Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 01:31 PM

675 posts, read 1,256,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Part of the problem is that in poor neighborhoods shootings, stabbings, and other violence is so rampant people expect these things. Shock and outrage occur in areas where these incidents rarely occur. 13 shootings occurred in 9 hours and most were in Brooklyn. That says a lot on how this summer is turning out, doesn't it?

And crackheads and other extreme drug addicts are concentrated in poor neighborhoods. It would not all surprise me if this guy had some sort of hard core addiction.
Yes we all know violence is more prevalent in the hood but not THIS kind of violence which is why its such a big news story. And I will still say how much of this violence is due to mental illness that is usually ignored and swept under the rug instead of being properly addressed? Instead the perception is simply they're all just a bunch of cold-hearted "thug ass savages"

And 13 shootings in 9 hours is rather on the light side if you look at the last 50 years in NYC especially in the summer. Wasn't it just a few years ago back in 2011 Labor Day Weekend if I'm correct we had around SIXTY shot and numerous dead? And was that the beginning of the big return of crime in the city? Nope...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
So you bring up incidents that have nothing to do with NYC? Odd. And what makes you think people are not saddened by this story?
Because they were big national stories that everybody, including NYers were following and discussing. Even right here in this NYC forum. Outrage is in front of the sadness because people are incorrectly labeling this as just another "senseless" violent act in the hood when in fact the perp may have been off his meds (or given some meds that made him go off) which is why he committed the act to begin with. If evidence comes up that proves he was totally sane and simply did it as some part of a gang initiation or just for the "thrill of it" I will be the first one to rescind what I've wrote

Last edited by Dennis Brown; 06-03-2014 at 01:53 PM..

Old 06-03-2014, 01:40 PM

19,049 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Quote:
Part of the problem is that in poor neighborhoods shootings, stabbings, and other violence is so rampant people expect these things. Shock and outrage occur in areas where these incidents rarely occur. 13 shootings occurred in 9 hours and most were in Brooklyn. That says a lot on how this summer is turning out, doesn't it?

And crackheads and other extreme drug addicts are concentrated in poor neighborhoods. It would not all surprise me if this guy had some sort of hard core addiction.
I was just going to write a similar post. Look at how quickly people start making excuses for this crap. That's why it's so prevelent! "Oh, this is nothing!" "It was worse years ago." "The summer is always worse anyway."

Stop playing apologist, support those who enforce the law, demand respect for humanity, shun thugs and the thug lifestyle, stop accusing anyone who decries criminal activity of being a racist, and maybe we'll stop seeing animalistic behavior over and over again from the neighborhoods where it is expected. This stuff should never be expected or accepted. Ever.

Old 06-03-2014, 01:52 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
Unless the killer lives in that project, he may have been reluctant to carry a knife on the street or in the subway. Or, he may well have been S&Fed and the knife found, prior to the attack, especially if he was a mental case who attracted the attention of those pesky, nosy, anti-crime officers. Of course, no one would have known that a violent crime was prevented. Just as we never can predict who is going to be a victim, we can't predict who is not. But, we do know that there are a lot fewer crimes committed in NYC, especially homicides. We just don't know exactly whose lives are being saved.
How do you know he didn't live in the project? Plus if he is a drug addict or had mental illness who says he was stable enough to care about S&F? You are aware homicides occurred at the height of stop and frisk?

And homicides are up for the summer. According to Bloomberg, theft was up for the past two years in NYC. He blamed theft of electronic devices (in ghetto areas people sell stolen electronics).

Old 06-03-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I was just going to write a similar post. Look at how quickly people start making excuses for this crap. That's why it's so prevelent! "Oh, this is nothing!" "It was worse years ago." "The summer is always worse anyway."

Stop playing apologist, support those who enforce the law, demand respect for humanity, shun thugs and the thug lifestyle, stop accusing anyone who decries criminal activity of being a racist, and maybe we'll stop seeing animalistic behavior over and over again from the neighborhoods where it is expected. This stuff should never be expected or accepted. Ever.
It's hard to shun thugs and the thug lifestyle when they are unfortunately the NORM in parts of town. In the 90s in Jackson Heights the kids on my block pressured me to do drugs. I rejected them, and they stepped up the pressure. I then claimed that I did 5 years for arson and that I was on strong antipsychotic drugs. Then they stopped trying to sell me drugs.

But my point is there are subcultures where thuggery, addiction, and other scummy behavior is seen as the norm and anyone not into those things as abnormal.

Can't the US make friends with Russia and outsource prisons to Siberia? And this would be an one way ticket kind of deal. LOL bad joke.

