Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 08:58 AM

738 posts, read 585,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
Dont start with the stereotypes....heroin and drug use is not only in the burbs....can be anywhere. What's more important is the friends your kids associate with since they are easily impressionable and influenced during their teenage and even college years.

For me, the city has very poor and overcrowded schools with little extracurricular activities to offer. Second, your living situation can be like the OP'S where you have to worry about noise and lack of living space (most likely limited to mass commute as it would be too much of a headache for a car), third, you are around a lot more people and as a result you are exposed to more violent crimes and exposure to the homeless. A lot of bad quality of life issues for raising kids in the city. It's nice to visit, but not ideal to live in imo, especially with kids.

Heroin use is a real issue, suburban overdose deaths have skyrocketed. Odd, when I was a teen, me and my crowd smoked plenty of herb, took the odd pill, ate mushrooms...but, heroin? That was something some smelly junkie did in an alley. It seems it has become just another recreational drug. Distressing.

Another thing I did when I was a teen was take the wonderful subway everywhere. I used to watch birds; I'd get up at 4 AM and go to Jamaica Bay Wildlife refuge, Pelham Bay Park, or Van Cortlandt Park. Once, in the dead of winter, I saw a Great Horned Owl at PBP. Magnificent bird!

If I had lived on LI, or in burboid Jersey, I could not have done any of those great things. Also, I got to go to Stuyvesant HS.

Not having to have a car is a great thing. Driving is stressful, dangerous, and maintaining a car is a huge expense. I feel terrible for people who are poor and have to have one to commute to their crappy job at Walmart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2016, 02:02 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,943,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve1 View Post
Heroin use is a real issue, suburban overdose deaths have skyrocketed. Odd, when I was a teen, me and my crowd smoked plenty of herb, took the odd pill, ate mushrooms...but, heroin? That was something some smelly junkie did in an alley. It seems it has become just another recreational drug. Distressing.

Another thing I did when I was a teen was take the wonderful subway everywhere. I used to watch birds; I'd get up at 4 AM and go to Jamaica Bay Wildlife refuge, Pelham Bay Park, or Van Cortlandt Park. Once, in the dead of winter, I saw a Great Horned Owl at PBP. Magnificent bird!

If I had lived on LI, or in burboid Jersey, I could not have done any of those great things. Also, I got to go to Stuyvesant HS.

Not having to have a car is a great thing. Driving is stressful, dangerous, and maintaining a car is a huge expense. I feel terrible for people who are poor and have to have one to commute to their crappy job at Walmart.
No thanks on public transportation (unless Im going to Manhattan), dislike very much being packed like sardines or having to see panhandlers begging on every train or having uneasy staring at the person across from me....if you had a infant or toddler, it gets way worse commuting on the train or bus. Imagine having to go up and down stairs or having to wait in the cold for the train or bus because you're somewhere where you need to transfer from bus to subway or vice versa. Don't forget yo have to fold your stroller inside the bus. Terrible.

Yes a car is an added expense, but I will pay for the convenience of getting to where ever and when ever I pleased. Travelling by car gets me faster than public transportation (especially on weekends), I am a busy person....time is important to me. I am not at the mercy of public transportation....also it does not take me everywhere, especially in Queens. I can see the plus side in Manhattan since it is very much transit friendly and finding parking outweighs any pros of driving...but not so much in the outer boroughs, especially Queens.

So you're telling me no one does drugs or gets killed by a car in the city? That's a lifestyle choice, not dependent on locale...people don't do heroin just because it's the suburbs. Like I stated, who you associate with is a bigger factor than anything else, especially teens and young adults. I've lived in the city my entire 31 years here and attest to that not being the case.

Last edited by nyccs; 12-17-2016 at 02:17 PM..

