Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2021, 08:47 PM

204 posts, read 97,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
Unfortunately about 55% of hate-crimes against Asians are committed by African-Americans. Gee, maybe you think that has something to do with it???
just ignore him. this guy hates asians specifically the chinese. he's mad that they bought out and moved into his white neighborhood.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2021, 12:46 PM

4,416 posts, read 5,149,807 times
Quote:
Unfortunately about 55% of hate-crimes against Asians are committed by African-Americans. Gee, maybe you think that has something to do with it???
Asians are known to report these crimes more readily if the assailant is black. To much shame when it comes from whites, whom which they wish to emulate so much. They underreport when the perpetrator is Hispanic as well, but to a lesser extent than whites. Not to minimize black on Asian hate crimes as this is a travesty. Asian on black is likely more prevalent, though might not involve fists (and reports) as much.

Old 10-06-2021, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wydings View Post
just ignore him. this guy hates asians specifically the chinese. he's mad that they bought out and moved into his white neighborhood.
I wonder if he hates them specifically or he hates the policy of unchecked mass migration and how it has impacted his neighborhood. I wouldn’t want my neighborhood taken over by hateful foreigners either. In fact, I would fight it.

Old 10-06-2021, 04:11 PM

204 posts, read 97,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
I wonder if he hates them specifically or he hates the policy of unchecked mass migration and how it has impacted his neighborhood. I wouldn’t want my neighborhood taken over by hateful foreigners either. In fact, I would fight it.
How is it a take over if the people who owned the homes willingly sold it? This isn't a case where some government housing was built in these neighborhoods and the chinese flooded into them. This is a case of whites wanting to leave the city and the Chinese bought in. There is a price premium to these neighborhoods. He can't fight it because he is in the minority. He's the sucker who didn't leave when everyone else left due to unwilling to move or unable to move and now he's bitter. NY has always had a changing demo to its neighborhoods. The same feeling can be generated towards black people getting priced out of their neighborhoods because out of town whites want to live in those neighborhoods. The only difference is the white folks got a premium to leave and the black folks are forced to leave.

Old 10-07-2021, 02:00 PM

Quote:
How is it a take over if the people who owned the homes willingly sold it? This isn't a case where some government housing was built in these neighborhoods and the chinese flooded into them. This is a case of whites wanting to leave the city and the Chinese bought in. There is a price premium to these neighborhoods. He can't fight it because he is in the minority. He's the sucker who didn't leave when everyone else left due to unwilling to move or unable to move and now he's bitter. NY has always had a changing demo to its neighborhoods. The same feeling can be generated towards black people getting priced out of their neighborhoods because out of town whites want to live in those neighborhoods. The only difference is the white folks got a premium to leave and the black folks are forced to leave.
Usually for bad reasons, like racial flight. Mass immigration changing neighborhoods was a byproduct of nation building and manifest destiny. We are passed that necessity now and is an unsustainable practice in modern times.

Gentrification is another story, involving cities reverting back to their normal states of wealth concentrating in the core/desirable areas.

Old 10-07-2021, 04:40 PM

2,315 posts, read 1,150,630 times
Quote:

Chinese-Ameicans pay top dollar for homes all over Staten Island. They prefer buying in Italian-American neighborhoods because the homes are well-kept, the neighborhoods are safe and the Italians and Chinese have lived near one another, and gotten along with one another in NYC for over 100 years. Bensonhurst is now probably mostly Chinese but the remaining Italians have no reason to flee the area. A 'take over' is what happened to East New York in the early 1960s. ENY went from a stable Italian & Jewish area to a violent black and Puerto Rican slum between 1960 and 1967. BTW, the Puerto Ricans have pretty much joined the middle-class since then.

Old 10-07-2021, 04:47 PM

34,078 posts, read 47,269,417 times
Quote:
Chinese-Ameicans pay top dollar for homes all over Staten Island. They prefer buying in Italian-American neighborhoods because the homes are well-kept, the neighborhoods are safe and the Italians and Chinese have lived near one another, and gotten along with one another in NYC for over 100 years. Bensonhurst is now probably mostly Chinese but the remaining Italians have no reason to flee the area. A 'take over' is what happened to East New York in the early 1960s. ENY went from a stable Italian & Jewish area to a violent black and Puerto Rican slum between 1960 and 1967. BTW, the Puerto Ricans have pretty much joined the middle-class since then.
Expand on the bolded.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-07-2021, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Says you buddy. “Think happy thoughts”.

Old 10-10-2021, 07:23 PM

1,853 posts, read 1,954,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
Exactly right. However for Northeast Queens, that ship has sailed. Those of us who grow up in the area before it became the new China town, remember how was wonderful it was - with a definite Asian presence however with greater racial diversity. I have no issues with Asians or Chinese-Americans in particular and was devastated to see all these anti Asian attacks in NYC and elsewhere, however the transformations of neighborhoods has been so stark that many areas are no longer recognizable. I know NYC is in a perpetual state of change, and we all need to deal with neighborhoods constantly changing however the emotional factor still remains.

What I will say is that when our family member who is staying in my parents house moves out, we will definitely be selling. My parents will make a nice chunk of change likely selling to mainland Chinese. I’m not looking to rush the process because of our family member but honestly I’m so done with having to go there for maintenance/upkeep and looking forward to move on.

Parts of Flushing, Bayside, Whitestone used to look like Currier and Ives prints, unfortunately those days are a memory of the past.

If I ever need to have a place in NYC, it’ll be in UES or FHG.

Old 10-14-2021, 05:56 PM

16,029 posts, read 6,838,234 times
Quote:

I think it's all relative because of freedom of choice.

If I were riding the subway and the following took place how would you respond to what transpired?

A homeless person boards the car and I move to another car.

A suspicious looking person boards the car and I move to another car.

A panhandler boards the car and I move to another car.

An entertainer boards the car and I move to another car.

Your answer doesn't matter......My choice simply matters.

It is all about choice.

Never undermine the freedom of choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City