Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 12:21 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
You just want to see these areas gentrified yourself. Well you can do your dance now.
From wherever somewhere else, I assure you.

And it's not as bad as that. I agree with the positions that there will be a lot of resistance after a point, and from people who have the wherewithal. It's actually already starting. People who are not directly involved don't realize.

Granted, hard to know how it all comes out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2015, 12:02 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Agree here as well. Vast majority are in regulated apartments and are not going anywhere.
Not true.

All someone in a regulated apartment has to do is lose their job. When they can't pay the rent, the landlord will evict them. Going to housing court can buy them some time, but ultimately they will have to show the judge an ongoing ability to pay the rent.

Or the rent in a regulated apartment over time can rise to a level that the person can't pay the rent. Again eviction. Or the level may go to a level where the person doesn't feel comfortable paying the rent and willingly moves out.

Old 11-30-2015, 08:50 AM

44 posts, read 83,158 times
Just an update... I did move to this area (Hamilton Heights) since the start of this thread -- 2 years ago -- and absolutely love it. With close proximity to trains and parks, the neighborhood exceeded my expectations... not to mention the size of my apartment.

Fast forward 2 years, I no longer need to go south for restaurants since there are many more options now in the neighborhood.

Old 11-30-2015, 01:27 PM

119 posts, read 110,843 times
Blasting one's music (whatever genre) is not a cultural issue; it's about being rude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
No they really don't do it to keep other people out. It is cultural. You moved into their area they didn't move into yours, then you get angry because they don't move out or change for you. What would give anyone the impression that Dominicans are moving out. Many own coops in the area, they are probably the majority of the coop owners with Black people next in line. So anyone moving into the area should be aware of that and understand the cultures.

Old 11-30-2015, 01:34 PM

Can we put to bed the tired cliché of boring, white Midwesterners?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfizz View Post
I happy this is the way it is. The latinos and blacks on NyC are tired of you boring, mostly white , mid westerners moving into the neighborhoods will keep you away then so be it.

Im tired of minorites being priced out of OUR neighborhoods,

If loud music doesthe job then I will BLAST MY MUSIC ! A to lo que da !!! Lmao

Sorry ....head to brooklyn or maybe jersey ??

Old 11-30-2015, 01:36 PM

New York is surrounded by highways and three main airports. You're free to leaving boring New York at your earliest convenience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeRrYcRaCk View Post
I gotta agree with popfizz...Im white and I hate all u "white Midwesterners too". stay out the hood and let the hood live.u guys have ruined just about all of manhattan. u guys r turning Brooklyn into garbage. and u guys are basically destroying the real NY. everytime I see one of u tight pants wearing funny looking buttoned up shirt with glasses and beards walking through the hood I just feel like throwing up. I think hip hop died the same day NY died.

Old 11-30-2015, 02:15 PM

I frequent the newsstand at the corner of Dyckman and Broadway in Inwood. The family that run the business are clearly Asian (they are from Bangladesh). Nevertheless, many, many times I've been in the store and locals try to speak to them in Spanish.

[quote=DAS;31231584]
You are dead wrong that anyone would expect for you to speak Spanish and that they are looking at you strangely for that reason. Many 2nd generation born NYers of Spanish speaking families don't speak perfect Spanish themselves so why would anyone expect for you to speak it fluently. Also you are not taking into account that there are many Black people in the area that don't speak spanish and they live, shop and communicate with everyone else on a daily basis. There are also many Haitian and African French speakers.

Old 11-30-2015, 02:59 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
[quote=Uptowner10;42117083]I frequent the newsstand at the corner of Dyckman and Broadway in Inwood. The family that run the business are clearly Asian (they are from Bangladesh). Nevertheless, many, many times I've been in the store and locals try to speak to them in Spanish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
You are dead wrong that anyone would expect for you to speak Spanish and that they are looking at you strangely for that reason. Many 2nd generation born NYers of Spanish speaking families don't speak perfect Spanish themselves so why would anyone expect for you to speak it fluently. Also you are not taking into account that there are many Black people in the area that don't speak spanish and they live, shop and communicate with everyone else on a daily basis. There are also many Haitian and African French speakers.
A lot of Dominican people look like people from that part of the world and vice versa so that language confusion happens sometimes. My dad could easily pass for Indian/Bengali/Pakistani. I've seen pakistani/bengali people talk to him in their languages. Not that surprising that would happen. I mean unless you are seeing the same people do it repeatedly. That's something else...

Old 12-11-2015, 10:01 AM

110 posts, read 124,573 times
You are correct here.

Old 12-11-2015, 10:05 AM

110 posts, read 124,573 times
Default No animosity

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
All that and African Americans AND Latinos are being gentrified out of upper Manhattan, Western Brooklyn, Western Queens (LIC and Astoria). So you might want to cut out the animosity.
I stand to be corrected as I'm sure things have changed since I lived there in the early 1990s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City