Old 12-17-2016, 05:25 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,358,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
Neighbors who live in the same building with kids are the WORST WORST WORST WORST WORST. I cannot stress it enough. They even cram themselves into studio and one bedrooms now and bring down the quality of life immensely for their childless neighbors.
Nope. The worst worst worst in my building are these people with their yappy, little dogs. I love dogs but all of these owners are such jerks about it. I've also never had a toddler leave feces in the hallway or garage of the building but these dogs sure have. (Thanks to their useless owners.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
1. The point was that even though the dog doesn't play often, when he/she does, the noise is incredible, so yes, it relates to your little angel who I'm sure you think doesn't make much noise either.

2. Excuse me. You came here complaining about all of the hell that you're going through ad nauseum. Instead of carrying on about how "horrible" your neighbor is for actually wanting peace and quiet in their apartment (imagine that), why don't you move and take your kid to a place where they can freely run around and not be a nuisance to others? Instead you complain endlessly about how you're doing so much (when it is obviously not working). Some people love conflict. You also didn't answer my other question about taking them to the park to run and jump and play??? That's what they have those things for you know. Your apartment is not a playground and never will be. You OWN a place, so it seems as if there is a possibility that you could move into a house or perhaps a townhouse and not have to put with the endless back and forth with any neighbors, but perhaps you've chosen this arrangement? If I had a kid or kids I would buy a HOUSE. People are a trip. "My kid is such an angel". He/she doesn't make that much noise. Have you actually gone downstairs to see just how loud it sounds when your kid is playing? I doubt you have. How about you do that and report back?
Some people are just way over the top about noise---those ESPECIALLY sensitive should live on the top floor. Unless you are buying into a new building with soundproofing, you are going to hear noise and sometimes a lot of it. I hear the lady upstairs who cannot be more than ninety pounds all day long walking back and forth, cleaning, etc. Why doesn't she go to the park? How do you know her neighbor isn't one of these miserable old ladies who sits home all day complaining about the noise?

One time I was sitting at my desk when I hear some woman from another floor come onto ours and starts banging on the door of another unit. She starts screaming, "What is wrong with you? Why are you banging on my floor? I am trying to vacuum. I am allowed to vacuum. You are insane. Go ahead---call the police you lunatic." So basically the woman starting intentionally making noise (banging the ceiling) because the woman above her was vacuuming (middle of the day) her carpets that we are required to have. I think one or both of them moved out.

Old 12-17-2016, 10:11 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,358,452 times
Ah, the good old grown child-parent situation.

From what I've noticed, these people tend to be totally psychologically unhinged.

I would never consider a coop for this reason. Some moron who has nothing better to do then sit on a coop board gets to dictate the rules of how to live.

Old 12-17-2016, 10:23 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooncesdrvcat View Post
I have a neighbor from hell living below me who is constantly complaining to the board about our toddler making too much noise. I would just ignore her but she and her mother are on the coop board. They have ordered the management company to inspect our unit on no less than 10 occasions over the span of 2 years.
If they ask to inspect the apartment again, just say no. Don't let them in. I'm not sure why you let them in to inspect 10 times already. I would have cut that off a long time ago. If they take any further action, you may have to get a lawyer to defend yourself. Check cooperator.com to see if there are any relevant articles or mentions of lawyers who have dealt with similar issues.

Old 12-17-2016, 10:43 PM

116 posts, read 219,118 times
Thank you all for reminding me why I left NYC. Too many people living in too small a space.

It still amazes me how hundreds of people living in an apartment building are shocked when they hear a sound coming from another apartment.

I would not let them in and have a lawyer threaten to sue.

Then I would put your apartment up for sale. Life can be so much better.

Old 12-19-2016, 11:22 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Neighbors who live in the same building with kids are the WORST WORST WORST WORST WORST. I cannot stress it enough. They even cram themselves into studio and one bedrooms now and bring down the quality of life immensely for their childless neighbors.
Amen!

