Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 08:34 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times

Advertisements

HB is not a lot like living in Long Island. You can ride the LIRR from Lynbrook or Port Washington to Penn Station in 40 minutes. Not so from Howard Beach. It takes a lot more than 40 minutes to get from Penn to Rockaway Blvd. using the A, let alone wait for and ride a connecting bus. If your house is in the area behind Gino's/Uncle Louie's, you will definitely not be walking to the subway. Also not sure if there is parking near the RB station like you would normally see in LIRR towns. That is why it is cheaper. I agree however that it is a clean neighborhood with well-kept homes but it would be a big trade off for someone who has to commute to Manhattan everyday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 01:40 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,229,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post

I don't think a car is that much needed. The A trains stops there and so do the Q52/53 bus lines [two fairly fast and frequent bus lines]. Most residents of the area do have cars though.

PS 207, which is located in Rockwood Park, is a middle school now. High School is a problem, as HB is zoned for John Adams in Ozone Park. Almost non of the kids in HB go there, most parents send their kids to catholic schools [Christ the King, Molloy, St. Francis etc.]
I can't see how anyone can live in HB and not need a car. How do you go food shopping? There's only one grocery store on Crossbay and if you live all the way at the end of HB, how can you get to Waldbaums? And the stores are spread out so far apart along Crossbay--you can't really use the buses to shop in HB.

When I went to John Adams there were tons of kids from HB that went there but since I graduated in 1988 the school is much different now. People who sent their kids to Catholic HS most likely sent them to Catholic school between K-8th grade.

Old 08-01-2013, 02:21 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,911,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
I can't see how anyone can live in HB and not need a car. How do you go food shopping? There's only one grocery store on Crossbay and if you live all the way at the end of HB, how can you get to Waldbaums? And the stores are spread out so far apart along Crossbay--you can't really use the buses to shop in HB.

When I went to John Adams there were tons of kids from HB that went there but since I graduated in 1988 the school is much different now. People who sent their kids to Catholic HS most likely sent them to Catholic school between K-8th grade.
Lindenwood has its own Waldbaums which is conviently located in the middle of the area. Other then that, I would say a car is need if you're shopping in HB, but not so much if you're working in Manhattan. Most neighborhoods in Queens are like this though, even by me a car is somewhat necessary, unless you like walking 10-15 blocks with a small cart full of groceries. One problem with HB is that the eastern section of the neighborhood is separated from Cross Bay Blvd by the bay. Obviously nothing can be done about this, but it sucks if you live all the way down by 164 or 165 Avenue and have to go all the way up and go around to get to Cross Bay.

I forgot to mention that MS 202 on Lafayette and Conduit right across in Ozone Park has been converted into a small high school. Maybe a decent amount of HB kids go there.

Old 08-01-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Lindenwood has its own Waldbaums which is conviently located in the middle of the area. Other then that, I would say a car is need if you're shopping in HB, but not so much if you're working in Manhattan. Most neighborhoods in Queens are like this though, even by me a car is somewhat necessary, unless you like walking 10-15 blocks with a small cart full of groceries. One problem with HB is that the eastern section of the neighborhood is separated from Cross Bay Blvd by the bay. Obviously nothing can be done about this, but it sucks if you live all the way down by 164 or 165 Avenue and have to go all the way up and go around to get to Cross Bay.

I forgot to mention that MS 202 on Lafayette and Conduit right across in Ozone Park has been converted into a small high school. Maybe a decent amount of HB kids go there.
I didn't know they converted that school! My brother used to work there many years ago. Do you know when it became a HS? Would make more sense for them to go there since Adams is farther away.

I always liked the variety of dining in HB. Some restaurants have closed but there's a decent amount of places along Crossbay. Danny's had closed then re-opened a few years ago. I haven't noticed if it's still open or if it was affected by Sandy.

Old 08-01-2013, 02:38 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,063,208 times
and that's why they should have rebuilt the wooden bridge that was on 165th street.

Old 08-01-2013, 04:00 PM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
I didn't know they converted that school! My brother used to work there many years ago. Do you know when it became a HS? Would make more sense for them to go there since Adams is farther away.

I always liked the variety of dining in HB. Some restaurants have closed but there's a decent amount of places along Crossbay. Danny's had closed then re-opened a few years ago. I haven't noticed if it's still open or if it was affected by Sandy.
i used to love fuddruckers

Old 08-01-2013, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i used to love fuddruckers
don't forget the Bow Wow!

Old 08-01-2013, 04:47 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,670,625 times
hearing about HB reminds of the Michael Griffith tragedy in 1986

Old 08-01-2013, 04:51 PM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
don't forget the Bow Wow!
i used to go there with my car to show it off.

i will give you a better one , mystic colossus ,the club in the 1970's where billy joel worked with his group the HASSLES.

now i am really dating myself.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:20 PM

106 posts, read 183,672 times
Remember Pizza City?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City