Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 06:22 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,599,527 times

Advertisements

I voted for Joe Lhota, mostly because I can't stand Bill DeBlasio.

Not sure I would qualify as a blue collar ethnic white, although I do make a working class salary (sadly, with 2 Master's degrees though), and I suppose I'm ethnic (Jewish) and white.

I'm a Democrat in general, but again, can't stand DeBlasio!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2015, 08:07 PM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
All Giuliani cared about was making the city money. Those quality of life issues he dealt with weren't for poor working class New Yorkers. That was to attract out of towners with money. Giuliani endorsed Bloomberg three times and he knew from day one what Bloomberg was about. Do you honestly think Giuliani cared? Please.

Giuliani banned the tourist helicopters for quality of life issues. They are noisy and create noise pollution all day, every day. He banned them. That, in my book is all I need.

However, Bloomberg re-instated them, and now all our waterfront parks and govenors island and all the neighborhoods along the hudson both NJ and NY have to listen to the droaning sound of helicopters flying every 2 minutes from 9am till 7pm all day everyday.

we know we live in a city, we know there will be noise, but this can and should be elliminated, for the hundreds of thousands of residents that pay taxes to live here.....we matter, the tax payers matter. So until DeBlasio bans them as well, (and the bill has been on his desk already by many elected officials), we will see if he cares at all...

Old 10-31-2015, 01:10 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,614,204 times
Quote:
It's just not happening for a multitude of reasons.

A lot of poor people were shifted out of certain neighborhoods, and certain 90s reforms in welfare and mental health were big factors in reducing crime. So is a lowered birth rate. You have a lot more urban investment in the form of jobs and housing in abandoned industrial areas like the West Side of Manhattan, LIC, Williamsburg, etc and that too reduced the crime rate.
I don't think NYC will ever revert to what it was in the 90s either, I'm just saying that if crime became a serious issue, you'd see many surprising political results.

People often confuse Guliani the Mayor w/ Guliani the person. He simply wasn't a very affable guy, and NY mayors tend to be more well recieved when they're accessible regardless of policies (see how many people t o this day adore Koch). Take someone who makes less borderine racist statements, has less temper tantrums and is generally less openly combative and I could see someone with his [guliani's] views being in power. Heck, even DeBlasio isn't immune, since he brought Bratton back.

Old 10-31-2015, 06:27 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Giuliani banned the tourist helicopters for quality of life issues. They are noisy and create noise pollution all day, every day. He banned them. That, in my book is all I need.

However, Bloomberg re-instated them, and now all our waterfront parks and govenors island and all the neighborhoods along the hudson both NJ and NY have to listen to the droaning sound of helicopters flying every 2 minutes from 9am till 7pm all day everyday.

we know we live in a city, we know there will be noise, but this can and should be elliminated, for the hundreds of thousands of residents that pay taxes to live here.....we matter, the tax payers matter. So until DeBlasio bans them as well, (and the bill has been on his desk already by many elected officials), we will see if he cares at all...
Tourism a major part of NYC's economy, so my guess is de Blasio will let Bloomberg's decision STAND.

I live near the Hudson and I personally have absolutely no problem with tourists helicopters. I've not heard people complain about the issue. Airplanes fly over as well but I have no complaints, nor has anyone complained to me about it. I think most New Yorkers are used to living in a noisy city with emergency personnel sirens, partiers, etc.

Old 10-31-2015, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
I don't think NYC will ever revert to what it was in the 90s either, I'm just saying that if crime became a serious issue, you'd see many surprising political results.

People often confuse Guliani the Mayor w/ Guliani the person. He simply wasn't a very affable guy, and NY mayors tend to be more well recieved when they're accessible regardless of policies (see how many people t o this day adore Koch). Take someone who makes less borderine racist statements, has less temper tantrums and is generally less openly combative and I could see someone with his [guliani's] views being in power. Heck, even DeBlasio isn't immune, since he brought Bratton back.
I think the population has moved on and there are OTHER issues with policing on a national issue, such as the police brutality issues.

Smartphone cameras are everywhere and in an era where people are pushing to legalize marijuana and end mass incarceration Giuliani or a similar type would have no chance.

Mass incarceration has social and economic costs. With criminal records they can't work and now they will be supported by the government.

What the US did before the Quakers is that serious crimes got the death penalty, and lessor offenses got you fined or whipped. Prison was rare.

Crime was reduced in the 1990s because of a combination of federal policies (and the federal government even gave all the cities more money for POLICE)! This is known now and today people would seek other solutions towards crime. Simply trying to lock up all poor people is not the answer.

Which is why Bloomberg used economic development. Working people don't go out and steal or commit the crimes that unemployed, marginalized people commit.

Old 11-01-2015, 06:10 PM

989 posts, read 1,877,530 times
Bill de Blasio Countdown Clock

Old 11-01-2015, 08:47 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by izannimda View Post
that's just pathetic

Old 11-04-2015, 05:17 PM

454 posts, read 763,863 times
Please everybody, can we get a republican mayor and governor? It could happen if we start now...before all of New York becomes regulations and taxes. New York ranks 50th in the entire country as a favorable state in which to do business. 50th.

Old 11-05-2015, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roskybosky View Post
Please everybody, can we get a republican mayor and governor? It could happen if we start now...before all of New York becomes regulations and taxes. New York ranks 50th in the entire country as a favorable state in which to do business. 50th.
Bull****. Look at all the businesses that are willing to be in NYC and willing to pay the taxes. Only dumps like Mississippi have to promote themselves as low tax. There's not much to tax there and despite low taxes Mississippi is rock bottom on everything.

You get what you pay for and that includes taxes.

Come to think of it, previous Republican mayors did not and good not make NYC low tax. NYC has huge infrastructure like mass transit, airports, bridges and tunnels, all of which must be paid for by taxpayers. We also have a huge public sector like CUNY, k-12, libraries, public hospitals, etc. Paid for by taxpayers. NY does a good job in covering low income people with health insurance. Paid for by taxes and all of this was true under Governor Pataki and Mayor Bloomberg. Two Republicans. Those two Republicans used taxpayer money to fund subway and commuter railroad expansion. While I support this, it means that NYC won't ever be turned into a low tax place.

Old 11-05-2015, 08:59 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
Bull****. Look at all the businesses that are willing to be in NYC and willing to pay the taxes. Only dumps like Mississippi have to promote themselves as low tax. There's not much to tax there and despite low taxes Mississippi is rock bottom on everything.

You get what you pay for and that includes taxes.

Come to think of it, previous Republican mayors did not and good not make NYC low tax. NYC has huge infrastructure like mass transit, airports, bridges and tunnels, all of which must be paid for by taxpayers. We also have a huge public sector like CUNY, k-12, libraries, public hospitals, etc. Paid for by taxpayers. NY does a good job in covering low income people with health insurance. Paid for by taxes and all of this was true under Governor Pataki and Mayor Bloomberg. Two Republicans. Those two Republicans used taxpayer money to fund subway and commuter railroad expansion. While I support this, it means that NYC won't ever be turned into a low tax place.
Republicans in the north are liberal as Democrats. In the south and to a certain extent out west, Republicans represent a whole different meaning. Bloomberg is a fiscal conservative, but at heart he is staunch liberal like anti gun, pro choice, pro gay, pro taxes and etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City