Quote:
Don't even get me started on the entitled parents who let their children rump rampant in the lobbies and hallways, ugh. Just hit a broom on the ceiling in the middle of the night after they are all asleep and if they say anything say "sorry it's my kids, they like to walk on the ceilings".
That's the problem.... Entitled parents teaching their kids how to be entitled...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooncesdrvcat View Post
When did I ever say that I let my kid loose and play around the apartment as if it was a playground? You wrongly assume that my kid is all cooped up in the apartment all day. As matter of fact, you have no idea about my son's daily schedule since I did not make any mention of it. FYI, Everyday I take the kid (who you sarcastically mock as "little angel") out of the apartment and yes, among various places and play dates, the PARK!! Guess what, can you stay and hang out in the park all day long? Neither can the kid. And even if he could, to people like you it wouldn't make a difference since the very act of moving in above you with a kid, we have committed a grave wrong against you. Yes, I would never have bought the coop if I knew ridiculous scrooges as yourself resides beneath me but sucks to be me, I thought most people would have the common sense to expect some level of noise when you live in an apartment complex. But guess what. I have a choice. I can and will eventually get out of coop living when the situation allows for it. But for you, you are without option. You are stuck with your loony head of yours for the rest of your life with nobody coming to console you in your death bed. On the other hand, you wouldn't have it any other way. You will have your complete peace and quiet either way. LOL
If you didn't, the neighbor wouldn't be complaining now would they? Nevermind, it's all in their head. They have such a vendetta against your "little angel" and your family. In any event, you already stated the solution, so no point in discussing this further.

As for me, I have more than one residence, and at each one, I refuse to let some inconsiderate individual run me out of where I live.

Old 12-19-2016, 11:43 AM

55 posts, read 41,763 times
Eh....so 'scuse me while I luxuriate a little in the schadenfreude of not having to deal with that, a SF detached home-owner. Ahhh.

Ok, sorry that's jerky of me, I apologize.

Anyhow, see what's enforceable in whatever lease or whatever you've had to sign to live where you do, and whether there's recourse there in defense of your family or in opposition to the neighbor's complaint.

Old 12-20-2016, 08:40 AM

738 posts, read 585,715 times
Quote:
No thanks on public transportation (unless Im going to Manhattan), dislike very much being packed like sardines or having to see panhandlers begging on every train or having uneasy staring at the person across from me....if you had a infant or toddler, it gets way worse commuting on the train or bus. Imagine having to go up and down stairs or having to wait in the cold for the train or bus because you're somewhere where you need to transfer from bus to subway or vice versa. Don't forget yo have to fold your stroller inside the bus. Terrible.

Yes a car is an added expense, but I will pay for the convenience of getting to where ever and when ever I pleased. Travelling by car gets me faster than public transportation (especially on weekends), I am a busy person....time is important to me. I am not at the mercy of public transportation....also it does not take me everywhere, especially in Queens. I can see the plus side in Manhattan since it is very much transit friendly and finding parking outweighs any pros of driving...but not so much in the outer boroughs, especially Queens.

So you're telling me no one does drugs or gets killed by a car in the city? That's a lifestyle choice, not dependent on locale...people don't do heroin just because it's the suburbs. Like I stated, who you associate with is a bigger factor than anything else, especially teens and young adults. I've lived in the city my entire 31 years here and attest to that not being the case.
Plan your routes and you won't have to stand. As for panhandlers, simply ignore them.

Having kids along complicates things. I'd rethink my ideas if that was an issue.

The thing about the burbs is the sheer boredom. And if someone kills somebody with their car in the city, the law has their day. Not so, sometimes in the vile burbs.

If you like it, move there. Not me. Never.

Old 12-20-2016, 08:56 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,238,729 times
Quote:
Can't bring my kid to park in this kind of weather. Kids are cooped up in their apartments playing video games or on the computer....like I was.
You sure as H3ll can. I lived in in a state where the temps in winter are typically single digit. I was a child care teacher and EVERYday we bundled up the children and took them out to play. So more like you can't take the cold...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City