Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 08:44 AM

1,494 posts, read 2,723,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Plenty of NYU, New School and out of town folks from white picket fenced suburbia want their drug fix. There is heavy drug usage by young people in the East Village.
There always was, but when the neighborhood cleaned up the drug dealing became very discreet so it was expected but unseen and there weren't piles of high/unconscious people to step over on the way to work. In the past the drug dealing was so terrible the streets were littered with empty crack vials. I remember there were sooo many of them walking to school I'd hear nothing but those crack vials crunching underfoot with every step. That changed in the 90's, the streets cleaned up. Now the dealers are becoming flagrant again and their customers are shooting up in my old stairwell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Now why on earth would the cops try to go after every drug transaction that takes place?
I'm not talking about a dealer going to a rich client's apartment to discreetly drop off some goods. I'm talking about the ones that stand out in front of your building openly dealing to passersbys and crusties who would knife you for your wallet. That kind of **** is making a comeback in the EV.

Quote:
Nevertheless, I recall when there were tents cities in Tompkins Square Park. I used to hang out in clubs where people openly snorted coke off the table. You don't have that kind of environment in the EV or WV these days. I know there's a type of person who always wants to say the present is much worse, but I have seen much worse in the village myself.
If you're referring to designer drugs and coke, which generally involves wealthier clientele, that element of the drug trader never left- it just got discreet.

Quote:
As for homeless, big deal, you see them pandhandling in midtown, in Chelsea, on the UES itself, etc. Wherever there are people with money you'll see homeless begging for cash. They are often on the subway as well, in all neighborhoods.
When there's a 500% increase of them over 5 years and they get violent when you don't give them the cash they beg for it *is* a big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
You must mean hipster types buying pills like Adderalls, Oxys, & Xanax. there is definately a double standard with this type of 'drug dealing' then the above which has been gone for about the past 15 years.
No I mean open dealing of crack on the street, or using the stairwell of my building as their personal office. I don't give a rats ass about richies getting private deliveries. I do give a **** about drug dealers selling crack and amphetamines openly in front of my building, or in my building where their customers decide they want to hang out after shooting up and take a dump in the lobby, then break into an apartment, rape the tenant and making off with her purse to fund the next hit.

Quote:
I don't know what part of the East Village or Lower East Side (with all the nouveau riche cafes ) popping you are talking about regarding the above. Gentrificiation has been continuing in full force in the current state in that area since the mid 1990s...
14th street between 1st and 3rd.

Quote:
And by the projects by Avenue D, there is always a huge police presence.. you can't have the wrong element venturing to trendy parts of the east village (1st avenue west)
Well it's happening, I don't know what to tell ya.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 09:24 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,044,371 times
Right now the college students/hipsters/transplants like pills..opiates...benzos..or stimulants. Right now one 30mg Oxycontin pill goes for $20 on the street and someone with tolerance can pop 4-5 of these at a time. That's $80-$100 right there. These suburbian kids have been getting into their parents stash for years and think nothing of it until they got a gorilla sized habit. I've got patients on pain management who receive up to 240 percocets a month or they get large amounts of oxycontin...they are selling these pills on the street. Once the kids can't afford the pills they are moving onto heroin and diverted methadone. Most of the black and brown kids from the "hood" are into weed. It's very rare for me to see a black or brown person under 30 with opiate and benzo addiction. Most of the young patients
hooked on opiates and benzos are white and they came here from the burbs.

14th street between 1st and 3rd is a nightmare on the weekends. Walk around the neighborhood after 12am and you will see many people laid out right on the sidewalk or wandering around high as a kite.

I've had to step over piles of human sh*t, thinking to myself...this is supposed to be better than the Bronx?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonost View Post

No I mean open dealing of crack on the street, or using the stairwell of my building as their personal office. I don't give a rats ass about richies getting private deliveries. I do give a **** about drug dealers selling crack and amphetamines openly in front of my building, or in my building where their customers decide they want to hang out after shooting up and take a dump in the lobby, then break into an apartment, rape the tenant and making off with her purse to fund the next hit.

Last edited by Jasper03; 04-29-2013 at 09:57 AM..

Old 04-29-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post

14th street between 1st and 3rd is a nightmare on the weekends. Walk around the neighborhood after 12am and you will see many people laid out right on the sidewalk or wandering around high as a kite.

