Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 01:11 AM

1,739 posts, read 2,566,942 times

Advertisements

No one is saying New York couldn't have serious problems in the future. But I agree, they will never be on the same level of Detroit. I urge anyone brave and thrillseeking with the means to take a trip to Detroit (not joking). Most of it is a beautiful, postapocalyptic deserted wasteland that is so dangerous it is almost like a cheap thrill ride just to drive a car through it. If you know where you are going, there are so many hidden pockets of brilliance (some safe, some not so much). Some of the most inventive, amazing food and interesting people around. Urban pioneers starting small, organic farms. The best barbeque ribs, chicken, hot wings and mac n' cheese anywhere in the country. A music scene that is known for turning out some of the best artists the world has ever known. Abandoned, decaying architecture that is depressingly gorgeous and intensely horrifying all at once. In small doses it's almost downright enjoyable. Definitely not for your typical Disney crowd lol but I believe as a tourist destination it's underrated.

Last edited by EastBoundandDownChick; 07-23-2013 at 01:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 01:21 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,963,202 times
I understand that Detroit has a very different set of problems, and that NYC presently is nowhere close to heading off that kind of cliff. Detroit should really be compared to other rust belt clties like Buffalo, NY. It has little in common with NYC.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:13 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Wrong, wrong, wrong. It had to do with efficiency of the car. I like the way and look of American cars. Problem is that national automakers cars suck to much gas per gallon. Another problem for todays automakers is appealing to the hipster/yuppie yoga, apple iphone holding, college degree waving, organic granola eating, back to the city dweller who comes from the suburbs. GMC is having a tough time to appeal to the millennial crowd especially since drive license rates have declined in recent years. If GMC fails to attract new customers they will be in trouble again. If you notice some commercials these days, even auto commericals they will play some sort of hipster tune to attract millennials into would be drivers. I'm not sure if it has worked out yet. Maybe using organic or biodegradable gas car will sell like hotcakes.
You like how they look because you have poor taste. If they can't produce an efficient automobile efficiently, their product sucks and they should stop making them. Not being able to sell cars to people that have college degrees, eat healthy, and/or have iPhones is cutting out a significant market share that might have money. Forget about the fact that GMAC/Ally Financial are too big to fail.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:17 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
If the federal government poured the same amount of money into Detroit that it poured into NYC since the fianancial collapse, Detroit would be the premiere city on the planet.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:12 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,687,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
If the federal government poured the same amount of money into Detroit that it poured into NYC since the fianancial collapse, Detroit would be the premiere city on the planet.
No and No. Comparing NYC and Detroit are two totally different animals. Let's say the Federal Government gave Detroit 20 Billion dollars. What would happen? How many months till they are back in the red? It's really economics 101. If a married couple earns after taxes a net pay of 8 thousand a month. But they spend 10K a month. Their is gonna be a budget shortfall of 2k a month. This couple will be actually in very big debt in no time. Detroit is that couple on steroids. Real incompetency from top to bottom. NYC does not rely on 1 private sector job to drive it's economy. How much money does tourism make in NYC?

Old 07-23-2013, 08:20 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Quote:
But everyone else outside of Detroit would have to live in over-sized Suburbans or Excursions instead of houses, which might actually be more spacious than the average Manhattan apartment.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:45 AM

4,840 posts, read 9,912,628 times
Detroit's Ghetto: The worst Ghetto in the USA! Facts and a tour of Dying Detroit - YouTube

Old 07-23-2013, 11:56 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arxis28 View Post
Yea, New York was in a deep rut in the 70's and close to bankruptcy but it was still no where close to where Detroit is now. And the entire country would be in one deep hole if Wall Street wasn't bailed out so repeating this tired mantra is ridiculous.

Any city can suffer a major crisis, but there are no signs, as of now that New York is going down the same road as Detroit. Yes, the city has problems but please name another that doesn't.
Detroit and NYC are vastly two different cities of course, the closet comparison to Detroit is probably Cleveland, Milwaukee or Buffalo in Upstate NY. Detroit has been in a city of decline for the past 40 years from race riots, oil crises of the 70s, stock market burps in the late 80s and housing bubble in 2008. Even silly deals such as Regeanomics, and Clintonomics helped contribute to the demise of Detroit, but also other small rustbelt cities. So far NYC has more than 120,000,000,000 dollars of debt under its belt and growing which has ballooned in the past decade compared to Detroit a much smaller city which filed for bankruptcy for being 18,000,000,000 in the red. Hell NYC has more debt than some countries and I highly doubt this debt will be ever paid back unless a new currency in this country is declared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I understand that Detroit has a very different set of problems, and that NYC presently is nowhere close to heading off that kind of cliff. Detroit should really be compared to other rust belt clties like Buffalo, NY. It has little in common with NYC.
The system wont let me rep you. Detroit should be compared with Milwaukee, Cleveland, Cincinatti and Buffalo, all those cities depended on automobile market and making motor parts.

