Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2013, 02:41 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,606,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
In terms of provable offenses you get what? 10 or 20? Out of 300 or more.

I believe NYPD actually succeeded in what they were trying to do...Bust up a run at Times Square.

But then they got caught by the flexibility of these miscreants. They lacked the ability to shift the nexus of their attention in a couple of minutes.

I am not really sure how you fix this. You may be able to fix any preplanned event...good intelligence ahead of time and overwhelming force. These guys really have no interest in a real fight...they flee at the least sign of real resistance. But if it is not known in advance...then what. The flash mob problem.

You need another way to prevent this stuff. And I have not seen an approach that sound remotely feasible.
I agree you can't really fix it in "real-time" as hundreds of bikes are buzzing around recklessly. But you can be preventative. Making a big example out of the thugs caught in this case is a step in the right direction in preventing this stuff. Give them 20 years each and destroy their futures and publicize if you're caught, this is what you face. Look at Woj, the NYPD "undercover" cop whose life/job/pay/pension with the NYPD has been destroyed, I bet no cop is going to ride with in this type of stunt group next year and for years to come and Cruz and the other thugs are sent away for a long time, bikers are going to think twice about doing these stunt rides next year. But you let the thugs go with a slap on the wrist and let Woj stay on the force and let Allred successfully sue Lien for a big cash settlement for Miese, these stunt groups will go on and on and get worse because they know they can ride with impunity and get cash money from a lawsuit if a Prius or Range Rover dares to bump them.

Last edited by fumbling; 10-13-2013 at 02:55 PM..

Old 10-13-2013, 03:07 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,805,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
I agree you can't really fix it in "real-time" as hundreds of bikes are buzzing around recklessly. But you can be preventative. Making a big example out of the thugs caught in this case is a step in the right direction in preventing this stuff. Give them 20 years each and destroy their futures and publicize if you're caught, this is what you face. Look at Woj, the NYPD "undercover" cop whose life/job/pay/pension with the NYPD has been destroyed, I bet no cop is going to ride with in this type of stunt group next year and for years to come and Cruz and the other thugs are sent away for a long time, bikers are going to think twice about doing these stunt rides next year. But you let the thugs go with a slap on the wrist and let Woj stay on the force and let Allred successfully sue Lien for a big cash settlement for Miese, these stunt groups will go on and on and get worse because they know they can ride with impunity and get cash money from a lawsuit if a Prius or Range Rover dares to bump them.
You know the one thing that might work would be to infiltrate their ranks. Perhaps get some specific law against actions by groups of more than 20 motor vehicles acting together. Use bikes loaded with cameras that catch faces and license plates. Than wait for a big event and bust a good part of the participants. If they really start worrying about spies it might really slow them down.

Or perhaps you can instrument a likely area and get good pictures in the act.

I don't know how you block retractable license plates or retractable covers. There are also glass that can be turned opaque which is a natural for these guys. I don't know how you can workably outlaw that other than catch them in the act...which is the thing that is so hard to do.

Old 10-13-2013, 08:40 PM

134 posts, read 276,288 times
Here's a simple solution to get these trouble makers off the street :

1. Find them real full-time jobs
2. Convince them to spend more time with their baby mommas and both their legitimate and illegitimate children
3. Have them scrape roadkill off the roads

Old 10-13-2013, 09:38 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jezyk View Post

2. Convince them to spend more time with their baby mommas and both their legitimate and illegitimate children
#2 is probably against the cruel and unusual punishment clause.

Old 10-13-2013, 10:05 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times
4. Confiscate the bike after the first traffic violation that involves speeding or doing stunts on the highway.

Old 10-13-2013, 10:30 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,606,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jezyk View Post

Woj had a great full-time job with benefits and cool working environment (infiltrate nonviolent groups and go to birthday parties) but still participated in thuggery.

Old 10-14-2013, 12:56 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Suspend their licenses, and don't allow them to drive any time soon.

And of course, they have to do time.

Old 10-14-2013, 01:05 AM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Suspend their licenses, and don't allow them to drive any time soon.

And of course, they have to do time.
The only problem is they drive without the license. That really does not work.

Old 10-14-2013, 01:26 AM

706 posts, read 3,764,205 times
With all the bikers in NYC, never in my life have I seen or heard of bikers "attacking" ANYONE on the road like this.
I still wonder what happened to provoke the madness that ensued because it isn't clear.

Of course, it's a tragic that the driver was beaten. It's tragic as well that a biker was run over.

smh at all of this name calling and the negative generalizations about bikers as well as these macho remarks about "What I would have done to those thugs"...

Old 10-14-2013, 06:40 AM
PPL

95 posts, read 152,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaReed View Post
With all the bikers in NYC, never in my life have I seen or heard of bikers "attacking" ANYONE on the road like this.
I still wonder what happened to provoke the madness that ensued because it isn't clear.

Of course, it's a tragic that the driver was beaten. It's tragic as well that a biker was run over.

smh at all of this name calling and the negative generalizations about bikers as well as these macho remarks about "What I would have done to those thugs"...
look at the long list of *all* the arrested bikes; they either commited those crimes on moon, or you just came from mars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City