Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2013, 09:16 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
The MTA and many a driver. The organization isn't run efficiently at all. There is massive waste and under-performance. I don't think that's a revelation though.

The "why" would take too long of a reply. If you want better service start with the MTA.
Actually, start with Albany and City Hall. It would take a massive investment of funds to make bus and train service available in undeserved areas. However, that would entail big increases in taxes, and politically that DOA (dead on arrival).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 09:20 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,355,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Actually, start with Albany and City Hall. It would take a massive investment of funds to make bus and train service available in undeserved areas. However, that would entail big increases in taxes, and politically that DOA (dead on arrival).
With all the money the MTA wastes and overspends every year on over-inflated salaries, pensions, and service/ construction contracts, whatever you want could be built without any tax increases.

The MTA is spending about $1.3bn on pensions alone this year and pension costs are climbing.

The MTA spends close to $600MM on overtime last year with an already bloated workforce.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:26 PM

141 posts, read 185,521 times
actually it seems to me like a body can start anywhere and that one place is as good to start as the other.

I know MTA has its problems, but check out all the traffic the B41, B44, and B46 deal with on a daily basis and try telling me that these lines would run better if MTA were more efficient (during the day, not during overnight hours). these lines are affected much more by traffic and double parking (for which private vehicles are always directly or indirectly responsible) than MTA issues.

to what extent do you believe that change starts with you? I am not saying you, in particular, or any other car-dependent persons should totally change your lifestyles so that you all can be car-independent, as that would undoubtedly be a catastrophe. but I am almost always car-independent at the moment and will do everything in my power to always be car-independent. I do not govern others' actions, but it would definitely help the majority if those who have the ability to do the same (never be car-dependent or break out of car-dependence) did the same.

I say almost always only because the car is used to shop at Costco at the moment and I use stuff that gets purchased there. I seldom drive it though. only when asked to do so. which is less than 10 times a year for no more than about a half hour each time. but anyway..

Old 05-26-2013, 09:30 PM

I think action needs to be taken; I do what I can to take action (avoid using cars).

since you say action needs to be taken by petitioning the government, would you be willing to band together to do that? I would like to know more and possibly join in on this.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:34 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,355,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitdiesel View Post
actually it seems to me like a body can start anywhere and that one place is as good to start as the other.

I know MTA has its problems, but check out all the traffic the B41, B44, and B46 deal with on a daily basis and try telling me that these lines would run better if MTA were more efficient (during the day, not during overnight hours). these lines are affected much more by traffic and double parking (for which private vehicles are always directly or indirectly responsible) than MTA issues.

to what extent do you believe that change starts with you? I am not saying you, in particular, or any other car-dependent persons should totally change your lifestyles so that you all can be car-independent, as that would undoubtedly be a catastrophe. but I am almost always car-independent at the moment and will do everything in my power to always be car-independent. I do not govern others' actions, but it would definitely help the majority if those who have the ability to do the same (never be car-dependent or break out of car-dependence) did the same.

I say almost always only because the car is used to shop at Costco at the moment and I use stuff that gets purchased there. I seldom drive it though. only when asked to do so. which is less than 10 times a year for no more than about a half hour each time. but anyway..
Barring legislation that sets specific criteria for the right to own a car, how many cars do you think you can get off the streets with your nonsense? 5%? 10%?

Only about ~45% of NYC households own a car. How much more can you squeeze out of that?

Go to your beloved MTA and demand that they eliminate most of the waste and use that money to improve pub. transportation infrastructure.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:38 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
A lot cheaper to live in the outskirts of NYC and have a car than to live by grand central, union square, Penn station, etc...or wherever else has the highest percentage of car independent residents.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:47 PM

replies in bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
You need a car if you want better groceries for less.

not necessarily. you, in particular, might. not everybody does. a married person who has 1 or 2 kids, has no problem walking, and lives in Flatbush or Midwood (within a half mile of a train station) does not need a car to shop at the Costco in Sunset Park by him/herself, for example.

I'm not going to waste my time with Zip Car. We use our car more than enough to justify the minimal cost (our apartment is $2000, so you figure that out $325 car payment plus roughly $100 in insurance plus gas is insignificant compared to that and when you consider the importance of transportation). I'm not paying for 4 people on Amtrak and then having to deal with local transport to/from the train station and then getting around after that. Are you crazy?

do you know if it costs more money per year to own a car or to buy a monthly metrocard 12 times a year (currently $1344) and pay for Amtrak tickets for 4 people each time Amtrak would have to be used (the number of times you travel to other parts of the country)? I only want to know about costs and absolutely nothing else here.

And Amtrak doesn't go to half the places we want to go. Like central connecticut, Metro North just hugs the coast. Forget that. Owning a car is the way the go as long as you have a place to park. We have plenty of street parking for free, and if you can afford it $300-$400/month for a parking garage is a pretty good option.

how politically possible would it be to eliminate some of that free street parking on commercial streets in NYC during the day? you know, the ones where buses run and vehicles double park with nothing being done about it. forget about enforcement; that is not a solution, especially if the double parking is being done by commercial vehicles.

Last edited by detroitdiesel; 05-26-2013 at 09:50 PM.. Reason: 1344, not 1144 a year for a monthly metrocard

Old 05-26-2013, 09:54 PM

replies in bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Barring legislation that sets specific criteria for the right to own a car, how many cars do you think you can get off the streets with your nonsense? 5%? 10%?

what nonsense? if I am not writing people's opinions off as nonsense, why are you writing mine off as nonsense?

Go to your beloved MTA and demand that they eliminate most of the waste and use that money to improve pub. transportation infrastructure.

sure. you ready to join me in doing that? I cannot do it myself.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
A lot cheaper to live in the outskirts of NYC and have a car than to live by grand central, union square, Penn station, etc...or wherever else has the highest percentage of car independent residents.
Probably still cheaper or costs the same and is practical to live in a safe place in NYC that is not Manhattan or LIC or Downtown BK or Park Slope and not own a car than to live in the outskirts of NYC and own a car.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:59 PM

wawa you never stated whether fixing MTA issues would do anything about the traffic issues that frequent lines like the B41, B44, and B46 deal with every day..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City