Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 09:43 AM

510 posts, read 1,443,554 times

Advertisements

I do want to make one other point- NYC DOES have a lot of public bathrooms. You guys just might not realize it because they're all in the parks/playgrounds, and not right there on the streets.

Bathrooms : NYC Parks

Here's a list. I just counted 128 public restrooms in Manhattan alone.

Edited to add that that list also states which ones are open year round- the vast majority of them are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 09:50 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
So what you are saying is, the 1 million people or so roaming around Times Square should either go to Central Park to use the restroom (good luck finding it in the park), or maybe the 2 stalls in Bryant Park? They can also walk to Madison Square Park and use the 1 pay toilet!

NYC does have a lot of public bathrooms in places nobody can use them.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:03 AM

499 posts, read 794,071 times
You can walk into any hotel in Times Square and use their immaculate bathrooms. Stop at the hotel bar while you're at it.

An idea for the city to provide legit public bathrooms would be to grant a modest zoning bonus to developers who provide and maintain them in their new buildings. This is how those semi-public plazas (POPS) in front of private buildings work, and there are dozens of those.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:04 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn1234 View Post
I do want to make one other point- NYC DOES have a lot of public bathrooms. You guys just might not realize it because they're all in the parks/playgrounds, and not right there on the streets.

Bathrooms : NYC Parks

Here's a list. I just counted 128 public restrooms in Manhattan alone.

Edited to add that that list also states which ones are open year round- the vast majority of them are.
True. I don't tend to use them because I have bad memories from my childhood of them being creep central or just otherwise incredibly disgusting.

I happened to use one at Bryant Park last weekend and I'm happy to report it was actually nice and clean.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:53 AM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
That's what I'm saying. Especially in a place like NYC where even at the Mandarin Oriental you could be a tourist wearing jeans and a t shirt to go out and about. If the hotel staff stopped every single person that came in the door that hotel would go out of business.
This is true in any big city!

Old 03-28-2014, 11:40 AM

364 posts, read 708,494 times
There are plenty of bathrooms around, like others have said, they're not on the streets. There are bathrooms in most of the super markets and big box stores - Whole Foods, Pathmark, Bed Bath & Beyond, Target, Macy's, the Big Kmart, Barnes & Noble, the Container Stores, Bloomingdale, Rockefeller Center basement level (where the fast-food restaurants are), Crate & Barrel, West Elm, the Apple Store, Starbucks, etc. You just need to know where to look.

This is not a NYC problem, you will find this problem in many major cities around the world.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:59 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
Real NYers don't share bathroom locations on the internet or with tourists.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:15 PM

424 posts, read 974,246 times
Without public bathrooms Starbucks has been the go to spot in NYC.... only if you really are desperate it's not fun to be standing in line behind 15-20 people.

I have a mental map of spots to go to in nearly every neighborhood in Manhattan. There was a great website that listed every non crowded and clean bathroom you could use in Manhattan (ironically it was inspired by George's list of the best bathrooms in Manhattan from Seinfeld) but it shut down.

For hotels walk in like you are a guest there, no one has ever stopped me at the at upscale hotels or department stores. Bryant Park has a nice public bathroom I can think of (it also staffed by people who clean it and is shockingly nice) As other said many NYC parks have public bathrooms but some of them can be a bit sketchy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
don't share bathroom locations on the internet
It's kind of like telling everyone about your favorite neighborhood spot to grab coffee or dinner, the owner will love you spreading the word for them but some regulars wouldn't be so happy. Happened to the Crate & Barrel at Houston and Broadway; which was a secret spot (the bathrooms are somewhat hidden in the back) word got out and now it's becoming like a Starbuck's.

Last edited by ehanson; 03-28-2014 at 12:53 PM..

Old 03-28-2014, 12:19 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,412,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Can you really walk into a hotel and use their bathrooms?

BTW, public bathrooms aren't really common in other American cities either. It isn't just a NYC problem.

NYC should pass a law requiring eating establishments that have a certain number of seats allow the public to use its bathrooms.
I worked in a hotel business for 2 years. In our hotel as long as you came in, said hello and informed us, you were allowed to use the bathroom as pleased.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:20 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
PLEASE stop claiming there are plenty of bathrooms in NYC..WE GET IT...just look at all the apt buildings..PLENTY OF BATHROOMS. But that is not what this thread is about and simply a deflection from the basic and simple question: Where are the PUBLIC bathrooms. It is irrelevent whether you can sneak into a Pathmark, Hotel, Target, McDonalds, or any other PRIVATE establishment....these are for customers. People have to use those bathrooms BECAUSE there are no public bathrooms around.

Stop listing every business in NYC that has bathrooms for employees and customers!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City