Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 12:40 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,359,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2219 View Post
you are a certified retard heres why:

-no one and i mean NO ONE calls the subway the metro. even hipsters and snobby racist gentrifier transplants dont use that term. only metro we know in NY is the Metro North

- New yorks downtown is midtown manhattan as well as most of lower manhattan. brooklyn only has a downtown because it was its own city prior to 1898. if u knew ANYTHING about this city you would know that queens and the bronx were just villages that were combined to form a borough.

- with that said the bronx wasnt supposed to be as urban as it became. prior to the 1950s moving to the bronx was like moving to the suburbs was in the 60s-the 90s.

- the way the bronx is built it doesnt really have a downtown. the closest thing to downtowns the bronx really has is 3rd ave (locals dont call it the hub and they DARN sure will NEVER call it downtown bronx. foh) and fordham road. other than that its just a series of neighborhoods with most basic shopping needs on the main strips.

- have you even BEEN to the Bronx? esp the part of the bronx youre speaking about?????? I swear retards come on this board talking about gentrifying a area they probably never even visited......foocking idiots

- Most of the major financial activity is in manhattan. queens has a little bit of it and so does brooklyn but manhattan is the financial HEART of the city.......so what sense does it make to try to make the bronx into another manhattan????????
lol You made my day,

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Weren't most of the buildings in The Bronx built before the 50s, though?
I personally have no idea but along the concourse there are many post war buildings which leads me to believe that most weren't built before the 50's. There may have been a building boom during the late 40's and 50's .

Someone more knowledgeable would be appreciated.

Interesting website for floor plans and initial advertisements.
New York Real Estate Brochures Collection: Neighborhoods
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2016, 09:16 AM

25,373 posts, read 37,097,722 times
Driving down the Hudson AUTOBAHN...

Old 10-22-2016, 03:42 PM

368 posts, read 391,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDT93 View Post
I'm not a "transplant" yet, and as stated above many people from NYC calls stations by their colors as well.

No, people from NYC do not call lines by colors, because they know that doing so is a great way to get lost, and people who are from here are not that stupid.

If you think that calling subway lines (and they are subways, not a "metro") by color is a great idea, consider this:

Suppose you want to go from 14th and Eighth to MOMA. Do you take the "blue line" to 53rd and Fifth? Meanwhile, suppose someone else at the same station wants to go to the Museum of Natural History. Does that person take the "blue line" to 81st and Central Park West? And where will either of you end up if you both take the "blue" A train, which does not turn east at 53rd Street, the way the "blue" E train does, and which does not make local stops along CPW, the way the "blue" C, and the very un-blue B train, both do.

And what is the last stop in the Bronx on your mysterious "green line"? Is it Woodlawn (which is the end of the 4)? Is it Dyre Avenue (which is the end of the 5?) if you hop on those "green lines" at 125 Street, will you ever get to any of the Pelham Bay line stations of the 6? What "color" is the local line along Queens Boulevard, or down Nostrand Avenue to Brooklyn College? If someone at Atlantic Avenue asked you which line to take to get to Brooklyn College, what answer would you give to ensure that she did not end up at New Lots Avenue (and a hint: answering with a color will not do it.)

Old 10-22-2016, 04:31 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,990,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
F off trying to demolish peoples' housing. I agree... "green line metro stop?" :/ go back to Scarsdale.
Agreed.

Chicago destroyed it's housing projects. How did that work out? They moved them to working class neighborhoods and suburbs which became the new ghettoes and Chicago has a murder rate three times that of NYC.

Old 10-22-2016, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Green line metro stop? I smell a transplant...
A newly arrived transplant at that.

Old 10-22-2016, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Yeah I'm sure a lot of people don't know what "Lexington Ave" or "6th Ave" lines mean
Someone from the 4 NYC Transit boroughs who regularly uses public transportation does.

Old 10-23-2016, 12:19 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,492,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Someone from the 4 NYC Transit boroughs who regularly uses public transportation does.
I'm guessing many people use public transit regularly but don't have an extensive knowledge of the system.

Out of curiosity, does anyone who's not an old timer or subway buff refer to the F train in Brooklyn as the "Culver line"?

Old 10-23-2016, 12:37 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,359,828 times
Quote:
I'm guessing many people use public transit regularly but don't have an extensive knowledge of the system.

Out of curiosity, does anyone who's not an old timer or subway buff refer to the F train in Brooklyn as the "Culver line"?
Never heard of it from anyone's mouth but the signage on the platforms and the train refers to a culver line so I'm familiar.

You're correct in that most NY'ers don't have an extensive knowledge of the system. Most don't even leave their boroughs.

I've heard some refer to the 4 as the Jerome line and the D as the concourse line in the Bronx. . As for Manhattan, I hear people pretty regularly refer to the Lexington, 6th avenue, and 8th avenue lines. The N/W I've heard refereed to as the Astoria line. I've never heard of anyone refer to any of the Brooklyn lines by avenues they run on/underneath

99% of the time, people just use the letters/numbers.

Old 10-23-2016, 01:38 PM

30,651 posts, read 18,255,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
My friend who is born and raised in nyc calls the trains by their colors.
Now I'm not saying this OP isn't someone who moved here but its not unheard of to hear people talk about the trains by their color
Your friend is . . . interesting. That would make sense if there was one color linked to one particular line. But, unlike Washington, D.C., that's far from the case here. When your friend talks about the "Blue Line," is s/he referring to the A, C, or E? Green Line? Is that the 4, 5, or 6? Yellow? The N or R? Etc.

Old 10-23-2016, 01:40 PM

30,651 posts, read 18,255,332 times
Quote:

I haven't heard of this. To be honest, the most common one I hear is reference to the A/C as the "8th Ave line(s)," probably followed closely by the Lexington Ave line. I do occasionally hear folks refer to the N as the Sea Beach line, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City