Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 11:36 AM

782 posts, read 527,838 times

Advertisements

I actually think about the subway in terms of colors all the time when traveling within Manhattan. I'm probably in the minority because I rarely hear others speak that way. I'm also a "transplant" since I didn't grow up in NYC, but rather the suburbs.

When I read the OP, it was more the use of the word "metro" that made me think he/she doesn't spend much time in NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2016, 09:00 PM

181 posts, read 190,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
It actually does, in a way. It's a clear example of how this city is constantly being changed by newcomers. The Dutch changed it when they got here, and now our new residents from flyover country are taking the orange line where they need to go (although that could mean that they're taking the B, D, or F trains).

How come the MTA conductors don't say red line or orange line then? That should pretty much settle the argument, and now we can go back to talking about demolishing NYCHA in the South Bronx, when there are NYCHA in much more valuable neighborhoods that are still standing.
So because you don't hear many people include the color of the line with the st number/letter, that means no one says it? Yes, there are NYCHA in more valuable neighborhoods but I'm just saying that it seems like in order for Bronx to have a Downtown business area, the demolition of those projects on 3 ave - 138 st would be a good starting point.

Old 10-17-2016, 09:08 PM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDT93 View Post
So because you don't hear many people include the color of the line with the st number/letter, that means no one says it?
No, it means that they're wrong. The only lines that it would make sense to call by their color are the purple line (LOL) and the pea-green line (LMAO).

Its merely transplant talk that derives from cities with a subway (excuse me, metro) system that is not as complex.

And last, I leave with a parting joke (not directed at you):

"your mother's so stupid, I told her to take the number 4 train, and she took the number 2 train twice..."

Can't tell that joke saying "red line" or "yellow line"

-native new yorker

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-17-2016, 09:10 PM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times
Quote:
So because you don't hear many people include the color of the line with the st number/letter, that means no one says it? Yes, there are NYCHA in more valuable neighborhoods but I'm just saying that it seems like in order for Bronx to have a Downtown business area, the demolition of those projects on 3 ave - 138 st would be a good starting point.
Do you live in the Bronx?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-17-2016, 10:39 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,492,443 times
While I never refer to individual lines by color, I picture the trunk lines in my head by color.

But like someone else said, referring to it as the "metro" is a dead giveaway of a transplant/tourist lol.

Old 10-18-2016, 08:15 AM

25,373 posts, read 37,097,722 times
Quote:
So I guess to have a "Downtown Bronx" would be to knock down the housing projects by 3rd Av- 138th st (green line metro stop)?

But do it in 3-6 phases so they'd have time to relocate. Knock down building one by one (6 phases) or 2 by 2 (3 phases). Honestly, Bronx needs a Downtown Business District. It's quite ashame that it doesn't.

Maybe, class A office buildings lining the Bronx's waterfront? Or course they'd build luxury apartments and condo's on that waterfront as well. Would have great Manhattan views.

But yeah, "Downtown Bronx" needs to happen!

CDT, how about knocking down YOUR building instead?

Old 10-18-2016, 05:54 PM

857 posts, read 1,201,747 times
Quote:
So I guess to have a "Downtown Bronx" would be to knock down the housing projects by 3rd Av- 138th st (green line metro stop)?

But do it in 3-6 phases so they'd have time to relocate. Knock down building one by one (6 phases) or 2 by 2 (3 phases). Honestly, Bronx needs a Downtown Business District. It's quite ashame that it doesn't.

Maybe, class A office buildings lining the Bronx's waterfront? Or course they'd build luxury apartments and condo's on that waterfront as well. Would have great Manhattan views.

But yeah, "Downtown Bronx" needs to happen!

you are a certified retard heres why:

-no one and i mean NO ONE calls the subway the metro. even hipsters and snobby racist gentrifier transplants dont use that term. only metro we know in NY is the Metro North

- New yorks downtown is midtown manhattan as well as most of lower manhattan. brooklyn only has a downtown because it was its own city prior to 1898. if u knew ANYTHING about this city you would know that queens and the bronx were just villages that were combined to form a borough.

- with that said the bronx wasnt supposed to be as urban as it became. prior to the 1950s moving to the bronx was like moving to the suburbs was in the 60s-the 90s.

- the way the bronx is built it doesnt really have a downtown. the closest thing to downtowns the bronx really has is 3rd ave (locals dont call it the hub and they DARN sure will NEVER call it downtown bronx. foh) and fordham road. other than that its just a series of neighborhoods with most basic shopping needs on the main strips.

- have you even BEEN to the Bronx? esp the part of the bronx youre speaking about?????? I swear retards come on this board talking about gentrifying a area they probably never even visited......foocking idiots

- Most of the major financial activity is in manhattan. queens has a little bit of it and so does brooklyn but manhattan is the financial HEART of the city.......so what sense does it make to try to make the bronx into another manhattan????????

Old 10-18-2016, 06:53 PM

9,763 posts, read 7,481,580 times
I agree I have NEVER heard of people local OR tourists call the subway by their colors (take the orange line and transfer to the blue line only works in DC or Boston). If I'm giving a tourist directions I'll say the names of the subway (take the A/C/or E to West 4th and transfer to the B/D/F/or M).

Old 10-18-2016, 08:41 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,492,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2219 View Post
you are a certified retard heres why:

-no one and i mean NO ONE calls the subway the metro. even hipsters and snobby racist gentrifier transplants dont use that term. only metro we know in NY is the Metro North

- New yorks downtown is midtown manhattan as well as most of lower manhattan. brooklyn only has a downtown because it was its own city prior to 1898. if u knew ANYTHING about this city you would know that queens and the bronx were just villages that were combined to form a borough.

- with that said the bronx wasnt supposed to be as urban as it became. prior to the 1950s moving to the bronx was like moving to the suburbs was in the 60s-the 90s.

- the way the bronx is built it doesnt really have a downtown. the closest thing to downtowns the bronx really has is 3rd ave (locals dont call it the hub and they DARN sure will NEVER call it downtown bronx. foh) and fordham road. other than that its just a series of neighborhoods with most basic shopping needs on the main strips.

- have you even BEEN to the Bronx? esp the part of the bronx youre speaking about?????? I swear retards come on this board talking about gentrifying a area they probably never even visited......foocking idiots

- Most of the major financial activity is in manhattan. queens has a little bit of it and so does brooklyn but manhattan is the financial HEART of the city.......so what sense does it make to try to make the bronx into another manhattan????????
Weren't most of the buildings in The Bronx built before the 50s, though?

Old 10-19-2016, 12:21 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,239,214 times
"Metro" and line-color are giveaways of a DC area transplant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City