U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-31-2013, 12:33 PM
 
121 posts, read 117,374 times
Reputation: 51

Advertisements

And here's an idea: Instead of begging whites, Arabs and Asians to see you as a non criminal, why not just start your own cab services throughout the city? Doing so will ensure that you do not have to worry about this issue.

I guess it's just easier to depend on others...

 
Old 07-31-2013, 12:58 PM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 48,484,664 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Dressing up as a hoodlum of any race is a cause for concern for taxi and livery cab drivers. I can never forget the time I was trying to hail a cab during a very cold night and I was wearing a Mcmurdo Northface coat. No Taxi or cabbi stopped for me. I had one of those mentos breathments moment where I decided to take off my coat and put it towards the curb of the sidewalk and hailed for a taxi again, and an South Asian driver stopped. If I continued wearing that Northface coat no one would have picked me up.



I remember a couple of years back near LES and a white couple got turned down by 3 cabbies, they were trying to go to Williamsburg but the Taxi drivers told these out of towners that they don't go to Brooklyn!

A northfadce coat is not a coat for a grown man so I can see why you wasn't picked up
 
Old 07-31-2013, 01:01 PM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 48,484,664 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherish643 View Post
Cry me a river. The reality is many black men discriminate against black women on a daily basis due to skin color. Colorism is very big amongst black guys who will openly admit that they prefer biracial, white and Hispanic women.

It's so strange however, that the very same people who discriminate against their own women, are so vocal, when they perceive that they are being discriminated against by whites, Asians, Arabs and Hispanics.

I'm one of those blacks guys but I can't control what turns me on. My own life light skin or hispanic women seemed to turn me on the most
 
Old 07-31-2013, 01:02 PM
 
Location: Round Rock, Texas
10,129 posts, read 9,352,192 times
Reputation: 13205
FWIW, years ago I had dated a guy from St. Croix. He was dark-skinned. After a night of clubbing, he attempted to hail a cab for us. No cabbie stopped for him. He was very much into his appearance and always dressed well. That night he wore his business suit because we had hung out after work. Didn't matter. I didn't really pay much attention to the situation (could be the drinks, lol) until he suddenly asked me to hail a cab. I asked him why and he said, "Just do it. I want to see something". Within a minute, a cab stopped and picked us up. Suffice to say, he was in a pretty foul mood for the remainder of the evening.

the experience stands out in my mind because I never really gave it much thought before that point. I was never a cab person, but when i did use them, I didn't really have much trouble. I guess because I was a young woman, slim and didn't appear threatening. Could my mixed ancestry have something to do with it? I don't know. But that moment really helped me to understand things.
 
Old 07-31-2013, 01:06 PM
 
121 posts, read 117,374 times
Reputation: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
I'm one of those blacks guys but I can't control what turns me on. My own life light skin or hispanic women seemed to turn me on the most
And that's fine, but you should understand that just as you prefer to date biracial or Hispanic women, the cab drivers prefer not to deal with black men. The interesting thing is, in your case, you simply prefer the skin color, but the cab drivers do not want to deal with black guys due to the history of violence and robberies. I can't really blame the cab drivers because, if they pick up the wrong person, that could very well cost them their life.

For this reason, most of them prefer to conduct much of their business in Manhattan (more specifically in the white areas of Manhattan), where crime is less frequent.
Why do you have a problem with this? No one is stopping black males from starting their own cab service.
 
Old 07-31-2013, 01:12 PM
 
121 posts, read 117,374 times
Reputation: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
FWIW, years ago I had dated a guy from St. Croix. He was dark-skinned. After a night of clubbing, he attempted to hail a cab for us. No cabbie stopped for him. He was very much into his appearance and always dressed well. That night he wore his business suit because we had hung out after work. Didn't matter. I didn't really pay much attention to the situation (could be the drinks, lol) until he suddenly asked me to hail a cab. I asked him why and he said, "Just do it. I want to see something". Within a minute, a cab stopped and picked us up. Suffice to say, he was in a pretty foul mood for the remainder of the evening.

the experience stands out in my mind because I never really gave it much thought before that point. I was never a cab person, but when i did use them, I didn't really have much trouble. I guess because I was a young woman, slim and didn't appear threatening. Could my mixed ancestry have something to do with it? I don't know. But that moment really helped me to understand things.
It has nothing to do with skin color and everything to do with many cab drivers fearing that they will be robbed and attacked, by black males. I lived in Manhattan for a number of years and on the rare occasion that I needed to hail a cab, I didn't have a problem getting one (and I'm a dark black chick).

