Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 06:58 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I think people who immediately have their property abut the right of way worry about noise or having their stuff cleared, but there isn’t much beef from people who don’t immediately abut it. These same people probably wouldn’t be thrilled about a park either. As far as I know, there was only one survey conducted for opinions about the proposed uses of this branch and that was done in 2014 by the Queens College Urban Studies department.

In that survey, of four different options (build rail, build Queensway, try to build a rail and trail option, and do nothing / leave as is), the plurality of people thought building rail was the best option. It’s also interesting that the survey had a breakdown for the rail option to be “a higher percentage of the respondents from Forest Hills-Rego Park-Glendale (39 percent) favored reactivation of the right of way for public transportation than did respondents from the Rockaways (31.3 percent), Richmond Hill-Woodhaven (31.5 percent) or Ozone Park-South Ozone Park-Lindenwood-Howard Beach (34.9 percent).”

I think both the rail and the park are good uses of it, but rail is a much, much better usage. Build the rail and if funding ever opens up to greenroof parts of it, great.
Those percentages are bogus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2018, 08:53 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,301,303 times
Any updates on the LIRR freedom ticket? Why is it taking so long to implement?

Old 02-25-2018, 09:42 PM

5,125 posts, read 4,972,569 times
If it doesn't happen under Trump, it is never going to happen...New Yorkers, or Americans in general, have been living off the infrastructure that their grand parents left them over a century ago...they could hardly keep up with the maintenance, forget about breaking new grounds...

Old 02-25-2018, 10:05 PM

37,157 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
Any updates on the LIRR freedom ticket? Why is it taking so long to implement?
Well, it’s like last year—coming soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
If it doesn't happen under Trump, it is never going to happen...New Yorkers, or Americans in general, have been living off the infrastructure that their grand parents left them over a century ago...they could hardly keep up with the maintenance, forget about breaking new grounds...
Well, making better use of existing infrastructure, which the above freedom ticket is pushing towards, is sort of step in that direction.

Old 02-26-2018, 03:36 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
Phase one of the Second Avenue Subway happened without Trump, as did the 7 train extension to 34th Street. So yes NY can find ways to finance its projects. As for Trump he should be more worried about busted by Mueller.

Old 07-06-2018, 04:53 PM

13 posts, read 23,104 times
The AIRTRAIN JFK is doing well, but we can actually "redirect" a planned (E) extension to Rockaway Blvd below the Van Wyck Expressway after Jamaica Center - meaning it will turn below 160th Street near York College, then turn West below South Road with a station there, then slightly zig-zag around Sutphin Blvd to stop at Lakewood Avenue, then turn South along the Van Wyck Expressway with stations at 109th Avenue, Linden Blvd, Foch Blvd and Rockaway Blvd. This would mean that if the Port Authority must suspend AIRTRAIN service for repairs, they will have buses operating between the JFK Airport terminals and the Rockaway Blvd Station instead of Downtown Jamaica, to where people would transfer to (E) trains.

The (J) needs to extend Centrally towards Queens Village and Glen Oaks above the LIRR Right of Way (double-decked) while the (Z) extends to Rosedale above the LIRR Right of Way. I would have the (F) extend to Queens Village and, instead of Floral Park, Bellerose along with another line from the Hillside Avenue line to Southeast Queens in Cambria Heights partially above the LIRR Right of Way to Linden Blvd, then above Linden Blvd to 234th Street.

Since we will be unable to extend the (7) and the Lefferts Blvd Branch of the (A) any further due to elevators and escalators blocking the way, I say a new Northern Blvd Subway line should be built with three branches, College Point/Whitestone, Bayside-Bay Terrace and Fresh Meadows/Oakland Gardens featuring 2 Express routes to and from Manhattan and the (G) train as the Local.

That, along with the Rockaway Beach Rail Line extended towards LaGuardia Airport and across 125th Street (as a 125th Street Subway) with branches into the Triboro RX for service into The Bronx and Midtown via Lower Montauk Branch, would be enough for the Borough of Queens as much of the Outer Borough Rapid Transit lines should be Light Rails or Bus Rapid Transit.

Staten Islanders, however, can use Subway line extensions but that must be via Brooklyn rather than via New Jersey.

Old 01-23-2019, 09:01 PM

2 posts, read 1,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
In a perfect world the 7 could be extended to northeastern Queens

C/E train extended to southeast Queens

F train extended to Queens Village.
Man I swear you took every word and syllable out of my mouth; right on down to the nasty dollar vans! One of the worst things about Rochdale is the lack of transit. The LIRR is great but very expensive and too infrequent. The MTA should’ve done this a long time ago. The commute to Jamaica and the rest of Queens is long enough, not to mention getting to the city.

Old 01-23-2019, 09:04 PM

2 posts, read 1,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY2ATL2NY View Post
I know transit is got there hands full with the 2 ave subway but I was doing some random
Reading on wikipedia and Was wondering how feasible would it be to do it and BAM! It hit me.
According to wiki the upper level E tunnel extends some 2000 feet south toward the Atlantic branch of the LIRR
and is actually below the branch! I know the LIRR sends alot of trains to babylon,long beach,and Far rock along this branch but I reccomned MTA buying that entire corridor from LIRR and convering it to subway use such as
Was done with the Dyre ave branch of the 5 line. (Even tho that ROW was abandoned) but those displaced trains can use the st albans corridor of the same capacity just further east.

I think the line should be 3 tracks to allow for peak direction service and to obviously speed up the ride in considering the distance. Now since trains already have been running thru there for decades there shouldnt be any b****** about the noise or frequency of trains becuase they should be used it as far as the folks along the
Immeadiate route.

7 New stations as follows:

108/109 Aves
Linden Blvd
Foch Blvd
Baisley Blvd-N Rochdale
Farmers blvd-S Rochdale (current site of lirr locust manor stop)
Laurelton-225 St (luarelton lirr stop)
Rosedale-Francis Lewis blvd (rosedale lirr stop)

Considering that this was the plan in the 70s following the construction of rochdale village that holds some
25,000 people it really needs to be looked at again. The lirr does its justice...for those who can afford it.
But how about the majority who cant and this the low frequencies of the lirr trains that do stop at those 3 stations. Its a transit desert out there and its comtains over 100-200k people who currently rely on the longg bus rides to jamaica and those nasty A** dollar vans. It also takes the pressure of those buses converging at Jamaica.

As to building an Entirely new subway or EL along Merrick blvd and cuasing all that disruption I think the MTA could pull this off for relatively "cheap". The most expense would be the portal from
Subway to elevated around the york city college vicinity. Good thoughts welcomed

Man I swear you took every word and syllable out of my mouth; right on down to the nasty dollar vans! One of the worst things about Rochdale is the lack of transit. The LIRR is great but very expensive and too infrequent. The MTA should’ve done this a long time ago. The commute to Jamaica and the rest of Queens is long enough, not to mention getting to the city.

Old 01-25-2019, 10:35 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toure6 View Post

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-25-2019, 10:53 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
Back in the 2000s and even today, living away from the subways means less crime and noise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City