I've had to step over piles of human sh*t, thinking to myself...this is supposed to be better than the Bronx?
Let's just say I wasn't sorry to move from that area

The super of my building wasn't too happy with cleaning up piles of human excrement left in the vestibule by a small army of miscreants high on god-knows-what. Its happening more often, and those NYU dip****s who live in my buidling haven't learned the golden rule of intercoms: don't let people in when they buzz you unless you've verified that it's someone who you are expecting. As a result they're letting drug dealers and crusties looking for a warm place to get high into the building. It hasn't been pretty, and I get pissed when I'm paying over 7% in city income tax and the cops can't be bothered to show up when I inform them there's a crack dealer in my lobby and two high bums foaming at the mouth peeking into people's apartments from the fire escape.

One of my neighbors on a different floor would use the building rooftop as their person terrace, we warned them not to hang out on the roof at night because there's some **** going down at night. "Whhaaat? You mean.. THERE'S CRIME??!?!?!?!?!?!!?" one of them remarked with a "does not compute" look on his face. Now my fellow NYers, can you hear the sound of me smacking my forehead?

Old 04-29-2013, 10:31 AM

3,244 posts, read 5,243,812 times
Quote:
I get pissed when I'm paying over 7% in city income tax and the cops can't be bothered to show up when I inform them there's a crack dealer in my lobby and two high bums foaming at the mouth peeking into people's apartments from the fire escape. ... can you hear the sound of me smacking my forehead?
I'll smack it for you!
http://manhattanda.org/press-release...-delivery-serv
NYPD Busts MASSIVE Drug Ring In LES, East Village - Silobreaker
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...p_ref=new-york
http://evgrieve.com/2013/04/report-b...th-street.html

Unfortunately, this lengthy & complex investigation will not reduce either the desire of local residents to obtain and use illicit drugs, or the willingness of urban entrepeneurs to step up & assume the role of suppliers.

Last edited by bigjake54; 04-29-2013 at 10:41 AM..

Old 04-29-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
You'd think with there being an investigation and busts going on the cops would show up when I call them about drug dealing and other suspicious activity. The sellers might possibly be local, but the ones who shoot up in my stairwell aren't.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:01 AM

235 posts, read 374,157 times
Junkies of Union Square...

UNION SQUARE Documentary Dir Stephen Szklarski - YouTube

Old 04-29-2013, 12:14 PM

38 posts, read 63,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Grand Larceny up in the Financial District? Very appropriate if you ask me.
Couldn't have said it any better my friend.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:23 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,990,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
Right now the college students/hipsters/transplants like pills..opiates...benzos..or stimulants. Right now one 30mg Oxycontin pill goes for $20 on the street and someone with tolerance can pop 4-5 of these at a time. That's $80-$100 right there. These suburbian kids have been getting into their parents stash for years and think nothing of it until they got a gorilla sized habit. I've got patients on pain management who receive up to 240 percocets a month or they get large amounts of oxycontin...they are selling these pills on the street. Once the kids can't afford the pills they are moving onto heroin and diverted methadone. Most of the black and brown kids from the "hood" are into weed. It's very rare for me to see a black or brown person under 30 with opiate and benzo addiction. Most of the young patients
hooked on opiates and benzos are white and they came here from the burbs.

Oh, come on. There are a lot of clubs in the area. So yes, you will see high and drunk people in an area where people go to for that kind of stuff. That's any trendy part of Manhattan really. You guys sound like a bunch of cranky old people, LOL

Old 04-29-2013, 01:26 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,990,209 times
Quote:

And have you spoken to your building's management company about this? If they were also calling the cops, that would have an impact as well. A lot of landlords have security cameras in the building, and of course new buildings have doormen. It sounds like you're living in a dump.

Old 04-29-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:
And have you spoken to your building's management company about this? If they were also calling the cops, that would have an impact as well. A lot of landlords have security cameras in the building, and of course new buildings have doormen. It sounds like you're living in a dump.
Sounds like you don't know what constitutes a dump, especially in the EV. One can live in a nice building and have problems with neighborhood crime, desirable neighborhoods are no exception. Almost all of the buildings in the EV are old walkups from the 1920-1930's, residential buildings over 6 stories high with elevators is very rare. Mine is actually very well maintained compared to the others. The reason why my apartment management doesn't give a **** (and yes I've called them numerous times) about the dealers and junkies who invade the building is that half of the tenants in the building are rent-stabilized. The junkies harass the tenants for free, if you know what I'm getting at. They don't care about those paying market rate unless you lawyer up. Sadly the super is the one stuck with patching up any damage or "extreme graffiti".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City