Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2013, 04:34 PM

141 posts, read 185,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
Are you a parent?
no.

Quote:
How do you manage without a car and what are some of the things you do with your family?
is presenting a possible situation permissible here? if not I will have to get back to you once I become a parent (again, with no car), if you are that interested in my answer to your last question..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 04:35 PM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitdiesel View Post
hatred of cars is not restricted to this site. if it is, you might as well this of this site as a microcosm of the real world..I certainly do, for other reasons.
What you wrote doesn't make sense.

Only on urban fanboy sites like City-Data do people hate cars. In the "real world," people love them, which is why so many people own them.

Old 05-28-2013, 04:40 PM

589 posts, read 1,220,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
Look,

I understand some of you have unique situations.

I am not advocating that EVERYONE dumps their car, I never said that. I am advocating that most people do not need one and even less require one to commute...

I would like to see automobile ownership half itself here. Almost half the households in NYC own a private auto, however there is great disparity. SI and East Queens have much higher rates then the rest of the city. If they weren't included, the city average would be about 35%. However, I would really like to target car owners in sub 25% neighborhoods. Typically, those areas are rich in transit,

The statistics show that most New Yorkers travel relatively short distances (Proven fact, most people are NOT traveling between Central Queens and the North Bronx). That is an uncommon trip in NYC. Most New Yorkers are healthy enough to be physically mobile. Most New Yorkers should walk more or find alternate means of getting around (like bikes).

BTW, cars are not the fastest way around town as previously stated. You do realize you have to park right (and how about traffic)? Considering most trips are under 3 miles (Citywide), the fastest transit mode is typically bicycles followed often by subways. Cars can be faster for certain trips, but considering most New Yorkers live in the inner city and frequently travel between areas like (examples) the Upper East Side/Harlem and Midtown or Brooklyn Heights/Fort Greene and Downtown, it wouldn't male sense to drive for those more common trips,

As for families, there are tons of car free families in this city that get by just fine.

My point. Not everyone requires a car. Most people don't. Anyway, automobile use will continue to be discouraged. Get used to it, the 50s are long gone. That disastrous era is never coming back.
Pretty sure I can get anywhere in the 5 boroughs driving a car faster than you can using a bus/subway/bicycle. Parking is irrelevant since its illegal for bicyclists to chain their bike to random poles around the city. You would have the same problem unless of course you want to go into specifics of bringing your bicycle into whatever destination or hoping for a bike rack. Then the counter argument would be I can just put it in a garage.

Old 05-28-2013, 04:45 PM

2,134 posts, read 3,041,670 times
Well since you aren't why hasn't it crossed your mind that you may not know what you're talking about?

Has it crossed your mind that people with families might not be interested in headed toward the
"urban core" for their R&R? Has it crossed your mind that if you work in the city 5 days a week that you may be interested in going the total opposite direction from Manhattan?

Public transportation is NYC is convenient for those heading to or living Manhattan. If you live in an outer borough and want to go to another outer borough...NJ...CT...Westchester it's a pain in the a&&. It's manageable if you're one adults or two adults but put kids in the mix and it's long sucky day and you are limited to 1 or 2 destinations.

I know people without cars in my neighborhood and yes they are very limited.
Quote:
not necessary even if one lacks a car.

incorrect. limited, yes. very limited or significantly limited, no.

wait a minute, what happened to making trips for things other than work?
Quote:
no.

is presenting a possible situation permissible here? if not I will have to get back to you once I become a parent (again, with no car), if you are that interested in my answer to your last question..

Old 05-28-2013, 04:45 PM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Blah, blah, blah, let them have it. This city sucks now anyway. It's a constant merry go round of people who know better than us trying to shove one new pet project down our throats after another. And the best part is that most of them aren't even from here.

I can't wait to flee to real America, the place all of these idiots are migrating here from. Come to think of it, if the trend contnues, maybe real America will only get that much better...

Old 05-28-2013, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
What you wrote doesn't make sense.

Only on urban fanboy sites like City-Data do people hate cars. In the "real world," people love them, which is why so many people own them.
how does it not make sense? your second line makes it seem like city-data is the only place where one can find anti-car opinions and one will find absolutely nothing but pro-car opinions elsewhere, when conducting conversations in person. this is wrong, and I am not the only one who has expressed anti-car opinions while speaking to others in person. and I am not the first or the last.

it would be a pity if I were..

Last edited by detroitdiesel; 05-28-2013 at 05:03 PM.. Reason: this was a response to bajan yankee

Old 05-28-2013, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Well since you aren't why hasn't it crossed your mind that you may not know what you're talking about?
I need to try and fail in order for it to be confirmed that I do not know what I am talking about..and I will not fail. I have thought about parenting a great deal, so this attitude should not be construed as one that I apply to every situation I come across. I have actually thought this stuff over.

it may not be right for me to say I will not fail since parenting is not something for which one can be 100% prepared; I should say I am determined not to fail.