Quote:
I doubt that it would have been premiere but if the feds poured more money into Detroit it could have made Detroit a much more attractive city to invest in. If the Feds poured money into Detroit it could attract people to move there as well as create jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
No and No. Comparing NYC and Detroit are two totally different animals. Let's say the Federal Government gave Detroit 20 Billion dollars. What would happen? How many months till they are back in the red? It's really economics 101. If a married couple earns after taxes a net pay of 8 thousand a month. But they spend 10K a month. Their is gonna be a budget shortfall of 2k a month. This couple will be actually in very big debt in no time. Detroit is that couple on steroids. Real incompetency from top to bottom. NYC does not rely on 1 private sector job to drive it's economy. How much money does tourism make in NYC?
I wanted to rep you but the system wont let me. NYC has 120 billion dollars of debt and Detroit has about 20 Billion dollars in debt. NYC is a bigger juggernaut to deal with and run, as well as how much is needed to run this city. I highly doubt Detroit would go back in the red just in a few months. I'm not sure if you read any history but Detroit filing for bankruptcy was decades in the making, from race riots, to opec oil embargo, recession in the 1970s, decline of auto sales, Reagonmics, Clintonmics with Nafta, Gafta, Lafta, Asean, 2008 housing crisis. Overall it took Detroit 40 years to finally declare bankruptcy. The choices we made as a nation as a whole has helped hurt Detroit and its people, but this can happen to any big city in America big or small. Tourism industry is huge industry in NYC sadly it does not pay its workers what it deserves, forcing some workers to apply for food stamps and Medicaid to make ends meet.

Old 07-23-2013, 04:00 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,416,337 times
For the record, I've been to Detroit & its surrounding Metro Detroit many many times and I have been in grad school in nearby Lansing for a while (I'm from Chicago, both the city & the surrounding suburbs). We all know that Chicago has crazy crime issues, but it also has a thriving business district and very popular yuppie & hipster areas to the north & northwest. It is not unlike NYC in some respects.

If Detroit did a better job of cleaning up the city & attracting more industry and a more city-centric lifestyle, it could potentially become more like a Chicago IMO. Mayor Daley helped to do this in Chicago back in the day much like Giuliani did with NYC. A lot of today's Chicago's hip areas were crime-ridden dumps back in the day. The Metro Detroit area still has more than 5 million people. It's about half as big as the Chicagoland metropolitan area. There's gotta be some kind of hope. It's tough though. There is no public transportation infrastructure & all types of industries fled for the suburbs a long time ago in Detroit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
No one is saying New York couldn't have serious problems in the future. But I agree, they will never be on the same level of Detroit. I urge anyone brave and thrillseeking with the means to take a trip to Detroit (not joking). Most of it is a beautiful, postapocalyptic deserted wasteland that is so dangerous it is almost like a cheap thrill ride just to drive a car through it. If you know where you are going, there are so many hidden pockets of brilliance (some safe, some not so much). Some of the most inventive, amazing food and interesting people around. Urban pioneers starting small, organic farms. The best barbeque ribs, chicken, hot wings and mac n' cheese anywhere in the country. A music scene that is known for turning out some of the best artists the world has ever known. Abandoned, decaying architecture that is depressingly gorgeous and intensely horrifying all at once. In small doses it's almost downright enjoyable. Definitely not for your typical Disney crowd lol but I believe as a tourist destination it's underrated.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:33 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,687,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
For the record, I've been to Detroit & its surrounding Metro Detroit many many times and I have been in grad school in nearby Lansing for a while (I'm from Chicago, both the city & the surrounding suburbs). We all know that Chicago has crazy crime issues, but it also has a thriving business district and very popular yuppie & hipster areas to the north & northwest. It is not unlike NYC in some respects.

If Detroit did a better job of cleaning up the city & attracting more industry and a more city-centric lifestyle, it could potentially become more like a Chicago IMO. Mayor Daley helped to do this in Chicago back in the day much like Giuliani did with NYC. A lot of today's Chicago's hip areas were crime-ridden dumps back in the day. The Metro Detroit area still has more than 5 million people. It's about half as big as the Chicagoland metropolitan area. There's gotta be some kind of hope. It's tough though. There is no public transportation infrastructure & all types of industries fled for the suburbs a long time ago in Detroit.
Honestly, listen to this idea. Turn Detroit over to the 20 million immigrants looking for amnesty? Let them bring in some fresh ideas and maybe some private sector ideas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City