I did have to file a sexual harassment report on two separate occasions against two Indian cab drivers who were asking questions that were lewd and inappropriate while driving me home, but besides from those rare situations, I never had any issues with cabbies.
 
Old 07-31-2013, 02:24 PM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 48,484,664 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherish643 View Post
And that's fine, but you should understand that just as you prefer to date biracial or Hispanic women, the cab drivers prefer not to deal with black men. The interesting thing is, in your case, you simply prefer the skin color, but the cab drivers do not want to deal with black guys due to the history of violence and robberies. I can't really blame the cab drivers because, if they pick up the wrong person, that could very well cost them their life.

For this reason, most of them prefer to conduct much of their business in Manhattan (more specifically in the white areas of Manhattan), where crime is less frequent.
Why do you have a problem with this? No one is stopping black males from starting their own cab service.

Cabs stop for me because I am a black dude who has a obvious destintation and not dressed like a hoodlum
 
Old 07-31-2013, 02:28 PM
 
6,963 posts, read 5,461,234 times
Reputation: 3448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
Neither. I'm White. I'm just shocked because you made it seem as if you were so successful. I couldn't imagine someone as successful as yourself not being to hail a cab. Maybe I was wrong after all.



HA! Is that right? Well I guess some people need to go back to the drawing board.

Well think about it. We have a hard time getting ahead due to the government enacting laws to hold us down. Quotas and the like. It seems as if Blacks have a hard time with some things due to actions by their own people. Look at what G-Dale said. He said a relative of his was attacked by a Black man while driving a cab and that he probably profiled Blacks afterwards. Maybe the other Black had some impact on you not being able to catch a cab because they immediately see a dark skinned Black or "medium tone" as you wrote (not sure what that is exactly) as trouble.

So given that you are white why are you telling me what I as a black man occassionally must endure?

Start telling me about which quotas are holding white men down and why is it that over 80% of the decision makers in NYC are white meb, even though they account for only 15% of the population? If you cant make the cut, blame yourself and not non whites or women. As a white man you enjoy many privileges and a much easier life than a non white male, or a female, with your qualifications and experience and personality and goals.

The taxi driver so stupid to profile a well dressed black man will soon find himself answering to the Taxi & Limousine Commission. He is invited to profile 100% of a population because of what 5% might be up to.


And indeed I maintain that taxi drivers are not stupid and can guess who is likely to rob them. They use this as an excuse for profiling, but the real truth is that the feel that blacks do not live in Mid Town and so they might be stuck driving some long distance and then facing an empty ride back to Mid/lower Manhattan. So they drive past people who they know will not rob them, if an alternate passenger is available.

Last edited by caribny; 07-31-2013 at 02:36 PM..
 
Old 07-31-2013, 02:34 PM
 
6,963 posts, read 5,461,234 times
Reputation: 3448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherish643 View Post
And here's an idea: Instead of begging whites, Arabs and Asians to see you as a non criminal, why not just start your own cab services throughout the city? Doing so will ensure that you do not have to worry about this issue.

I guess it's just easier to depend on others...

And then why dont we establish our own country and refuse to pay the IRS......I mean this is what you are saying?
 
Old 07-31-2013, 03:15 PM
 
121 posts, read 117,374 times
Reputation: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
And then why dont we establish our own country and refuse to pay the IRS......I mean this is what you are saying?
No, I am saying that you, as a black man are free to start your own cab service which hires black drivers and caters to black people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top