Quote:
Has it crossed your mind that people with families might not be interested in headed toward the "urban core" for their R&R? Has it crossed your mind that if you work in the city 5 days a week that you may be interested in going the total opposite direction from Manhattan?
yes.

Quote:
If you live in an outer borough and want to go to another outer borough...NJ...CT...Westchester it's a pain in the a&&.
it can be.

Quote:
It's manageable if you're one adults or two adults but put kids in the mix and it's long sucky day and you are limited to 1 or 2 destinations.
when I was younger we always went to only 1 or 2 destinations in a day (usually 1) with a car. it was always leave in the late morning or early afternoon, spend several hours at the destination in question, and then return home in the night.

Quote:
I know people without cars in my neighborhood and yes they are very limited.
well that is your neighborhood.

yes, assuming both parents go, it is possible to go from at least some places other than Manhattan or quasi-Manhattan to places other than the urban core with 2 kids (not sure about 3, probably not more), no car, and not much hassle.

Last edited by detroitdiesel; 05-28-2013 at 05:10 PM.. Reason: comment on thoughts about parenting, last lines about hassles

Old 05-28-2013, 05:12 PM

2,134 posts, read 3,041,670 times
There is nothing wrong with looking for solutions to the problem.

It's just that you assume that what would work for you (hypothetically of course since you have no experience) will work for others.

Those of us based in the day-to-day reality are telling you different but no you know more than we do.

It's not always possible for two working parents to match schedules...sometimes you have to take the kids somewhere on your own.

Yes, you are also correct in stating "that is your neighborhood" There are many different neighborhoods in NYC and you want a blanket solution for everyone based on what goes on in your neighborhood.

P.S Airborne guy: I'm not going anywhere and I'm not giving up my car. Lol.

Quote:
I need to try and fail in order for it to be confirmed that I do not know what I am talking about..and I will not fail. I have thought about parenting a great deal, so this attitude should not be construed as one that I apply to every situation I come across. I have actually thought this stuff over.

it may not be right for me to say I will not fail since parenting is not something for which one can be 100% prepared; I should say I am determined not to fail.

yes.

it can be.

when I was younger we always went to only 1 or 2 destinations in a day (usually 1) with a car. it was always leave in the late morning or early afternoon, spend several hours at the destination in question, and then return home in the night.

well that is your neighborhood.

yes, assuming both parents go, it is possible to go from at least some places other than Manhattan or quasi-Manhattan to many places other than the urban core with 2 kids (not sure about 3, probably not more), no car, and not much hassle.

Old 05-28-2013, 05:18 PM

from what I remember I did not assume or claim that it would work for others in any post I made in this thread. I merely think it can and hope it does work for others.

I am going to look back at my posts in this thread and if I find anything in which I assumed that what would work for me (hypothetically of course since I have no experience) would work for others, I will get back to you.

also from what I remember I never said I wanted a blanket solution for everyone based on what goes on in my neighborhood.

I will also look back at my posts in this thread and if I find anything in which I said I wanted a blanket solution for everyone based on what goes on in my neighborhood, I will get back to you.

the part about two working parents matching schedules is a whole other topic with its own particulars.

Last edited by detroitdiesel; 05-28-2013 at 05:23 PM.. Reason: responses to jasper's edits

Old 05-28-2013, 05:29 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,167,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cee4 View Post
Pretty sure I can get anywhere in the 5 boroughs driving a car faster than you can using a bus/subway/bicycle. Parking is irrelevant since its illegal for bicyclists to chain their bike to random poles around the city. You would have the same problem unless of course you want to go into specifics of bringing your bicycle into whatever destination or hoping for a bike rack. Then the counter argument would be I can just put it in a garage.
Really. Door to door? Again... considering most people live in or around the core, and most trips are local (neighborhood) or Manhattan bound I disagree. I have virtually everything I need (except designer retail and saturation of nightlife) within walking distance and I just moved to the East Bronx (temporarily). I have no problem jumping on the subway to shop for clothing on E 86th St, 5th Ave, or in SoHo. For everything else I walk or bike. I can bike to the barbershop, pharmacy, cleaners, doctors office, bodegas, supermarkets, cheap retail shops within 2-5 minutes ride or 10-15 minute walk max. If I drove to work not only would I arrive at roughly the same time as the subway, but I would have to pay for parking. I prefer to bike because of the health benefits, the fresh air, $$$, and the pleasant commute (views). I previously lived in Midtown, and before that Bronx Park East in the East Bronx.

Again, most automobile trips in NYC are under 3 miles. Most people live within 5 miles of their jobs...

It's only illegal to secure your bicycle to subway/bus stops and trees. Everything else is fair game.

Most New Yorkers do not need to own a car. And again, I emphasize some people may have special circumstances, but it's not 45% of the population. I personally want it to become harder to own a car anywhere in Manhattan and transit rich neighborhoods. Fortunately, it is. Why does it matter to me? Over 15,000 pedestrians and cyclist were injured by autos last year. That doesn't even count respiratory problems attributed and the tax burden for auto infrastructure.

Last edited by nykiddo718718; 05-28-2013 at 05:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City