Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 03:04 PM

9 posts, read 56,564 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I am starting this thread in regards to nyc san. police. I am very interested in becoming a sancop, but there a few questions that I would like to be answered. I would appreciate if there are any current nyc san. police officers on this forum/thread that can assist me on my questions. Thank you everyone and be safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 10:18 PM

??

Old 04-15-2013, 10:43 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,557,967 times
didn't even know that was a title, well as with any job search, you start by going to the source. Go to the NYPD website.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you must participate in the police academy training program before you can select your occupation.

Old 04-15-2013, 10:49 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,731,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilksFavoriteCookie View Post
didn't even know that was a title, well as with any job search, you start by going to the source. Go to the NYPD website.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you must participate in the police academy training program before you can select your occupation.

It's not through the NYPD website. I took the test for this job back probably about 8 years ago. You have to take the test for it. Go to the NYC.gov website and see what tests they're having and when. The tests for each job are not always available.

I forget what the fee was but the test was relatively easy. I scored a 98. I never ended up taking the job, though, when they sent me the post card to come in. I think the pay broke down to something like $12/hour.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:51 AM

the only test you take is the sanitation worker exam, and as far as i know you get appointed in house to the san. police academy to become a cop. however there is other info i would like to know but canjot find on the internet. Btw, they are not a part of the nypd.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:50 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,557,967 times
so what does a sanitation policeman do?

Old 04-16-2013, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilksFavoriteCookie View Post
so what does a sanitation policeman do?
Well, from the info I gathered, they patrol the 5 boros, in both plainclothes and uniform enforcing the citys waste and recycling laws as well as the health codes and environmental laws. Since they are Nys peace officers, I am sure they can enforce the criminal laws and violations too. I am unsure if they enforce the vehicle traffic laws, etc.. Their duty equipment consist of a firearm, magazines (ammo), oc spray, asp baton, handcuffs, radio, and whatever else a basic duty rig would consist of. Like I said, this is from info I gathered, however I could be wrong. This is why I am eager to speak to an active sancop because I would like to get the correct info and have some questions answered.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:35 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,816,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandl0709 View Post
Hello everyone, I am starting this thread in regards to nyc san. police. I am very interested in becoming a sancop, but there a few questions that I would like to be answered. I would appreciate if there are any current nyc san. police officers on this forum/thread that can assist me on my questions. Thank you everyone and be safe.

Before you can become a Sanitation Cop, you MUST first be a Garbage Man!

Quote:
...DSNY Police force is made up of sanitation personnel who are specially chosen from a list of Department employed applicants to undertake specialized law enforcement duties.....
ht http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_City_Department_of_Sanitation_Police

Out of approximately 7800 DSNY there are approximately 130 officers.

So, ahhh, your focus s/b on being the best damn Sanitation Worker you can be, making political connectsions witin the department, and perhaps one day you *might* be chosen.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
Before you can become a Sanitation Cop, you MUST first be a Garbage Man!

ht http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_City_Department_of_Sanitation_Police

Out of approximately 7800 DSNY there are approximately 130 officers.

So, ahhh, your focus s/b on being the best damn Sanitation Worker you can be, making political connectsions witin the department, and perhaps one day you *might* be chosen.
Thank you for the reply. The ratio between sancops and sanmen are astounding. I understand what you are saying about being the best worker, etc.. would you happen to know how long the usual waiting time period is to become a sancop? Also would prior law enforcement experience possibly get someone on the unit faster??

Old 04-16-2013, 05:09 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,816,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandl0709 View Post
Thank you for the reply. The ratio between sancops and sanmen are astounding. I understand what you are saying about being the best worker, etc.. would you happen to know how long the usual waiting time period is to become a sancop? Also would prior law enforcement experience possibly get someone on the unit faster??
I gotta ask, what do you typically think they do?

Nowadays, I guess they roll around in police looking vehicles, but despite whatever technical powers they have, they are NOT cops!

Typically, they roll around ticketing people for not separating their cans, bottles and other recycling from the normal trash! That's the job! On some odd occasions you might be assigned to bag some pollutor (sp?) Dumping crap in the river or something.

Anyway, I don't work for Sanitation, but I know how city agencies work. You could spend your entire lifetime with the ambition to be a sanitation cop, and NEVER be chosen! That is how long. Those are plum positions going to those who are CONNECTED!

NYC agencies are not eaxctly known to be meritocracies! Btw, no law enforcement experience won't help.

Apparently, you have no family or friends in the department, correct? That is a disadvantage. I suggest you go find a sanitation garage and go talk up some of the guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City