Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 11:17 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,256,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
De Blasio was voted in by NYC voters (I was one of them).

There's a right wing contingent here that's constantly weeping and wailing over everything.
Yeah, and when Rudy was mayor you were constantly weeping and wailing over everything. Why didn't you move out?

I have relatives like NyWriterdude. I am very careful to censor myself because I would offend their "progressive" sensibilities and might not get invited to family dinners again. I'm not making this up.

Progressive are tolerant of everyone - except conservatives (a/k/a in their minds, fascists).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 11:22 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Do you really think that we should all have the same mindset or opinions? If anything we need more people in this city with different opinions rather than make anyone who isn't quick to agree with the masses move out.

Old 03-20-2014, 11:22 AM

19,031 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous725 View Post
Implying Bush didn't destroy/violate the constitution with the creation of the USA PATRIOT ACT, or the other republicans who created stuff like COINTELPRO.

All violations of the constitution and the laws of the land.
I absolutely did not imply anything of the sort. The Bushies are imperialistic religious nuts. Non-Progressives are not automatically Bushies. Expand your mind a little...

Old 03-20-2014, 11:25 AM

19,031 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
I am very careful to censor myself because I would offend their "progressive" sensibilities and might not get invited to family dinners again. I'm not making this up.
I'm the opposite. I speak my mind as much as possible specifically so that people who don't like it can avoid me. I have no interest in surrounding myself with people who actively work to take away my rights, especially my gun rights. Thankfully none of my immediate family identifies as a "progressive", but I have extended family who've been written off. It's an easy choice for me.

Old 03-20-2014, 11:28 AM

24,097 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
De Blasio was voted in by NYC voters (I was one of them).

There's a right wing contingent here that's constantly weeping and wailing over everything.

If that's how they feel why don't they just move to some small town in Appalachia? New York most other coastal states have progressive politics. Big demographic changes are affecting the Southern states like Texas, Florida, Virginia, North Carolina, and Georgia. That leaves the poorest parts of states like WV, MS, and Arkansas for these people to move to.

So why not move there? Whining about progressive NYS and NYC politics has grown old.

When I lived in the North Bronx, I hated it and so I left the North Bronx. I still love NYC, but I'm happy to be out of town and in other places for now, though I'll eventually move back to NYC (not the Bronx or any other poor area).

But for those who absolutely hate everything about NYC, really you should leave and never come back if its so awful.

I agree. Life is too short to live someplace that you hate.

To quote the late Lou Reed "I do believe, if you don't like things you leave, for someplace you've never been before".

So shut up and move, ya whiners! New York IS progressive! That's why people move there, get it?

Old 03-20-2014, 11:29 AM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Yeah, and when Rudy was mayor you were constantly weeping and wailing over everything. Why didn't you move out?

I have relatives like NyWriterdude. I am very careful to censor myself because I would offend their "progressive" sensibilities and might not get invited to family dinners again. I'm not making this up.

Progressive are tolerant of everyone - except conservatives (a/k/a in their minds, fascists).
LOL, looks to me as though said progressives are tolerant only of those who march in lockstep with their politics, philosophy and life-style.....

In your shoes, I'd forego the family dinners....

Old 03-20-2014, 11:29 AM

943 posts, read 1,198,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I'm the opposite. I speak my mind as much as possible specifically so that people who don't like it can avoid me. I have no interest in surrounding myself with people who actively work to take away my rights, especially my gun rights. Thankfully none of my immediate family identifies as a "progressive", but I have extended family who've been written off. It's an easy choice for me.
I have a question.

Do you believe everyone has the right to purchase a gun. And the market should be unregulated and exempt from any government interaction and involvement, like religious sectors are exempt form governmental intervention?

Old 03-20-2014, 11:35 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,537,213 times
I'm moving to LI. I'm moving primarily for other reasons, but when Diblasio got elected, it made the choice alot easier (and sooner).

Old 03-20-2014, 11:37 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,256,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
You're right. But my immediate family is extremely "progressive."

For example, one thought it was a good idea that my local newspaper, the Journal News, published the addresses of those who have registered firearms.

My first retort was that I learned the nice 70-year old couple three houses away has a gun permit. So what am I supposed to do, panic? Sell my house?

My second retort was to suggest that the newspaper publishes the addresses of those who served time for committing a felony.

Fortunately, we still talk to each other.

Old 03-20-2014, 11:47 AM

338 posts, read 676,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous725 View Post
Sometimes I can't tell if this is the Richardson TX or Houston TX board or NYC. It seems filled with reds.

It's filled with a lot of enormously unhappy people who are trying to spread the joy, is what it is. The negativity is unbelievable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City