Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 11:13 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryanise View Post
Not necessarily. There are projects behind Lincoln Center; yet the area as a whole is still nice.

There are projects in the BoCoCa area in Brooklyn within walking distance of the nice restaurants on Court Street.

The projects aren't going anywhere. People can build around them if they wanted.

I agree that the OP is also a troll. Yet, it's nice to try to refute such common incorrect perceptions so that at least one person learns something new.
When I used to work around there I used to eat my lunch in Gowanus projects playground.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-30-2013, 10:07 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,304,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietrang View Post
I find many of the postings on this thread disturbing. There are people referring to The Bronx as a toilet and a third world country. What I questiom is why. It must be due to dated perceptions because I have been to every one of the boroughs and the facts are that The Bronx is pretty much the same as the other outer boroughs except for two things: racial make up and income level. It's population breakout shows the largest percentage of black and hispanic residents. Wake up people. You all need to admit that your perceptions of The Bronx are dated and possibly based on internal racist notions.
Or maybe it's because the Bronx has been known for high crime rates? Give that some thought.

Old 07-30-2013, 05:48 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,290,583 times
The OP is clearly not well traveled. I can think of at least three cities within a 2 hour drive of the Bronx that will make it look like SoHo

Old 07-30-2013, 05:51 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,290,583 times
In fact, whenever I'm in the BX, I almost have to do a double-take whenever I pass by an abandoned house or apartment building. The Bronx today is not the same Bronx from the '90s

Old 07-30-2013, 07:36 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietrang View Post
I find many of the postings on this thread disturbing. There are people referring to The Bronx as a toilet and a third world country. What I questiom is why. It must be due to dated perceptions because I have been to every one of the boroughs and the facts are that The Bronx is pretty much the same as the other outer boroughs except for two things: racial make up and income level. It's population breakout shows the largest percentage of black and hispanic residents. Wake up people. You all need to admit that your perceptions of The Bronx are dated and possibly based on internal racist notions.
And yet, in large cities, where you have high concentration of poor people, what problem do you have? CRIME!!!

(Among other social ills as well). How many people would be just aching to send their kids to public school in the Bronx?

Old 07-31-2013, 01:43 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,541,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post

Anyone who says Caribbean immigrants are doing well in NYC is fooling themselves. .
The point is that Caribbean immigrant households have HIGHER incomes on average and are MORE likely to own homes than African Americans. Caribbean households are approximately 80-85% of non hispanic white households whereas AAs are in the 60-65% range. More Caribbean adults are in the laborforce being the key reason for this, and are less confined to the civil service than are AAs.

You do note that the highest paying occupations are as unlikely to find AAs as they are Caribbean immigrants.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:44 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,866,342 times
/\/\

Would that range include Guyanese of Indian descent?

Old 07-31-2013, 02:22 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
Default 4/5 of Brooklyn is a toilet

I spend a lot of time traveling. I'm in Brooklyn about 3 days a week for work. I must say, Brooklyn is a sad sight to behold. Besides the extreme northern and western sections, its really a decayed borough. This is why I support gentrification. If you cannot take care of where you live, others will move in and do it instead. You know that old saying "don't crap where you eat?"

Do you guys think its safe to say that the BK is the most rundown borough?

Old 07-31-2013, 02:24 PM

Default 5/6 of Queens is a cesspool

I spend a lot of time traveling. I'm in Queens about 4 days a week for business. I must say, Queens is a sad sight to behold. Besides the extreme northern sections, its really a decayed borough. This is why I support gentrification. If you cannot take care of where you live, others will move in and do it instead. You know that old saying "don't crap where you eat?"

Do you guys think its safe to say that the QN is the most rundown borough?

Old 07-31-2013, 02:25 PM

This thread is still open? Really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City