Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 05:45 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,359,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDT93 View Post
So I guess to have a "Downtown Bronx" would be to knock down the housing projects by 3rd Av- 138th st (green line metro stop)?

But do it in 3-6 phases so they'd have time to relocate. Knock down building one by one (6 phases) or 2 by 2 (3 phases). Honestly, Bronx needs a Downtown Business District. It's quite ashame that it doesn't.

Maybe, class A office buildings lining the Bronx's waterfront? Or course they'd build luxury apartments and condo's on that waterfront as well. Would have great Manhattan views.

But yeah, "Downtown Bronx" needs to happen!
If only it was that easy, they'd be knocking down all of the projects around NYC.

Did you think before you posted?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2016, 06:27 AM

181 posts, read 190,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Green line metro stop? I smell a transplant...
I'm not a "transplant" yet, and as stated above many people from NYC calls stations by their colors as well. Even if I was a transplant, that has nothing to do with what I said.

Old 10-17-2016, 06:59 AM

Quote:
I'm not a "transplant" yet, and as stated above many people from NYC calls stations by their colors as well. Even if I was a transplant, that has nothing to do with what I said.
I can assure you that the vast majority of NYC'ers never refer to a line by its color. It's either the number/letter or the avenue it serves ( mostly in Manhattan and the Bronx with the 4 and D ).

Furthermore, your initial proposal is foolish.

Old 10-17-2016, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
I can assure you that the vast majority of NYC'ers never refer to a line by its color. It's either the number/letter or the avenue it serves ( mostly in Manhattan and the Bronx with the 4 and D ).

Furthermore, your initial proposal is foolish.
Well get use to transplants (and future transplants) calling metro stops, or should I say subway stops by it's color along with it's number/letter. Especially if those transplants come from other metropolitan cities that identify stations/stops with colors.

Transplant 1: Excuse me, do you know what's the closest subway stop to Days Inn in Upper West Side?

Transplant 2: Yeah! Just take the 1 train on the red line and get off at the 96 st metro station. Or you can take the 2 or 3 train. See (looks on google map) here's the direction you go.

Transplant 1 Ok, thanks for your help... I'm Maria by the way.

Transplant 2: Hey..I'm Mike, nice to meet you Maria.

Transplant 1: You too! Aww, it was such a hassle moving here from Boston.

Transplant: Haha! Tell me about it, I just moved here from DC about 3 weeks ago. (And the rest is history.)

Old 10-17-2016, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Well get use to transplants (and future transplants) calling metro stops, or should I say subway stops by it's color along with it's number/letter. Especially if those transplants come from other metropolitan cities that identify stations/stops with colors.

Transplant 1: Excuse me, do you know what's the closest subway stop to Days Inn in Upper West Side?

Transplant 2: Yeah! Just take the 1 train on the red line and get off at the 96 st metro station. Or you can take the 2 or 3 train. See (looks on google map) here's the direction you go.

Transplant 1 Ok, thanks for your help... I'm Maria by the way.

Transplant 2: Hey..I'm Mike, nice to meet you Maria.

Transplant 1: You too! Aww, it was such a hassle moving here from Boston.

Transplant: Haha! Tell me about it, I just moved here from DC about 3 weeks ago. (And the rest is history.)
NYC has always had transplants and tons of immigrants from abroad.

Virtually no one calls the subway lines by their colors. In fact, in my near 30 years on this earth and in NYC, I cannot recall anyone referring to a line by it's color in NYC.

This and your initial proposal to remove projects (do you really think no one in NYC has proposed that yet? lol) prove that you're clueless.

Old 10-17-2016, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
NYC has always had transplants and tons of immigrants from abroad.

Virtually no one calls the subway lines by their colors. In fact, in my near 30 years on this earth and in NYC, I cannot recall anyone referring to a line by it's color in NYC.

This and your initial proposal to remove projects (do you really think no one in NYC has proposed that yet? lol) prove that you're clueless.
That's pretty hard to believe considering that I know people who move there, and after living there for more than 5 years they tend to seem to refer to stops by both colors and numbers/letters.

Maybe you don't associate (or try to) with many transplants from other metropolitan cities? Pretty sure you didn't speak to EVERY transplant or New Yorker in NY. Lol, seems like you are is angry. I'm guessing you don't like how "Piano District" is coming along..

Old 10-17-2016, 09:22 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,618,960 times
I have never heard a line called by it's color except in the funny realization my friend had in that he's been living on the red lines of many cities for his entire life. I'm sadly a transplant because my grandfather left in the 50s, but even in my 6 and a half years and before I was even living in NYC, I've never heard anyone refer to the lines by color, only by letter, number, or sometimes by the IRT or avenue they run on in Manhattan.

Doing it by color is too broad. When I go to Pelham Parkway, I don't call it the Christmas line (2: red and 5: green) and I for certain don't call the lines that feed into Jackson Heights the rainbow line (F,M: orange, R: yellow, E: blue, 7,7X: purple). It just makes no sense.

Old 10-17-2016, 09:41 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,676,999 times
If Fort Greene and Farragut are still in Downtown Brooklyn, what makes one think Mitchell, Patterson and Mott Haven will be torn down......?

Old 10-17-2016, 11:07 AM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
My friend who is born and raised in nyc calls the trains by their colors.
Now I'm not saying this OP isn't someone who moved here but its not unheard of to hear people talk about the trains by their color
I think it is....of course I know there are exceptions to the rule, but our system is not like Boston's. How do I differentiate between the A (to Far Rockaway/Lefferts Blvd/Rockaway Park), the C, and the E when they're all blue? Or the N, Q and R when they're all yellow? What does your native friend say then?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-17-2016, 11:11 AM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times
Quote:
It actually does, in a way. It's a clear example of how this city is constantly being changed by newcomers. The Dutch changed it when they got here, and now our new residents from flyover country are taking the orange line where they need to go (although that could mean that they're taking the B, D, or F trains).

How come the MTA conductors don't say red line or orange line then? That should pretty much settle the argument, and now we can go back to talking about demolishing NYCHA in the South Bronx, when there are NYCHA in much more valuable neighborhoods that are still standing.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City