Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 08:08 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,414,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
While I personally agree with your view of burial, LAY OFF MY NEIGHBORS!!

My balcony looks out over a huge Jewish cemetery full of the most peaceful and respectful neighbors I have ever had. There's no way in hell I want to see that change.

When my time comes though, I don't plan to take up space on this planet any longer. I want my kids to cremate me, load me up in some rifle bullets, and take me on years of big games hunts!
Yes, I myself have thought enough times that it would be ideal to live across from a cemetery (even a very large cemetery) or even have a house virtually surrounded by a series of cemeteries (as I have seen in certain parts of Long Island), as it will assuredly be more peaceful in such a setting than to have a host of living neighbors abutting me on all or nearly all sides. I desire peace, quiet, and tranquility for my home setting if I can accomplish this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
I'm surrounded by graveyards and I love it. At least dead people are quiet and peaceful.
Yes, I'm somewhat familiar with that part of Queens (Glendale - Ridgewood) with a host of large cemeteries alongside one another. I even know some people interred at some of them. The best neighbors of all to have. I wish the great lot of our living fellow human beings would be as well behaved as the deceased.

Wherever I have lived, I make it my personal mission to not create undue noise or disturbances for any neighbors (even when living in multi-level multiple-dwelling apartment buildings). I'm so well-behaved that I'd be as good as having a deceased person for your neighbor.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:16 PM

A joke I heard when I was a kid:

QUESTION: Why do they build fences around cemeteries?

ANSWER: Because people are just dying to get in.

Last edited by UsAll; 08-13-2015 at 08:33 PM..

Old 08-13-2015, 08:37 PM

19,049 posts, read 13,964,273 times
I absolutely love where I live. My father recently moved in with me and he takes pictures from the balcony every day. We see deer regularly. A few days ago I saw two 8 point bucks together.

I am sort of surrounded by cemetaries also, not just the one across from my house. The block behind me abuts another one and to my left is a decent parcel of woods. This area is a gem within an otherwise crappy city scenery-wise.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I absolutely love where I live. My father recently moved in with me and he takes pictures from the balcony every day. We see deer regularly. A few days ago I saw two 8 point bucks together.

I am sort of surrounded by cemetaries also, not just the one across from my house. The block behind me abuts another one and to my left is a decent parcel of woods. This area is a gem within an otherwise crappy city scenery-wise.
My ideal home setting. Sounds like paradise. Maybe someday, if I live long enough to see it, I may achieve that kind of home setting someday. I like to come home to a home and surrounding area of assured, guaranteed peace, quiet, tranquility, privacy, and safety. Hey, I'm allowed to dream.

Old 08-14-2015, 12:36 AM

898 posts, read 1,219,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
I. can't. even.

Sacred ground

Holy ground

religious freedom

civilizations history

Spirit

Ancestors

Resting place

Resting in peace
outside of civilization history (even then, you can just dig up those bag o bones and move them to some remote place where you can visit if you really wanna see them again. oh and the resume tombstone can accompany them for a job in the afterlife), the rest of the list is meaningless for an atheist who truly believes we are nothing more than a cockroach or a chicken sandwich we ate for dinner last night. here today, gone tomorrow.

Old 08-14-2015, 12:39 AM

898 posts, read 1,219,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
You think you have it bad, you should see Queens. There's easily double the number of graveyards, it's such a cluster****. There are literally millions of people buried on wasted land. There's even dueling cemeteries, if you go down 58th street you'll see on one side a christian cemetery neatly laid out and on the other side a jewish cemetery crammed in with bodies buried one on top of the other (it's a strange contrast)

There's got to be some way of building over them or something, it's such a waste
i had no idea. i have been to queens but only a few parts only a few times.

as i have said, the biggest thing that really pisses me off is that dead ppl. are more important (they aren't even ppl., just a pile of bones, joe the guy next door left the earth a long time ago like that cow you ate for dinner inside of a big mac at mcdonalds) than the living who NEED real estate for all kinds of things. if religion and all these rituals are so holy, go bury them in a remote mountain or place that is inhospitable for people.

Old 08-14-2015, 02:23 AM

3,475 posts, read 3,278,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Guy View Post
outside of civilization history (even then, you can just dig up those bag o bones and move them to some remote place where you can visit if you really wanna see them again. oh and the resume tombstone can accompany them for a job in the afterlife), the rest of the list is meaningless for an atheist who truly believes we are nothing more than a cockroach or a chicken sandwich we ate for dinner last night. here today, gone tomorrow.
Catacombs of France, Great Pyramids of Giza, Valley of the Kings, Xigaoxue Village, Nintoku - Sakai, Osaka, Japan...

So you're saying you've got no respect for the millions of lives that came before you and the great mandala of life. You are the product of a thousand love stories in your family line. Without them there wouldn't be you. Don't disrespect the dead because of the myopic viewpoint that all that matters to you is the here and now.

Old 08-14-2015, 06:45 AM

782 posts, read 859,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Guy View Post
the space is so valuable and can serve the LIVING people. everytime i walk by that church (i used to live in bensonhurst and there is another graveyard there adjoined to a church on 16th ave. and 84th st. with about 100 dead ppl. from the 1800s, pathetic) on church ave., i am pissed. i wish i could tell the pastor that this is all useless and we can use that space for a park or businesses or even residences.
So...you'd rather see this

than this?

You, sir, have a very deluded outlook on this

Old 08-14-2015, 07:01 AM

19,049 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Or this:
Attached Thumbnails
graveyards in nyc-img_6060.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City