Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2013, 03:24 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,956,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithrose View Post
You're right. I APPLIED for a student loan for $9000 through Discover and it got reduced to $2871. And I still haven't got the check for that amount and its been weeks. I APPLIED for a federal student loan for this fall semester and I'm still waiting to see for the amount they will give me. Lehman College is horrendous with helping out their students with these services.
Then you should do something for yourself. That's the way the public schools are. All regulations and applications are posted on line.

You are at a disadvantage for some loans either because you did not apply on time, monies have already been disbursed and/or promised, or you are not financially a priority. I am guessing that is the case for the federal loan you mentioned.

The private loan was reduced because you did not have sufficient credit history and/or have poor credit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 03:30 PM

35 posts, read 84,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Pointing out truths against which you have shored up the denial is neither rude nor negative.

Indeed, dishonesty produces far more negativity.
SMH I can easily tell that you went through a lot in life and that has turned you into a VERY coldhearted, insensitive person. You have done nothing but try to put me down the entire time for everything. It's okay it won't change me as a person. One day hopefully you will turn out to be a kind and warm person. God bless

Old 08-13-2013, 03:34 PM

35 posts, read 84,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Then you should do something for yourself. That's the way the public schools are. All regulations and applications are posted on line.

You are at a disadvantage for some loans either because you did not apply on time, monies have already been disbursed and/or promised, or you are not financially a priority. I am guessing that is the case for the federal loan you mentioned.

The private loan was reduced because you did not have sufficient credit history and/or have poor credit.
RIGHT..so what else am I do if I literally attempted all of my options? Applied for dorming...applied for subsidized apartments...applied for loans etc etc

Old 08-13-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithrose View Post
RIGHT..so what else am I do if I literally attempted all of my options?
Figure it out for yourself. Plenty of people do.

Your attitude is that of a spoiled and sulking child. This will not find you much advice from people who could actually help.

There are so many people asking for help that it is possible to pick and choose.

I will say - if you did not waste so much time and energy "shaking your head" you might actually accomplish something for yourself. You should take that both literally and figuratively.

Old 08-13-2013, 04:10 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,110,843 times
A crisis pregnancy center may take you in. Try googling.

Old 08-13-2013, 04:23 PM

900 posts, read 2,376,941 times
OP keep your head up. No one and I mean no one, not even on this message board has lived an exemplary life. The only one I know of who has is Jesus. All have made mistakes, have made errors in judgement that's what you call life. We learn from our mistakes (hopefully) and move on.

Those programs are for people like yourself and me, I'm disabled. No one knows the path they'll have in life, sure we can plan and prepare but all the preparing and planning in the world doesn't always suffice. We all go through tests, and a lot of these people here may be going through a test of their own but you'll never know b/c they want everyone to believe they've conquered life. Don't concern yourself with that, it's not their place to judge you or anyone else. You have a lot of positives going for you, you're in school and working to change your situation, you're making good grades so keep that up. Your present situation is temporary so remember that. Don't further stress yourself out by presenting your pearls before swine.

Narcissism is rampant in this country and has attributed to some of the attitudes you see here. If you look up the background on narcissist people you'll find that these are the ones who are judgmental and non-empathic and have no compassion, they are self absorbed and only concerned with what happens to them in any situation. Run from these sort of people b/c they get off on causing misery to any and everyone around them all the while putting themselves on a pedestal.

You're already taking the necessary steps in helping yourself by reaching out here. You know the best way to handle the situation w/ your brother is/was avoidance, unfortunately he keeps provoking you into acting. Sure there are a lot of personalities like this in shelters and the best way to handle these sort of people is to avoid them.

As someone said earlier in the post that it's the attitude of this board to hate anyone receiving any sort of government assistance. In their mind you're just representative of what they see everyday so they attack. Heck I don't like seeing the fraud or laziness that goes on with a lot of these people but not all are like that. You're not like that, you are trying to make a way out of your hell. You've proven you're a strong person, keep being strong and don't stop even after you attain your degree.

So don't waste your time and energy trying to convince these people of anything.

I'll be happy to help answer some of the questions you presented so you can im me if you like.

Old 08-13-2013, 04:29 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,411,680 times
Lehman is supposed to close, and of course reopen as some sort of other school or mix of schools.

Old 08-13-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Lehman is supposed to close, and of course reopen as some sort of other school or mix of schools.
Wow, that's unfortunate. Most of the colleges and many university have completely adopted branding strategies, reinvention, "innovation" (my favorite). If it does not work, close and reinvent yourself as a new product directed at a new consumer ... I mean, student.

I did get a very good laugh with the post above, though, especially the discussion of narcissism.

Old 08-13-2013, 04:47 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,411,680 times
It isn't unfortunate when you understand how bad the school has become....what is unfortunate is that it took this long and sunk so many kids until action was finally taken. What's sad is the people defending the horrible education and demanding the school remain open!

Old 08-13-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
It isn't unfortunate when you understand how bad the school has become....what is unfortunate is that it took this long and sunk so many kids until action was finally taken. What's sad is the people defending the horrible education and demanding the school remain open!
I cannot figure out why I heard nothing about this. It isn't really a school in my area of involvement, I suppose.

The last I heard, it was a great school for some programs !
Especially health sciences, education - if not quite the best in CUNY.

Do you know who is demanding that the school stay open ?
Community ? Faculty ? Administration ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City