Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 12:34 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,600,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Look at yourself. You say you hate the people in "bad" neighborhoods, if you had focused more on earning more money you wouldn't even have to deal with those people or all these programs. You should let all this government stuff go. You actually sound a lot like them as you want to take as much as you can from the government. That is plain wrong.
I sound a lot like..."them"?
Hmmm....who might you be referring to exactly?

Um, also, no, I never say I "hate the people in bad neighborhoods". And I never refer to any neighborhoods as "bad" even.

I don't like crime, gangs, or drugs (who does?).

And actually, I don't need to earn more money. In my current neighborhood, I don't have to deal with these things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 07:59 PM

88,589 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
I see. Yes I've been there. I guess you could categorize it as a city, albeit a small one.
Hence the name, Union CITY.

Oh shoot, somebody beat me to it.

Old 09-14-2016, 08:30 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,984,523 times
Quote:
I sound a lot like..."them"?
Hmmm....who might you be referring to exactly?

Um, also, no, I never say I "hate the people in bad neighborhoods". And I never refer to any neighborhoods as "bad" even.

I don't like crime, gangs, or drugs (who does?).

And actually, I don't need to earn more money. In my current neighborhood, I don't have to deal with these things.
You apparently do in your job. You say you work with at risk youth, and you don't seem to be fond of them or the places they come from.

So why not get a career where you don't have to deal with that element, and where it makes enough money for you not to have to apply for housing programs?

Old 09-15-2016, 05:29 AM

106,699 posts, read 108,880,922 times
Quote:
Okay, if you want to move out of NYC, go for it.

But for those of us who live here and have jobs here, we have to find affordable housing here.

I also don't see anything wrong with using government resources.

I think health insurance SHOULD be run by the government (for everyone, not just that huge population of Americans on Medicaid and Medicare).

So yes, if I qualified (I wish I did), I would certainly apply for Medicaid. It's more comprehensive than any other health plan in the U.S. Why do poor people only have access to a comprehensive health insurance plan?

I mean, should we not use government resources if we can afford not to?

Is it wrong to send your kids to public school if you COULD afford to send them to private school?

Is it wrong to use the FREE public library, when you COULD afford to buy the books?
In nyc i have found it is hard to find decent medicaid doctors. Most doctors who are good develop busy practices and will not see those on medicaid . Many do not even want to take medicare but medicaid is far worse

Ever see the difference between a medicaid only long term care facility and a nice private one ?

Old 09-15-2016, 08:59 AM

Quote:
You apparently do in your job. You say you work with at risk youth, and you don't seem to be fond of them or the places they come from.

So why not get a career where you don't have to deal with that element, and where it makes enough money for you not to have to apply for housing programs?
"that element"?

Wow, racist much?

No, I said I used to work with at-risk youth. I don't anymore.

Old 09-15-2016, 11:04 AM

Quote:
"that element"?

Wow, racist much?

No, I said I used to work with at-risk youth. I don't anymore.
Not at all racist. That's how you felt about these neighborhoods you see as full of drugs and gangs.

That element is quite appropriate, and you've said lots of things that demonstrate that you don't like certain people.

Old 09-15-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Not at all racist. That's how you felt about these neighborhoods you see as full of drugs and gangs.

That element is quite appropriate, and you've said lots of things that demonstrate that you don't like certain people.
I don't want to live in a gang- and drug-infested neighborhood.

I don't like people who are in gangs or who deal drugs (I do have empathy for drug users).

I certainly don't dislike the REST of the people in gang-infested neighborhoods! (the majority of the people in the neighborhoods). In fact, I know some and am quite fond of them!

The fact that I don't want to live in a crime-ridden neighborhood, doesn't mean that I DON'T LIKE most of the people who live in the neighborhood.

And...color has nothing to do with it either.

Old 09-15-2016, 11:25 AM

Quote:
I don't want to live in a gang- and drug-infested neighborhood.

I don't like people who are in gangs or who deal drugs (I do have empathy for drug users).

I certainly don't dislike the REST of the people in gang-infested neighborhoods! (the majority of the people in the neighborhoods). In fact, I know some and am quite fond of them!

The fact that I don't want to live in a crime-ridden neighborhood, doesn't mean that I DON'T LIKE most of the people who live in the neighborhood.

And...color has nothing to do with it either.
Isn't a few of my best friends are Black an old saying that racists use?

Drug dealers are people too and to say you categorically don't like this is prejudiced. I don't think any little kids in kindergarten automatically say the want to be drug dealers. This happens as they grow older due to various socioeconomic reasons, including segregation (both socioeconomic and racial).

Many of the people you want to claim are "good" people will have drug dealers and gangsters in their families and as their friends or more. You've dehumanized a big percentage of the neighborhood.

I certainly don't like negative actions that harm other people, but to dump certain labels on people (all these criminals) dehumanizes a big percentage of these neighborhoods.

Old 09-15-2016, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Isn't a few of my best friends are Black an old saying that racists use?

Drug dealers are people too and to say you categorically don't like this is prejudiced. I don't think any little kids in kindergarten automatically say the want to be drug dealers. This happens as they grow older due to various socioeconomic reasons, including segregation (both socioeconomic and racial).

Many of the people you want to claim are "good" people will have drug dealers and gangsters in their families and as their friends or more. You've dehumanized a big percentage of the neighborhood.

I certainly don't like negative actions that harm other people, but to dump certain labels on people (all these criminals) dehumanizes a big percentage of these neighborhoods.
Come on. We all know that drug dealers are destroying neighborhoods and communities and people's LIVES (their clientele). We all know that what they do is highly unethical (and of course illegal).

Of course I know that drug dealers have families, but I daresay many of their families are upset about what they do as well, and are also endangered by what they do.

I don't dehumanize drug dealers, or gang members, but...they cause a lot of violence and death.

And - call me crazy - I don't want to live in a neighborhood where there is a lot of that kind of activity.

(By the way, do you not know that there are white drug dealers and drug users? I know lots of them. Again, it has nothing to do with color.)

Old 09-15-2016, 12:16 PM

712 posts, read 530,903 times
Quote:

Most street level dealers are addicts/drug addicts. If they are not dealing then they are stealing. Drugs are expensive so they have to pay for them.

People make a choice to put a needle in their arm. You can have empathy and give people 2nd chances, but there has to be some level of personal responsibility. There seems to be this strange movement of calling drug dealers/robbers as scum, but drug addicts are just poor victims. People don't seem to realize that in many communities, the drug dealers and people who steal are the drug addicts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City