 makes me think "Transylvania" though.
I thought pic #62 is kind creepy like insane asylum with dark torture chambers in the basement.
And pic #34 with the strange looking tree and shadowy wall have a feel of a haunted house too.
Yes...yes... probably just me reading too many crazy stories.

For the most part the other houses are beautiful and old in an elegant way. Thanks for all the
wonderful pics Nexis4Jersey. But I wonder if the Forest Hill Gardens people were freaking out
when you were in their neighborhood, because they might think of you as a burglar scouting
their houses and neighborhood.

Last edited by Jaydata; 01-13-2013 at 10:26 PM..

Old 01-14-2013, 12:37 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,861,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydata View Post
I thought pic #62 is kind creepy like insane asylum with dark torture chambers in the basement.
And pic #34 with the strange looking tree and shadowy wall have a feel of a haunted house too.
Yes...yes... probably just me reading too many crazy stories.

For the most part the other houses are beautiful and old in an elegant way. Thanks for all the
wonderful pics Nexis4Jersey. But I wonder if the Forest Hill Gardens people were freaking out
when you were in their neighborhood, because they might think of you as a burglar scouting
their houses and neighborhood.
I never had a problem usually people are surprised that someone has taken interest in there neighborhood. I always seem to find myself chatting it up with one of the locals...

Old 01-14-2013, 12:40 AM

4,840 posts, read 9,919,198 times
I love Forest Hill Gardens, but I've always been kinda scared to explore it on foot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City