Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 03:44 PM

1,300 posts, read 961,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Why do you keep asking "why" when the why has already been answered many times on this thread?
Because he is a troll and not actually sincerely looking for an answer to a question he cares about. Its about keeping the controversey going. Were he to accept that his "questions" have been answered, it would undermine the rationale for the contiuation of this thread.

Mildly amusing that a transparent race baiting thread started by an unclever troll can get so many people arguing over something that has absolutely no substantive meaning to anyone.

Old 11-09-2013, 04:02 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,066,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
LMAO! Those of us that know your posts will correctly identify a thread such as this to be more in the realm of fishing for controversy than seeking knowledge, GPSMA reborn.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2
It was a valid question. And this from the troll who posts CD members private personal information on tge secret board.

Old 11-09-2013, 04:30 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,322,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Why are you assuming its bothering me? Getting defensive? I just find it interesting because I really never see whites do it. I generally speak the same with all people. I dont find it necessary to change my accent or use words I normally wouldnt just because someone is less educated than I am or a different color.
Would that be the same as a white person who works with blacks and latinos everyday and gets along really well, but whenever they go to their family get togethers he refers to them as spics and ni**ers?
Could it be the same as someone who is bilingual who speaks perfect english until they go somewhere where they feel more comforatable and speak in their native tongue?

For some reason you feel like they are trying to blend in with the blue collar employees has it ever occured to you that maybe they are trying to blend in with the white work place? Honestly, it is not about trying to maintain ones identity with others like you it is about economics and trying to keep your job.

One more thing, many blacks who have been raised in a tough environment and made it to corperate America are not going to act like they did while growing up because quite frankly, it scares the Bejeus out of whites whose only understanding of blacks comes from a tainted media. That being said, some blacks mainly large dark men go to work making themselves as non-threatening as they can.

Old 11-09-2013, 04:38 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,322,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Because I notice it here at work. There was no value judgement in my original posts but obviously some people take offense out of thin air.

I just find it unusual that white professionals dont seem to do it when talking to the admin staff...even to the guyls from brooklyn
Simply because they don't have to. They run the show. I bet if they spoke broken english all of the time the rest of their employee would proably do the same so they they could fit in.

Old 11-09-2013, 05:37 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,405,966 times
For you to be so socalled educated, it doesn't seem like you know anything.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:32 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,619,738 times
One thing that really shocked me when I moved to New York was the fact that most of the people I worked with never really had a close relationship with a black person. I am a black male that works in academia and I am pretty sure that I am the closest black person that any of my coworkers have ever been in relationship with. Many of them expected me to be just like the idiots that they see on television making a fool out of themselves. I don't use ebonics, foul language, and I don't act like the stereotypical black guy that is "portrayed" as acting. My coworkers were shocked to actually meet a black guy that had his crap together. Think this stems from the fact so few ever had a close relationship with a minority. Hard to truly relate to and understand those that you have never been around.

I find NY and NJ to be very segregated and clickish in many ways. People generally stick with their own. Hispanic neighborhoods, asian neighborhoods, black neighborhoods, dominican neighborhoods. Kind of sad that most people never take time to build relationships with those outside of their race. I am fortunate to say that I have friends of many ethnicities.

Who cares how and why people talk the way they do. If you want to know the reason for coding or whatever you call it....JUST ASK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City