Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2014, 12:19 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,043,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
If you are finding difficulty finding work because of economic or structural issues, then you need to become politically active. Or move to a place where the job market is better. Or retrain yourself/get new job skills.

Clearly if you do nothing you will be starving out in the streets.
Even that isn't really an option for a lot of people. In my case, I can't take out any more student loans (and can't pay for the ones I have). Moving isn't an option - parents. If I could move, don't really know where I would go. A friend in North Dakota suggested there, but it was about -45 below last week, so noooooooo. It costs money to move and people don't always have that.

I hope to find some schooling I can afford that will result in a job that pays more than min wage. So far, nothing. Either I need $60k for another Bachelor's, or I need to spend $4-10k on training that will get a job paying less than what I'm making now. Not smart.

Soooo, the job hunting continues...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalKaos View Post
Blessings to you NYChistorygal,

You are an example of who the program should be helping.

I wish you every success. Seriously.

Thank you! I don't lose hope for long. Can't. I have to believe that the economy will eventually get better, and my situation with it. I've never regretted going to college and I'm sure that it will pay off one day.

Health and happiness to you!

Old 01-15-2014, 12:25 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,228,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Good, hopefully that'll motivate these people to get off their butts and find a job and fend for themselves instead of depending on Uncle Sam for a handout.
Philosphicaly I agree with you. Now, the only question is: where are the jobs?

Old 01-15-2014, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungLove21 View Post
I don't even know why NYChistorygal is explaining herself. If you have a phone, job, foodstamps etc, it's YOUR business. You don't owe anyone an explanation. Ever.

A simple "You Mad, Bro?" will suffice.
I'm just sick of people complaining. Yes, some people are frauds. But most are everyday people trying to survive.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:58 AM

25,556 posts, read 24,018,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
Even that isn't really an option for a lot of people. In my case, I can't take out any more student loans (and can't pay for the ones I have). Moving isn't an option - parents. If I could move, don't really know where I would go. A friend in North Dakota suggested there, but it was about -45 below last week, so noooooooo. It costs money to move and people don't always have that.

I hope to find some schooling I can afford that will result in a job that pays more than min wage. So far, nothing. Either I need $60k for another Bachelor's, or I need to spend $4-10k on training that will get a job paying less than what I'm making now. Not smart.

Soooo, the job hunting continues...
Here's a tip. Jobs that pay more than the minimum wage you often get through social connections. Better jobs/career opportunities tend not to be well advertised in newspapers or on craigslist. You learn of them through people who have already done them.

As for moving, if you were to ever do it, having some sort of connections help there as well. What kinds of connections is of course for the person to work out.

You might also talk to a career counselor to see what kinds of jobs you can get with your current degree. Is getting another bachelors degree a wise decision when you could face the same problems with employment AFTER getting another BA? People with just BA or BS tend not to make much money. If degrees are needed, experts and professionals with advanced degrees tend to make more (MBAs, MDs JDs, Masters, PhdS, etc.) That doesn't mean you should get an advanced degree. A certificate or professional license MIGHT be ENOUGH. In some lines of work your EMPLOYER will sponsor you for the license.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:08 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,912,526 times
Quote:
I doubt you would. It's amazing how so many people love to say what they would do...cancel my phone, sell my car, eat dirt, kill my dog... No, you wouldn't.

Well, my cell phone was $200 on an upgrade (not the $600 full-price retail - I'd never pay that even if I made a lot of $), that my parents paid for. They also help with the bill so I can look for work even when I'm not home and so they can reach me in an emergency. Job hunters need a phone. I've been out, ironically in Bryant Park BEHIND the NYPL on 5th avenue when I got a message from a possible interview. They are old. They are not well. I paid for their cell phone for 5 or 6 years when I could. They bought me a present to thank me for my birthday. They are allowed to do that. Get over it.

Job hunters need a phone, and yes, Mobile Internet Access gives me an edge over people who don't have it, which in my field, is no one. We all have it to compete with each other. I've been out, ironically in Bryant Park right BEHIND the NYPL on 5th avenue, when I got a message about a possible interview. I was able to look up the company, their mission statement and review the job description immediately. I was then able to call the woman back within minutes. Even though I was behind the library, by the time I got around the building, up the stairs, into the room and on the computer (assuming there wasn't a wait, which there usually is), I would have missed her. She was just about to leave when I called.