Old 06-03-2014, 02:00 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Brown View Post
Because they were big national stories that everybody, including NYers were following and discussing. Even right here in this NYC forum. Outrage is in front of the sadness because people are incorrectly labeling this as just another "senseless" violent act in the hood when in fact the perp may have been off his meds (or given some meds that made him go off) which is why he committed the act to begin with. If evidence comes up that proves he was totally sane and simply did it as some part of a gang initiation or just for the "thrill of it" I will be the first one to rescind what I've wrote
In my mind, any man that can kill a fellow citizen is classified as mentally ill in my book. Its a big difference than getting into an old fashioned fist fight.

Old 06-03-2014, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I'm going to ask the same question again: Since these neighborhoods are experiencing record low violent crime stats since crime statistics have been kept in modern times what exactly is the threshold to be reached before we consider it "not a problem"? And please don't say when there is "zero" violent crime because violent crimes can and do happen in all neighborhoods. What is the threshold???

For example the 75 precinct which covers ENY where this incident occurred has scene a 93% drop in murder rate. NINETY-THREE!!!! From 126 in 1993 to 18 in 2013. Now tell me how lower does it need to go?????

Old 06-03-2014, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Yes we all know violence is more prevalent in the hood but not THIS kind of violence which is why its such a big news story. And I will still say how much of this violence is due to mental illness that is usually ignored and swept under the rug instead of being properly addressed? Instead the perception is simply they're all just a bunch of cold-hearted "thug ass savages"

And 13 shootings in 9 hours is rather on the light side if you look at the last 50 years in NYC especially in the summer. Wasn't it just a few years ago back in 2011 Labor Day Weekend if I'm correct we had around SIXTY shot and numerous dead? And was that the beginning of the big return of crime in the city? Nope...
We are nowhere near labor day and high school kids have about 2 more weeks in school.

I think you're making excuses for crime, partially because the majority of violent crimes occur in certain neighborhoods and that is a rather sensitive topic.

NYC is not at it's all time crime low. Theft has been up for the past couple of years according to Bloomberg. Bratton himself admits to a spike in murders. No one is claiming that NYC as at it's all time highs as far as crime goes. But clearly it's not at it's all time lows, and we are in no danger of crime disappearing from NYC.

Shootings and stabbing make the Daily News and the NY Post all the time and it has been like this for decades. I guess you now want to declare every homicidal person in poor neighborhoods mentally ill.

Old 06-03-2014, 02:06 PM

Quote:
I'm going to ask the same question again: Since these neighborhoods are experiencing record low violent crime stats since crime statistics have been kept in modern times what exactly is the threshold to be reached before we consider it "not a problem"? And please don't say when there is "zero" violent crime because violent crimes can and do happen in all neighborhoods. What is the threshold???

For example the 75 precinct which covers ENY where this incident occurred has scene a 93% drop in murder rate. NINETY-THREE!!!! From 126 in 1993 to 18 in 2013. Now tell me how lower does it need to go?????

And certain precincts are UP this year as opposed to last year. Bratton himself has said violent crime will rise and fall (it will).

No sane person is going to feel safe or live in certain bad neighborhoods in the city if they can avoid it. Stop trying to gloss over conditions in these neighborhoods. What's the point in pretending?

Btw, when a person gets out of jail or out of the mental hospital, where do they go? In a halfway house. Where are halfway houses placed? Generally in poor neighborhoods. So even if the stabbed had a mental problem, psychos who are in and out of the mental hospital are placed in poor neighborhoods. This is more likely to happen in certain bad neighborhoods. It's sad, but that is the way it is.

Old 06-03-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
We are nowhere near labor day and high school kids have about 2 more weeks in school.

I think you're making excuses for crime, partially because the majority of violent crimes occur in certain neighborhoods and that is a rather sensitive topic.

NYC is not at it's all time crime low. Theft has been up for the past couple of years according to Bloomberg. Bratton himself admits to a spike in murders. No one is claiming that NYC as at it's all time highs as far as crime goes. But clearly it's not at it's all time lows, and we are in no danger of crime disappearing from NYC.

Shootings and stabbing make the Daily News and the NY Post all the time and it has been like this for decades. I guess you now want to declare every homicidal person in poor neighborhoods mentally ill.
Of course I'm not making any kind of excuses for crime, rather I'm pointing out to the fact that if someone "mentally ill" has done committed an act of violence it should be approached the same way whether it was in the PJ's in ENY or on a quiet "tony" street of Park Slope. If not then there is a bias and I'm calling it out

What spike in murders? Murders are down so far in 2014 compared to a RECORD low total murders of 2013 so I really don't know what planet ya'll guys are on. If its politically driven then just be real and say it up front and stop beating around the bush. And yes with a city of over 8 million of course it will never be crime free.

Do you think mental illness is a problem in the hood or does it only happen with suburban white kids that go on shooting sprees?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City