I'm not taking a dime for you. I've paid tens of thousands of taxes in my working life. I'm taking back a few dollars a month. It's mine, not yours. Get it????????????????

Yes you're taking from me, and everyone else who pays taxes.
You're taking from the pot we all (tax-payers) chip in.

See, that's the other thing that's irritating about welfare recipients: People with your kind of attitude.

Once upon a time, people who had fallen on hard times, and needed to take from the collective pot we all contribute to, were humble and kept their head down.
Back then, people used the assistance as a temporary crutch that would help them get back on their feet.

Now we got all these confrontational, rude, loud-mouths who think that because they paid taxes a few years in their working lives they think they can milk the system for life.

btw, I highly doubt most welfare recipients have made enough money on any single year to pay federal income tax. Some probably have, but most are probably part of the infamous 47% who receive tax credits and who don't pay any income tax.

So yea, you keep antagonizing people (like me) who are supportive of a strong safety net, and see how that works out for you.

Eventually your FS will be cut down to such a small amount that you won't have any other choice but to give up the luxury of having an expensive phone and data plan.

Last edited by likeminas; 01-15-2014 at 09:17 AM..

Old 01-15-2014, 09:22 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,866,632 times
Quote:
I doubt you would. It's amazing how so many people love to say what they would do...cancel my phone, sell my car, eat dirt, kill my dog... No, you wouldn't.

Well, my cell phone was $200 on an upgrade (not the $600 full-price retail - I'd never pay that even if I made a lot of $), that my parents paid for. They also help with the bill so I can look for work even when I'm not home and so they can reach me in an emergency. Job hunters need a phone. I've been out, ironically in Bryant Park BEHIND the NYPL on 5th avenue when I got a message from a possible interview. They are old. They are not well. I paid for their cell phone for 5 or 6 years when I could. They bought me a present to thank me for my birthday. They are allowed to do that. Get over it.

Job hunters need a phone, and yes, Mobile Internet Access gives me an edge over people who don't have it, which in my field, is no one. We all have it to compete with each other. I've been out, ironically in Bryant Park right BEHIND the NYPL on 5th avenue, when I got a message about a possible interview. I was able to look up the company, their mission statement and review the job description immediately. I was then able to call the woman back within minutes. Even though I was behind the library, by the time I got around the building, up the stairs, into the room and on the computer (assuming there wasn't a wait, which there usually is), I would have missed her. She was just about to leave when I called.

I'm not taking a dime for you. I've paid tens of thousands of taxes in my working life. I'm taking back a few dollars a month. It's mine, not yours. Get it????????????????
The system helps a lot of people that don't try to do anything at all for years, and years. If the system is out there to help people, it should be people like you. Yes, you do need a cell phone, and internet access at all times when looking for a job today. No one needs to be reminded about how they did it back in 1930. It is not relevant. Whatever you do, don't keep your head down. Keep your head up. Things will get better because you are a go-getter.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:06 AM

25,556 posts, read 24,018,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
Eventually your FS will be cut down to such a small amount that you won't have any other choice but to give up the luxury of having an expensive phone and data plan.
Presumably she's found a new job by then. She might end up having to take any job, even minimum wage (some money is better than no money, at least you can eat.). And truthfully minimum wage is more than food stamps so if you're living with your parents you'd be able to still keep your DATA plan.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:51 AM

25 posts, read 110,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Sit down Student. When you have a family then you can talk to me. In the meantime, focus on your homework. You don't have real bills.
Well I hope you get your wish to be qualified. I mean what is the gross income for two around 20k a year. That wonderful life to not have shop around for the best deals.

Old 01-15-2014, 02:17 PM

34,164 posts, read 47,398,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCStudent427 View Post
Well I hope you get your wish to be qualified. I mean what is the gross income for two around 20k a year. That wonderful life to not have shop around for the best deals.
I'm never getting food stamps. I make too much.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City